By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Kinect/Move FPS "hard to imagine"

Eurogamer

Silver-haired EA overlord John Riccitiello finds it "really hard to imagine" a future where he's "hiding behind my couch, making a gun out of my finger" and shooting baddies in Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

"I've had a number of people ask me, 'Will gesture-based gaming replace controllers?'" Riccitiello told IndustryGamers.

"I don't think so.

"There will be genres where the gesture-based gaming, however delivered (Kinect, Move or any other device that comes down the road), will actually be the superior way to play: dance games, music games, exercise games. It's really hard to imagine [playing] an exercise game with your thumbs.

And, he added: "It's really hard to imagine that I'm going to play a future edition of Medal of Honor, or Call of Duty, or Battlefield, hiding behind my couch, making a gun out of my finger. I've tried driving with gesture-based controls; I don't really like it."

But he reckons sports games could successfully incorporate gesture controls for scrolling through menus, picking teams or "calling plays" - "that's very possible".

"The more interesting thing for Kinect and Move," he went on to say, "is going to be what happens late next year in terms of how we see them, and then what new genres sprout up to support those control systems.

"I mean, if it weren't for plastic guitars, the music sector never would have happened. In the same sort of way, what's going to trigger the hot game? What's going to use Kinect in just that way?"

Riccitiello also questions how "long lived" the popularity of Kinect and Move will be, and draws on his family's past experience with Wii as evidence. There was a console that typically housed a single game, whereas PS3 and Xbox 360 had "three or four games going at any given time". The latter were longer-play experiences, too, eating up multiple hours, compared to the short-play thrills of Wii.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-05-ea-kinect-move-fps-hard-to-imagine

Around the Network

EA would have done it on the Wii if they thought possible years ago?

way to drag the move into this

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

If he can't imagine an FPS using Move then he is seriously lacking in imagination.  It emulates (and, I hear, improves on) the Wii set up, which is ideally suited to the genre.

I can understand Kinect being a tough one but Move? Did I miss something here?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

This guy is talking from a purely sales perpective as a 3rd partry developer, even if he doesnt realise it, that is exactly what he is doing.  You can tell  by the last parapraph.

He is sort of correct. Kinect and FPS?...  I dont think so!   Move and FPS?...  No developer in their right minds would release a MOVE only FPS, there just will not be the install base to support it. (optional move support is another matter)

then i suppose we can make a thread titled:

Koweniki: Kinect FPS unlikely! Move always an option though!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Why doesn't Riccitiello stamp a "We will always be 2nd place to Activision" on his forehead with this kind of bunk. Seriously, as the head of the company anything should be possible, nothing should be too hard to develop for, and the future should be limitless.

He should be pushing a public line like this or he should politely decline to discuss a FPS on Move/Kinect. Riccitiello is not developing the games so what does he know what is hard and what is easy in gaming development? If it is hard, then why is he not delegating, like a good executive, these types of interviews to a game developer from EA? At the very least, the questions should be screened a week in advance so he can answer them in a manner that is full of unbridled optimism.

His job is at the top floor schmoozing with the VPs and handling the business aspects. He should not be talking about something that is "hard to imagine."

kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
kowenicki said:

This guy is talking from a purely sales perpective as a 3rd partry developer, even if he doesnt realise it, that is exactly what he is doing.  You can tell  by the last parapraph.

He is sort of correct. Kinect and FPS?...  I dont think so!   Move and FPS?...  No developer in their right minds would release a MOVE only FPS, there just will not be the install base to support it. (optional move support is another matter)

if you like... but nobody will be interested... the install base simply isnt there

oh and who is this koweniki chap?

You know..that guy who is always delusional and unreasonable xD.

kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
kowenicki said:

if you like... but nobody will be interested... the install base simply isnt there

oh and who is this koweniki chap?

some hypothetical person i deliberately choose so nobody would feel associated with

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

kowenicki said:

Careful fella... I was banned for calling someone deluded.   Then again... thats me not you, I think I have a few hundred eyes watching my every post.  Dammit now I am acting paranoid... did i mention I was also banned for calling someone paranoid?

Damn.I should stop talking with you,before I get banned for it :D.