By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EMEAA up 15th Jan

Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

The other difference is that Nintendo bundles games people actually want and buy the system for, while Microsoft and Sony often tend to bundle shit that doesn't really move much on it's own anymore (if it ever did).

People buy a Wii for Wii Sports and NSMB.   No one ever bought a 360 for Kung Fu Panda...

Kung Fu Panda was bunded for one Holiday season along with LEGO Indy (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong.

This Holiday they had the Kinect bundles and Forza/Alan Wake.

This Holiday Nintendo had Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, NSMB Wii and Mario Kart Wii.

Right now, Nintendo are bundling Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus with the system in the UK at least. That's a lot of SW given away with the console. Although it isn't in the third of all Wii SW that I said before. It's just over a third of Nintendo's own SW.

Sure, but bundles work both ways... someone who buys a system bundled with a game (or two!) is less likely to buy an additional game.  It's not like if every Wii came with no games (like Japan) it'd have sold a third less software this week.

And point really was that Nintendo tends to bundle their system sellers and top performers almost exclusively.  It's not like WSR, Fit Plus, NSMB or even Mario Kart wouldn't have sold any of those additional units were they not bundled, their standalone sales assuredly would've been significantly higher.  I don't think you can really make the same argument for something like Alan Wake or even Forza 3 at this point.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
silicon said:
Bristow9091 said:
silicon said:

DC Universe Undertracked or not released in every country in Europe?

Yeah I'm thinking this too, that's a really low number, pretty disappointing if it's true, or maybe they've just undershipped? I know I found it VERY difficult finding a copy, I went out everyday since Friday and everywhere was either sold out, or hadn't stocked it, until Tuesday where GAME had DC Universe Online advertised all around the store with cardboard cut outs etc. and I finally got it.

PS. The game is amazing, people need to buy it... now! D:

I can't be true!!! The numbers don't make sense. Numerous reports of Europe far exceeding expectations, more and more servers being added, and reports that it has sold-out in Europe.

Yes! The game is amazing!

The game sets a new standard for MMOS imo.

no offense, everyone has their own opinion on games, but what exactly did you find in DCU Online to find it amazing? of my friends 4 of us were in the beta, none of us bought the game after experiencing that. Not calling it bad but it just didn't do anything new or exciting apart from make it available on a console as well and my only other friend that bought it has already ditched it calling it a buggy piece @@#%

Maybe it's becuase I played WoW for a really long time. It's a refreshing new game. The exploration, movement styles, gameplay, and the PVP. I have spent a lot time fighting people in the streets and PVPing, so that may have something to do with it.

I haven't noticed any bugs, but maybe I overlook them because I'm having fun.

The quick action does make older style MMOs with a set of action buttons and auto attack, seem slow and bulky.

The ability for anyone to customize the way they look, including colour palatte, does allow everyone to have extremely unique looks.

Leveling is fun. On the IGN preview they mentioned it can be tedious, but I haven't noticed that. Usually if something is repetitious I spend that time trying out different combos, or mastering attack combos. Playing from the perspective of needing to perfect attacks for PVP makes the gameplay a lot more fun.

It's also a lot of fun finding the question marks around the game. Before playing the game I knew very little DC universe lore. But by exploring and playing dugeons they reveal a lot. DC Universe is actually a lot more interesting then I gave it credit for.

Yowch for Wii HW. Not even sure if it'll break 100m this year anymore or not. $50 price cut or VS is desperately needed.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:

Oh so whenever PS3 or 360 were sold with this or that super bundle of some super attractive game and as a result had great sales (and sometimes not so great), actually their sales should have been considered pathetic? Good to know.

The difference is that the PS3 or 360 haven't sold with "this or that super bundle" for there entire lifetime.

The Wii... Has.

Should it be called pathetic? No. Should people gloat about the Wii's SW sales being amazing when a third of it is bundled? No.

The other difference is that Nintendo bundles games people actually want and buy the system for, while Microsoft and Sony often tend to bundle shit that doesn't really move much on it's own anymore (if it ever did).

People buy a Wii for Wii Sports and NSMB.   No one ever bought a 360 for Kung Fu Panda...

Sorry but Japan sales tell us it's not true.

For 2010 over 1600k Wii consoles have been sold.

WSR sold over 540k copies

Wii sports sold 105k.

1 in 15 people buying Wii in japan actually wanted to pay money for Wii Sports, 1 in 3 wanted to pay for WSR (with unknown number of them being wii owners from 2009 or before).

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

Kung Fu Panda was bunded for one Holiday season along with LEGO Indy (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong.

