By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohot KO's Sony. PS3 now open to Custom Firmware, homebrew and hacks.

AdventWolf said:

^I don't think there will be any problems for users if they act responsibly.
I joined the PSP homebrew scene in 2007 and have had zero problems.

Same here.

I also have seen people for years asking for games like Xenogears to come to PSN so it could be played on their PSPs.

I own Xenogears and wanted the same, so I went ahead and played it on PSP... about 3-4 years ago.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
KylieDog said:

Claiming homebrew isn't mainly for piracy is like claiming people buy PS3s for the ability to play MP3s.

But the people here buy consoles just because the ability of run pirated games.

If people end up buying the console only to play pirated games then what do you or Sony lose?

If it wasn't able to do so they obviously would have never purchased it in the first place.

See how that works?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Ajescent said:

Here's a question someone asked on gamefaqs: Now that the ps3 systems are hacked, how safe is your ps3 from Malware and crap like that?

I would say fairly safe. Sony made the PS3 so that it could withstand viruses. The only way I see a hacker putting a virus on the PS3, is with hard work, and good knowledge of the PS3's OS. The only two who could hack it are Geohot, and that other guy.

On the other hand, provided that Sony doesn't patch this up, it may be possible to run windows, through linux, through homebrew. Windows gets viruses, so anything is possible.

Euphoria14 said:
ethomaz said:
KylieDog said:

Claiming homebrew isn't mainly for piracy is like claiming people buy PS3s for the ability to play MP3s.

If people end up buying the console only to play pirated games then what do you or Sony lose?

If it wasn't able to do so they obviously would have never purchased it in the first place.

See how that works?

tell that to the developers who make the game and then expect a cut from sales of theirs games but Alas....

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Euphoria14 said:
AdventWolf said:

^I don't think there will be any problems for users if they act responsibly.
I joined the PSP homebrew scene in 2007 and have had zero problems.

Same here.

I also have seen people for years asking for games like Xenogears to come to PSN so it could be played on their PSPs.

I own Xenogears and wanted the same, so I went ahead and played it on PSP... about 3-4 years ago.

Hell yeah, I'm not going to pay money to add PS1 games to my PSP that I already own.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
ethomaz said:
KylieDog said:

See how that works?

I lose all the things... all the grow of the game market in Brazil started because the PS3 had not pirated yet... the first time I can say that Brazil become a intersting market for Sony is now with PS3... meanwhile Nintendo and Microsoft do anything because of piracy.

I don't want to go back to the PS2's age with no support for my country.

Killzone 3 will be dubbed in PT-BR ... you know what that means in my country?

KylieDog said:
Euphoria14 said:
KylieDog said:

Home brew is championed by piracy.  Anyone doubting this is kidding themselves.  Yeah there are other apps but piracy is the reason people buy it.

Anyone acting like piracy will kill a console is kidding themselves just as much.

Just ask the PS2 and Wii if piracy destroyed them.

This is why the whole issue of piracy is overblown. Black Ops was pirated in 2010 more than MW2 was pirated in 2009 if I am not mistaken, but isn't it outselling it in the same span?

CoD sells craploads, small devs with games not expected to sell much can suffer horribly from even a small loss of sales.

In fact ignore that, you are trying to justify piracy.  Speaks for itself.

Where did I say justify piracy? Isn't my entire argument here in favor of homebrew?

In fact ignore that, you are just trying to create something that isn't there. 

I am currently uploading a picture that will show that the size of my PURCHASED gaming collection most likely equals and/or surpasses your own. Hope you enjoy being shown that you are speaking out without reading what I write.

Also it will have my daughter in it as she is tearing it apart, that way nobody can call bullshit on me. Maybe then people will decide to do their research before calling me out on bogus shit.

Currently playing:

tough break for Sony, hopefully something will come along in the future to combat the piracy, I will continue to buy games for my PS3 legally just like I do for all my other systems.

Nice, Prices go up, Devs Go under, Pirates get free games, Everyone else (might) get a New internet Browser!

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

PS3/PS2 game rack destruction from view of the rack.

PS3 PS2 game rack in view of destruction on floor.

Now if you would prefer I can go in the other room so I can take some photos of my Wii games.

Damn, I am such a dirty pirate. 

Currently playing: