By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SOCOM 4 releasing in April!

The Wall Street Journal says that SOCOM 4 is to release in April.

Sony Going For the Core with Motion Games By Nick Wingfield

Sony and Microsoft both made big plays for gamer families over the holidays with their respective devices for controlling games with body motions, the PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 Kinect. Sony thinks it now has an edge on Microsoft as it goes after diehard gamers with its motion device.

Associated PressThe Sony PlayStation Move.

In an interview, John Koller, director of hardware marketing at Sony’s US games division, says Sony is “layering on more and more core titles” in the coming months, referring to games aimed at “hardcore” players who are the most avid purchasers and players of games. Those players tend to favor more immersive games, often shooters and other titles with especially intense, realistic action.

With PlayStation Move and Kinect, Sony and Microsoft initially both went after more casual players with dancing, light-hearted sports and arcade-style games that exploit their different motion systems. Sony’s Koller, though, says the technology behind Kinect – a camera and sensor-based system that tracks players’ bodies – can’t match the greater precision of PlayStation Move, which uses a camera to track the movement of a handheld controller shaped like an ice cream cone.

That tracking precision is key for doing certain hardcore motion-games like shooters, he says. “The limitations are such that you can’t create all the games you want to do,” Koller says of Kinect, adding that Sony has experimented with its own Kinect-like technology.

One example: Sony in April plans to release an installment of a popular combat game – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALS – that exploits PlayStation Move to give players a more intuitive way of locking a gun onto a target than the traditional method of moving a gun sight with a joystick. In a demonstration of the game, Travis Steiner, lead designer of SOCOM 4, also shows how a game character quickly switches to a knife attack when a player thrusts the PlayStation Move controller forward.

A Microsoft spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. But sales of Kinect so far are brisk, with Microsoft shipping 8 million of the devices in the 60 days after the product went on sale in early November.

Sony said at the end of November that it had shipped 4.1 million PlayStation Moves since the product went on sale in mid-September. Sony’s Koller said Microsoft’s Kinect shipment number is “very impressive” but Sony is “happy where we are in the market.”

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Around the Network

The question is,will it boost Move sales?

Mordred11 said:

The question is,will it boost Move sales?

Yes- but its not gonna be a huge increase the week it releases or anything. 

OT- SOCOM is awesome, and I'm gonna laugh when this outsells killzone 3 despite the fact that sony is much more invested in killzone. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

So far:

January - Little Big Planet 2
February - Killzone 2
March - Playstation Move Heros & MLB 11 The Show
April - Socom 4 & Motorstorm Apocolypse
May - ?
June - ?
July - ?
August - ?
September - Resistance 3
October - ?
November - Uncharted 3
December - ?

I think Sony should pull a June 2002 and drop the price amidst a killer line-up. If they dropped to $199 in March or April, it would put PS3 into overdrive.

Can not wait to play this with the sharp shooter attachment. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

So far:

January - Little Big Planet 2
February - Killzone 2
March - Playstation Move Heros & MLB 11 The Show
April - Socom 4 & Motorstorm Apocolypse
May - ?
June - ?
July - ?
August - ?
September - Resistance 3
October - ?
November - Uncharted 3
December - ?

I think Sony should pull a June 2002 and drop the price amidst a killer line-up. If they dropped to $199 in March or April, it would put PS3 into overdrive.

Can not wait to play this with the sharp shooter attachment. 

You could also put in Yakuza 4 for March, just saying =D

Around the Network

Well an announcement is going to be made on the game multiplayer and possible release date later this month, same time the rumours on PSP2 announcement is going to be. And Socom being such an big PSP presence, i bet Socom 4 will be on PSP2 since Zipper are innovative and will find an way.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

hyerdimension neptunia, arc tonelico3 and souls zill of... comming march

I cannot wait for this game to release. I need a good third person shooter to play!

@leatherhat - I doubt it will sale more than Killzone 3. Socom is much like the Ghost Recon series if you are familiar with that series. Those games cater to long time players rather than trying to go the mainstream route. Not that it's a bad thing by any means, but previous Socom games will reflect this in terms of sales.

iLi-JoE-iLi said:

I cannot wait for this game to release. I need a good third person shooter to play!

@leatherhat - I doubt it will sale more than Killzone 3. Socom is much like the Ghost Recon series if you are familiar with that series. Those games cater to long time players rather than trying to go the mainstream route. Not that it's a bad thing by any means, but previous Socom games will reflect this in terms of sales.

It depends on if Killzone can raise it's sales game - Socom will sell alot because it'll be bundled at a decent price with the new headset. I get the feeling Zipper is making this Socom alot more accessible to - at least in terms of it's offline campaign.

Killzone 3 probably will outsell it but I don't think it'll be by much, unless as I say Killzone 3 can raise it's game and become a 4m seller or something.

Great news.  Been looking forward to this game for a long time. 

Heck, I still enjoy playing the last mission of SOCOM 1 on my PS3.  It's by far the oldest vid game I own.