By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's next move in the fight against piracy, we all knew it'd come to this

A203D said:

I think i understand how would Sony implment this, you by the disk, you get the code to use that disk inside the box. fair enought. but i'm guessing that theres somthing on the disk that tells you PS3 its a genuine code, because not everyone has access to the PSN. so Sony cant use online firmware updates to tell your PS3 what codes are genuine, so thus that data must be on the disk.

this is a good idea, i'm buy all my games anyway, so that means it no problem because it takes what 30secs to type a code in, and i may lend a game to 1 or 2 of my friends, so its not a problem. and its nots Sony's fault, they're protecting the industry, protecting developers who really depend on the sales of games, because PS3 games dont sell like Nintendos, so there livelhoods are affected.

the only question is what this could do to used game sales.

if this becomes a standard for the industry then i guess used game sales will go down which is actaully a good thing for many devs

Around the Network
Wagram said:

Can someone explain this to me in dummy terms?

i think i understand, check my post above yours, because i'm not sure i understand completely. i dont know if it will work because some people will be upset at having to type in a code everytime they buy a new game.

Wagram said:

Can someone explain this to me in dummy terms?

Every game will work like an MMO. There will be a serial number to activate your game and a serial number embedded on the disc.

This is a logical step to stop soon-to-be rampant piracy. It might just work.

I think the serial code idea is alright, however I don't like the "DRM" feature basically.

Wagram said:

I think the serial code idea is alright, however I don't like the "DRM" feature basically.

The thing is that they don't really have the choice anymore, since the system is wide open to hackers.

Otherwise, we might start seeing COD-like exploits and hacks on most/all multiplayer games.

Around the Network

Putting in disk checks would be an equally effective and more consumer friendly thing to do

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Yeah basically this is just a software key that has been around for ages.

For offline peoplez this is still easily pirated.

It really only hurts the online people and the used game market.

Thank you hackers for ruining my potential return on invenstment per game. Assholes. Just buy the damn games you want to play.

Offline:

key in box, type it in, disc recognizes key allows play.

Online:

after steps above, next time on PSN key is logged to your account. Can only be on 5 other accounts in its life for that exact disc as that exact disc also has a unique serial number.

leatherhat said:

Putting in disk checks would be an equally effective and more consumer friendly thing to do

Disk checks can be bypassed with a simple patch. Key activation on a remote server isn't easily hackable.

I don't think this is a good idea, it will just make people angry. Especially game stores.

If this stops piracy then I can live with it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?