By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 2 PS3/360 DF Face-Off

SpartenOmega117 said:

im probably going to pick up the ps3 version when its the same price as the 360 version. I already own mass effect 1 and mass effect 2 for 360 but I want to play the dlc so ill probably buy ps3 version eventually.

You have a particular case where I would suggest just buying the DLC on 360 now. The DLC costs ~$24 USD, so the PS3 version won't be a wise investment until you can get it lower than that price.

Besides, PS3 owners won't see Conrad Verner in ME3! You don't want that, do you?

Around the Network

a close call, but the 360 edges out the ps3 version of the game. it seems which ever version u do buy, u will enjoy a very good game. :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

CGI-Quality said:

I didn't transfer my ME save over to the sequel. Not that I didn't like the option, I just didn't use it.

I really became comfortable with the PS3's controller when playing the demo and like having all the DLC in one place. Mind you, this would ONLY be if I didn't already own the 360 version, and where I pick up ME3 is still up in the air (though I'm leaning towards the 360 right now).

That's ... the first time I've heard that.  Mind if I ask why you decided not to use it?

Damn those shadows. Khuutra's right.

Next time, I will try to choose a picture that's not in the OP lol.

And between the two versions, well, one has two DVDs and a better frame rate at some parts of the game, while the other comes packaged in a single blu-ray and has some frame-rate problems in some areas. I personally think that shephard  looked a lot better on the PS3, since he looks a little aged on the 360. And I also thought that the shadows in the 360 version looks weird  when compared to the PS3 version.

Overall, I would say either one is a good pick, if the PS3 version was released last year, I would have got that one, I never really played ME 1, so it would have been the better version for me.

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:
mantlepiecek said:

Here is a small game for you guys.

Which version of the game is this:

Try to answer without looking at OP again.

360, based on the shadowing and general lighting.

OT:

Good comparison. Only the very slightest tiniest edge to the 360, which I think is probably offset by the one-disc-has-it-all thing.

It's just a shame that PS3 owners can't play ME1.

Guess that's the best way to tell the difference.

Look at the tube behind the helmet. Im pretty sure the new engine place shadows where they should be while removing the one that arent realistic. Since a good amount of light is coming from the top left corner, the tube shadow is the more realistic shadow on that pic. Its simply non exsitent on the old engine. Some other areas are way too dark on the old engine, making look like shadows what should simply be darker. The scale of light (contrast) is definitly higher on the new engine. It seems Bioware also thought that since they did those change on the new engine.

Around the Network

Cool ! so it's basically - technical quality price vs content ... Pure WIN

The result was entirely predicatable. Anyone who has been reading Digital Foundy and Lens of Truth comparisons for the last few years will know this. Unreal Engine whether by a wide or small margin looks and performs better on the 360. I never fell for the Bioware marketing bullshit. Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) sites such as IGN did fall for such crap and repeated the Bioware line to the guillable masses time and time again rather than be skeptical like Digital Foundry was.

My opinion is the best place to experiance Mass Effect is either on PC or 360. Transfering the Mass Effect 1 save data really is part of the experiance. Plus if cost is an issue the it's cheaper to buy Mass Effect 2 and all the download content on the 360 than buy the PS3 version though the PS3 version is all one one disc.

I think Bioware missed some opportunities by not taking advantage of the PS3 strengths. Why no DTS? Why no 1080p quality FMV? Maybe it would've taken too much time and increase costs.

Badassbab said:

I think Bioware missed some opportunities by not taking advantage of the PS3 strengths. Why no DTS? Why no 1080p quality FMV? Maybe it would've taken too much time and increase costs.

Why no 1080P video? Possibly because they need to transfer data in the background for the next scene at the same time.

Anyway, im pretty sure the fact remains anyone who cared for this game surely would have it by now, aren't most the PS3 users here equiped with reasonable spec gaming PCs?

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Anyway, im pretty sure the fact remains anyone who cared for this game surely would have it by now, aren't most the PS3 users here equiped with reasonable spec gaming PCs?

If that were truly the case, there would be no reason to bring the franchise to the PS3. I'm sure, as with me, Bioware disagrees with that statement. I'm the first one to play down multiplatting a game, but I'm not naive to the possiblity that there is a fanbase on PS3 that will go for ME2.

Nothing but speculation till the numbers come in anyway, but similar things were said of Bioshock as well, and looking at the numbers, it didn't fair too bad on PS3. The majority of the fanbase is on 360, no doubt, but nearly 1 million people bought both it and it's sequel. Mass Effect 2 should be able to do the same.

I was talking about the audience here who is currently talking about the game.

Tease.

so basically it looks like if you don't have a gaming PC or 360 and ME1, get the PS3 version of ME2.

PS3 version for me thanks.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral