By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo reveals first shippment number for 3DS

Good thing mine was already reserved about 6 months ago.

Around the Network

This will be interesting, I wonder if it'll get to the stages where we'll hear of stabbing stories where people would stab the person playing 3DS and jack it. Then the stories will expand into facts and be blown out of proportion and here we go with the soiling of the video game industry again.

@OT, interesting to see such low shipment numbers, creating demand but not meeting it? Isn't that what happened to the Wii, man so many people in UK were all over the moon whenever they managed to get a Wii for Christmas when it launched haha :p.

3DS will wreck the charts with hardware, I am not so sure with software though, having such a low userbase with the first shipment and what not.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Why is everyone so shocked by these numbers?

They'll ship 2.5 million units in the West. If they push the release to the end of march the first shipment won't have to last for more than two weeks. I doubt they'll sell those 2.5 million units in a single week and they'll ship more in early April. Maybe supply will get tight but hey which console didn't sell out at launch? (Besides the Gamecube maybe )

On the other hand... maybe they can't increase production above a certain level right now... in that case... :-/

The 3DS is gonna get scarse it will be harder to get one than the Wii (when it was new) even if it costs $300. Personally i was gonna chill until it actually had a decent game, but now i might get it early just so that i wont have to wait when a game that i actually wants to play, comes.

So it turns out the actual first shipment in Japan is just 500k for Feb 26th.  1.5m is for Japan shipments through March 2011.

I'm guessing America gets 1.5m and Europe/Other gets 1m...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Psyberius said:

Umm, are we not talking about a $300 handheld?  Am I the only person who thinks that this price is going to give MANY parents a WTF when asked to fork out that kind of money?

Of course that's going to pose a problem for parents who don't spoil their kids, but it's hardly relevant to this thread.

The point is not the fact, the point is that I feel that the numbers are going to be hit by a $300 handheld.  I dunno, with regular step up upgrades being bought I don't see 3DS doing all the good... *shrug*