By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's next move in the fight against piracy, we all knew it'd come to this

This is really bull crap ... I mean come on I buy and sell games witch for me is great cause I dont feel the need to "collect games" and I will NEVER spend 70 euros on every single game that comes out :S.

And besides that I am always borrowing a asking for games from friends ... Dam you sony!

Around the Network
slowmo said:
stopstopp said:

Where are the piracy defenders saying it won't cause anything bad now?

It's still Sony doing this and we all know how much they love shafting the consumer (rootkits anyone).  You're shouting at the wrong people.

Of course pirates are to blame.

That said, this will most probably never happen.

Ok, this is fine and dandy, IF: They allow us to deactivate a code from a PS3 should we want to buy/sell it as used, otherwise it looks like it will be a buy/return fest on Amazon.  Also, how's Gamestop going to look at something like this?  OUCH

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Sony has to be careful how this is implemented.  They cannot tick off any used game resellers in the process...

Used game resellers profit huge from used game sales and if Sony implements the serial system it would make buying used games a random roll of the dice.  If Sony do implement serial numbers, used game resellers may decide not to stock Sony games anymore because they might lose a large part of their profits from this console to people that are afraid to buy used games on PS3.  They have to implement it in a way theat used game sales remain or risk losing retail space.

The other thing about this is that it probably would only affect multi-player.  Because, in single player someone could run a modded firmware that does not do this check so it probably can't stop piracy.  This would not fix the trophy or multi-player issues though.  As long as a legit copy of the game is in the drive modded PS3's will still be able to claim trophies they didn't earn and pillage multi-player offerings.

So this is just a rumor? or it is like 80-90% confirmed?

I gotta inform my friend who has a ps3 slim.

Around the Network
Don86 said:

Totally rumor. Never going to happen actually. Like 10% possible.

radiantshadow92 said:
Don86 said:

You gotta admit though, it was funny reading people speculating on it happening.  It would be the biggest calamity ever by a gaming company had it really been on the cards.

slowmo said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Don86 said:

You gotta admit though, it was funny reading people speculating on it happening.  It would be the biggest calamity ever by a gaming company had it really been on the cards.

If it actually happens, The 360 would actually be my platform of choice. I live off rentals.

Ok sounds good to me.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

radiantshadow92 said:
slowmo said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Don86 said:

If it actually happens, The 360 would actually be my platform of choice. I live off rentals.

Yea, I wouldn't be buying the next console either.  While I don't live on rentals, I live on buying a lot of my games used.  I guess I'd just have to play Dota 2 nonstop instead, sad day, lol.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.