By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why PS3 games sales is doing much better in Europe.?

so on what is this actually based?
on last week? last couple of weeks? or whole year?

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

plus, when people buy a console they usually buy at least 2 games
so when the ps3 hardware numbers are up and higher than those of the 360
then it's not strange to see higher software numbers as well

''Hadouken!''

I personally follow American media and the attack against PS3 is nothing short of brutal. European media is influenced by their American counterparts, but the effect is greatly reduced. I can only imagine how dead PS3 would be right now if it had been the one dying massively due to a design flaw like the RROD affecting the x360.

MS is known to have played dirty before in almost every ocasion they had to compete with someone. DR-DOS, Wordperfect, Apple, Netscape come to mind quick. Why do people think now is any different? The most pathetic example was the paid actor in Fox News claiming he had sent a dusty PS3 and Sony's technical support didn't want to repair it due to the excess of dust...

Another possible reason would be the we Europeans don't have any local vendor of consoles, so we don't favour any system due to chauvinist reasons as both American and Japanese seem to do at least to some extent.

I started this generation buying a 360, but I have to admit that I'm glad it will most probably end 3rd this time WW as the campaign ignited by MS is really disgusting to see. Also I don't love shooters nor paid online, so selling the 360 and buying both a Wii and a PS3 is my way to contribute to keep the gaming industry as I prefer it: dominated by Japanese, who have long shown a great creativity and passion for excellence as developers.

I think it is nearly impossible to come up with a reason why it is performing better in Europe on the whole being that the performance of the PS3 in Europe varies by region ...

Part of it could be brand recognition, conspicuous consumption, strength in favoured genres, machismo  or classism.

cool48 said:
Freestyler said:
Noobie, all your suggested reasons are incorrect. Brand name is one reason, the other is PAL regions are far more dominated by casual gamers than the US which is why the PS1 and PS2 done so well in the regions.

Most of the people buying PS3's right now are not casual gamers, 400$+ for a console is too expensive for casual gamers.

Most in PAL regions aren't even gamers but those into movies where Blu-Ray is alot stronger here than HD DVD (alot more than the US) so they figure they might as well get the PS3 than a normal Blu-Ray player.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
I think its because the FUD campaign against the PS3 is mostly an american thing and the Playstation brand keeps its prestige intact in europe...except maybe in UK where many gamers follow US media. many people were expecting to make the jump to the next gen and the PS3 has a varied catalogue of games.The games are expensive though,65-70 for game is some 100 dollars for game...we are getting robbed by all companies...

Nail on head. It'l take big blockbuster games to kill the fud campaigns.

What is FUD campaign?

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

albhum said:
I personally follow American media and the attack against PS3 is nothing short of brutal. European media is influenced by their American counterparts, but the effect is greatly reduced. I can only imagine how dead PS3 would be right now if it had been the one dying massively due to a design flaw like the RROD affecting the x360.

MS is known to have played dirty before in almost every ocasion they had to compete with someone. DR-DOS, Wordperfect, Apple, Netscape come to mind quick. Why do people think now is any different? The most pathetic example was the paid actor in Fox News claiming he had sent a dusty PS3 and Sony's technical support didn't want to repair it due to the excess of dust...

Another possible reason would be the we Europeans don't have any local vendor of consoles, so we don't favour any system due to chauvinist reasons as both American and Japanese seem to do at least to some extent.

I started this generation buying a 360, but I have to admit that I'm glad it will most probably end 3rd this time WW as the campaign ignited by MS is really disgusting to see. Also I don't love shooters nor paid online, so selling the 360 and buying both a Wii and a PS3 is my way to contribute to keep the gaming industry as I prefer it: dominated by Japanese, who have long shown a great creativity and passion for excellence as developers.

Sorry, while that is certainly true of Japan, it just ain't so in the US. We gave MS no special favoritism withthe XBox ast gen, and have supported Japanese consoles forever. The problem with the PS3 is that it just blew the marketing in the US.

misterd said:
albhum said:

Sorry, while that is certainly true of Japan, it just ain't so in the US. We gave MS no special favoritism withthe XBox ast gen, and have supported Japanese consoles forever. The problem with the PS3 is that it just blew the marketing in the US.

The marketing in Europe is just as bad if not even worse.Absolutely awful.As someone has already said. There's been a systematic demonising of the ps3 in the US and that has seeped into the UK market. It's plain to see. The source of that or the motives I wont speculate.

I think what happened is the launch price of the PS3 encouraged American gamers to buy 360s while it simply encouraged Europeans to wait for the system price to come down.