By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl missed higher sales opportunity

I don't play SSBB online anyway. I also doubt that there are many people that didn't buy SSBB because the online was lacking - it's primarily a local multiplayer game anyway.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I highly doubt that. Most people who are complaining about online have bought the game anyway and those who held off probably had no real intention to get it in the first place.

Bingo. The only way good online really drives sales is if its able to effectively create its own community (much as the great MMOs do, or as Halo and CoD did), which Nintendo has defused by the very nature of WiFi Connection

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I don't know if it would have had millions of more sales but the game would have been more enjoyable if the online was more robust like you said....I can't believe it was so bad - I think you are absolutely correct when you say Nintendo didn't anticipate howimportant online play was going to be (that or they knew and just didn't care)

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

You only have to add Lionel Messi as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros and it will sell millions and millions.

I know that personally I would have found Brawl to be a much more fulfilling experience if the online was better, and even more so if it allowed for DLC as in additional levels and characters.

I'm not sure how many more copies it would have sold this way but I do think it could have a been a platform for advertising lesser known games and testing out the popularity of new characters - how about a character pack featuring Professor Layton, or Travis Touchdown? or Klonoa and Megaman? or even additional levels for these characters? The possibilities could have literally been endless and would have made Brawl one of the most played games this generation if there was constant, continued support!

Other characters I would have liked to see: Billy Hatcher from Sega (as well as Tails, Knuckles, Nights, Super Monkey Ball and Ryu while you're at it), Leon from RE4, Samurai Goroh from F-Zero, Simon Belmont, Achi from Sin & Punishment, Little Mac (these two were already in the game as assist trophies), Tom Nook and others from Animal Crossing (how awesome could that have been? ) not to mention Mii support in the game!! (seriously, how was this not implemented??)

Hell, I bet quite a few would have even bought an Other M character pack simply for the opportunity to pwn Adam!

Add to that select characters from other fighters the Wii didn't get (1 or 2 from Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc which would require minimal effort to bring over, in comparison to porting a whole game) and Brawl could have been the best game this generation!

To me that just screams missed opportunity...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

Yeah, robust  downloadable content would have been ace. Smash Bros. could have had so much more longevity. But would I really desired for Brawl was online tournaments and rankings with a host of online options.

Yeah, robust  downloadable content would have been ace. Smash Bros. could have had so much more longevity. But would I really desired for Brawl was online tournaments and rankings with a host of online options.

MrT-Tar said:
Joelcool7 said:
MrT-Tar said:

I don't get peoples problem with Brawl's online, I've played it for 20 hours and I can't remember experiencing lag more than maybe once or twice.

When did you go online? I bought the game day one and brought it online before doing anything else. I was so excited to play it online. However it lagged and glitched mutliple times and the loading before matches was absolutely horrible. I remember others complaining online about how crappy the gameplay was.

Now I stopped playing it online after like 2-3 days and resorted to only playing with friends locally. I guess the servers were probubly over loaded and since it was right at launch they probubly had some other problems. But it definatly did not make a good selling point for their to be so many problems.

In the next SmashBros I expect up to 8 players , tons more playable and a cool ranking and battle system. Also I expect Nintendo to make sure the online service runs at 100% day one, no glitches no lag. Nintendo needs to better implement Smash Bros online. Also different online modes would be cool to.

I mean maybe a hot potatoe game where you hit someone to pass the potatoe on before it blows. Or how about a hold onto the flag game where one player gets a flag that they loose if hit, the person with the flag the longest wins. Or how about Team Brawl online or maybe online story mode co-op. Nintendo could really make the next SmashBros the best online game on the market, step aside Master Chief Mario and friends are gonna kick your ass.

I went online fairly regularly in the 3 or 4 months following the European launch (June 2008).  I can honestly say honestly saw that I experienced lag rarely.  On the subject of the Wii's online games, I've also never experienced lag on Monster Hunter, Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Mario Kart Wii either.  I haven't really found any lag on any of my online DS games either I play regularly (Mario Kart DS, Pokemon and MP Hunters)

My download speed is 10.6mb per second, which I now is above the national average.  Maybe that contributed?

mine is 12 mb a sec and i still get input lag on brawl. you must be lucky with it lol.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I was never able to play SSBB online except when against my own friends. Anything else was unplayable. However, I don't believe Nintendo made a big mistake. People overestimate the popularity of fighting games. According to VGChartz, SSBB is the most successful fighting game of this generation with 10.12M copies far more than any competitors.

• SSBB 10.12M
  • SF IV 3.3M
  • Tekken 6 2.77M
  • Soulcalibur IV 2.62M
  • MK vs DCU 2.42M
It seems that the expected sales for a good fighting game is in between 2.5 and 3.0 million copies. It seems that the Smash series is in a class itself. All three games combined sold 22.75 million copies, almost the total Street Fighter sales, 23.39 million copies, spread over 25 titles.
With sales like that SSBB went much beyond the public for fighting games and it is unclear how many extra copies it would sell if they included better online support.