By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

Sales 66 30.70%

Reviews 149 69.30%

Total:215

Ok so the idea is that there are 2 games you were considering getting. Both of them came out on the same day 1 year ago ^^ (isn't that ironic ^^). The 1st game got an average review of 7.5 and sold 5 million. The second game got a awesome score of 9.5 but only sold 1 million. Which would you chose? Do you trust the reviews of games? Or do you trust the sales of the game?

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network

Lol forgot to give my opinion :P I trust reviews more than sales. All im going to say is bayonetta ;)

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Sales, definitely. Of course, they need to be put into perspective (advertising, brand name, bundling, etc.), but they tend to provide a better insight for me than reviews.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I thrust my view on the game.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I usually don't trust either but im more inclined to reviews than sales.

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:

Lol forgot to give my opinion :P I trust reviews more than sales. All im going to say is bayonetta ;)

I agree with the Bayonetta comment, i havent played Mass Effect 2, but for me Bayonetta shouldve been game of the year. the only problem i feel is that reviewers tend to give higher scores to western developed games, and Japanese games recieve harsher criticisims. 

another game i would say is Enslaved which imo is a good game, but for some reason its a commerical failure. but the reviews of the game were spot on imo.

and something that i picked up recently and really enjoyed was Castlevania, which is imho the best game of the year. and in terms of action only beaten by Bayonetta and God of War, but everything else it does better, like puzzles and level design. but its recieved moderately good sales, but the reviews again are wrong. based on the way other games are reviewed, i think Castlevania shouldve been given at least a 9 from publications. i gave it an 8.5, but that was because i didnt like the ending.

Beuli2 said:

I thrust my view on the game.

Lol how do you mean? More of an instinct kind of thing? :P

i cant judge a game until i try it so i trust my own view. i read reviews to get  an idea of what the game is about but i never look at sales to decide which games to buy.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Simple: Neither.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

A203D said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

I agree with the Bayonetta comment, i havent played Mass Effect 2, but for me Bayonetta shouldve been game of the year. the only problem i feel is that reviewers tend to give higher scores to western developed games, and Japanese games recieve harsher criticisims. 

another game i would say is Enslaved which imo is a good game, but for some reason its a commerical failure. but the reviews of the game were spot on imo.

and something that i picked up recently and really enjoyed was Castlevania, which is imho the best game of the year. and in terms of action only beaten by Bayonetta and God of War, but everything else it does better, like puzzles and level design. but its recieved moderately good sales, but the reviews again are wrong. based on the way other games are reviewed, i think Castlevania shouldve been given at least a 9 from publications. i gave it an 8.5, but that was because i didnt like the ending.

Yh i loved bayonetta and that even with the many bugs the ps3 version had xD Mass effect 2 you should definatly play. if you havnt got a 360 then get the PC version or wait for the ps3 one :P Its annoying have much criticism Japanese games get from many western reviewers :/ but i still love :3