This Holiday Nintendo had Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, NSMB Wii and Mario Kart Wii.

Right now, Nintendo are bundling Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus with the system in the UK at least. That's a lot of SW given away with the console. Although it isn't in the third of all Wii SW that I said before. It's just over a third of Nintendo's own SW.

Sure, but bundles work both ways... someone who buys a system bundled with a game (or two!) is less likely to buy an additional game.  It's not like if every Wii came with no games (like Japan) it'd have sold a third less software this week.

And point really was that Nintendo tends to bundle their system sellers and top performers almost exclusively.  It's not like WSR, Fit Plus, NSMB or even Mario Kart wouldn't have sold any of those additional units were they not bundled, their standalone sales assuredly would've been significantly higher.  I don't think you can really make the same argument for something like Alan Wake or even Forza 3 at this point.

Well I think you can agree at the very least it would have been less, and not neglibily.  The sales would have been less, but arguing the amount is shady. 

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:

Sorry but Japan sales tell us it's not true.

For 2010 over 1600k Wii consoles have been sold.

WSR sold over 540k copies

Wii sports sold 105k.

1 in 15 people buying Wii in japan actually wanted to pay money for Wii Sports, 1 in 3 wanted to pay for WSR (with unknown number of them being wii owners from 2009 or before).

Japan also tells us that NSMBW is the bestselling Wii game, that Wii is tracking well below PS2 and that it's struggling to stay on par with PS3 outside of the holidays. Unlike what it was in previous generations, Japan is the worst indicator for worldwide sales and demand this generation.

Japan has really been a mixed bag for Nintendo this generation because it's too "core" and has generally sold casual games in relatively fewer amounts than the West so using it to analyze the sales of casual games, especially Wii Sports, is rather pointless.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

In regards to the Wii SW bundle debate going on, all we can really say for certain is that the Wii currently comes bundled with a lot of software and that there is no possible way that 100% of the people who buy a Wii would buy all of the games that come bundled with it. We can also say that it is highly doubtful that Wii owners that would buy those games would buy them all immediately.

So the bundles may "artificially" inflate Wii SW in general and may front load a lot of purchases to the time the HW was purchased.  Wii SW is by no means "pathetic".

I'm not hating on Wii SW, I'm just stating facts. Bundles increase software sales, period, and the Wii has had more bundles (pretty good ones granted) its whole life in some regions.  Due to the quality of the bundle, the "inflating percentage" due to the bundles may not be as high as the Kung Fu Panda/Lego Indy bundle from a few years ago but no one can really know what any "true" numbers would ever be.

So why don't we just say that the SW numbers reported are the "real" SW numbers and just talk about those since most everything else is conjecture :)

Carl2291 said:
bmmb1 said:

Oh so whenever PS3 or 360 were sold with this or that super bundle of some super attractive game and as a result had great sales (and sometimes not so great), actually their sales should have been considered pathetic? Good to know.

The difference is that the PS3 or 360 haven't sold with "this or that super bundle" for there entire lifetime.

The Wii... Has.

Should it be called pathetic? No. Should people gloat about the Wii's SW sales being amazing when a third of it is bundled? No.

Since they arrive PS3 und Xbox360 has been bundled with 1 to 3 games here in europe. Sometime games like Halo & Co, sometimes Kung Fu Panda etc.

And yes the Wii hard&software sales are are amazing as ever.

Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:

There is still such a Wii bundle in the UK after the holidays? I certainly don't see it in Amazon UK (and they usually repeat any great deal they see elsewhere).

Here's the Amazon deal for the WIi - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_157814307_5?ie=UTF8&docId=1000157953&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12ZJ4B3A7YV0G5FZMRTV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=224125227&pf_rd_i=506846.

On the other hand, by your definition, look at the "crappy" PS3 bundle offer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_157814307_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000437983&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12ZJ4B3A7YV0G5FZMRTV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=224125227&pf_rd_i=506846 . Who in the world would want GT5 bundled with their new PS3, and add to that AC:Brotherhood or the new NFS? (I am joking of course. This is a great bundle, a great example of what I meant in my post).

Also, some people make it in this thread as though the Wii always had such bundles, which is not true - all it had most of its lifetime was Wii Sports.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

pezus said:

Isn't that true though for most regions now? Soon, Wii will drop below PS3 in EMEAA.

No offense, but that really sounds like fan hope (trust me, I know what it's like, :P).

It'll probably keep floating slightly above PS3 in EMEAA and there's no way in hell it'll ever go below PS3 in Americas for a long period of time.