By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision may close PlayStation Network Black Ops servers

AussieGecko said:
homer said:

They will not do this anytime soon. The game is just 3 months old, and is still selling well, not to mention it would hurt the next CoD sales on the ps3, although it could boost the 360 sales by a lot.

thats thing thing, will they release the next one on ps3 or will they just cut off the multiplayer aspect off it?

short answer: neither

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:

It will be very stupid if they do that and they will not let go of the potential sales, ps3 user base is not small as it used to be to easily ignore.

and IF these guys actually do that, it will look bad on them and they will lose millions of sales cuz of it. Not a fan of the company but doubt they are that stupid

@homer as well

They may still release it but I see them cutting off the multiplayer if this does happen. The grief they are getting from ps3 customers will probably outweigh the issues with the lost sales from multiplayer. Again this is my opinion

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

homer said:

just putting a worse case scenario out there. If they are willing to risk cutting of servers of 9million people I am sure they are willing to risk loss of 9 million others.

AussieGecko said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

It will be very stupid if they do that and they will not let go of the potential sales, ps3 user base is not small as it used to be to easily ignore.

and IF these guys actually do that, it will look bad on them and they will lose millions of sales cuz of it. Not a fan of the company but doubt they are that stupid

@homer as well

They may still release it but I see them cutting off the multiplayer if this does happen. The grief they are getting from ps3 customers will probably outweigh the issues with the lost sales from multiplayer. Again this is my opinion

lol. Are you a betting man?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

SUCH GREAT NEWS! Let cod die already.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network
homer said:

lol. Are you a betting man?

not on worse case scenarios, no. I don't think this will be a high possibility. Just a possibility

AussieGecko said:
homer said:

just putting a worse case scenario out there. If they are willing to risk cutting of servers of 9million people I am sure they are willing to risk loss of 9 million others.

worst case scenario: Meteor collides with earth killing all life.

best case scenario: Jesus comes back

most likely scenario: Life continues as it always has and CoD keeps its multiplayer.

People have to remember that:

Call of Duty doesn't have DEDICATED SERVERS for GAMES but for Stats collection. They use the already Horrendous Peer to Peer System that is clearly broken in all games that use it for competitive play but to top it off the stat collection servers are laggy, slow and plain terrible. Worst that the past call of duty games 

But servers are needed so the Peer to Peer network can work. So yes shutting off all servers will shut down Multiplayer but before people go on an flame war about how 360 had worst connection than PS3 in MW2, i will answer. 

Call of duty uses Peer to Peer, meaning players connect to the hosts ps3 and plays on there internet connection, problems are that if the host leaves the game stops, someone starts using there connection the games lag and if you live far away from the host you are going to lag. So for all games that use Peer to Peer PS3 and 360 have both equally bad connections. But the reason why PS3 seemed better for MW2 was it had Better Match making for an period of time before 360 and believed to be an direct match making port of the IW net match making. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

"In response to ongoing connection issues"  How does this make any sense, so because Activision can't program for online they are going to shut it down?

MW2 ran much smoother online for ps3 than 360, why not shut down the 360 online?

Good, then let your series lose about 5-8 million sales that you don't deserve.