By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do I have to point out the elephant in the room?

Do I have to point out the elephant in the room?

You think they should leave the comments. 8 80.00%

They should erase everything. 2 20.00%

Total:10

hmm....seems you were right, disolitude.   Not sure I like that feature, might talk to Brett about it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

My comment disappeared, but the tally was still 13 comments on that article. There were actually only eleven left with mine missing, but that must include one of a permabanned user, because the comment count was already off by one when I posted a couple of days ago.

This is correct. It's why I always delete the comment of a user I'm about to permaban if I see the comment first. It'd be nice if this number could be fixed to remove banned user counts, but I don't know how much work it would entail...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dunno001 said:
bannedagain said:
dunno001 said:

Like I mentioned on your wall, there are only 3 classes of comments that I delete:

-An obvious oops/internet hiccup resulting in a double post. (And I will always leave one instance of it, unless it violates another class.)

-A user gets permabanned. (And in this case, I don't have to delete it, the software removes it automatically. I usually do delete it anyway so as to help keep the comment count correct. Most things in this class are spambots.)

-A user is trolling or flaming, as Torillian mentioned. All comments removed for this reason are also supposed to be documented in the moderator's area.

Since Gamrfeed is a gateway for many people to the VGC network, it does need to be watched. Criticizm and the like are fine; it helps to make the writer stronger and shows that we can have serious conversations (and thus lead to possibly more people joining GamrConnect). However, if people see the trolling and flaming, then it becomes thought that said actions are acceptable to the site, and it will, frankly, attract a lower class of internet users.

Actual removement of site criticizm I would also see as a problem. It would mean that we, as a site, think we are above the "mere user", that what we say is right and final. That puts people into the position you seem to be in now- afraid, or not wanting, to post, since it won't be looked at seriously. This creates a stagnation of the site- few newer users are unable to offset the natural site defections that happen at every forum, and we would become relegated to an internet clique, not as the serious discussion site that we strive to be.

I, like Tor (but not in a position to do anything about it), would also be interested in examples. Since there is no actual alert function for trolling or flaming in the news articles, they are harder to patrol. (This is why I tell users to feel free to PM me or another mod with any perceived problems in them.) Constructive feedback, of both the positive AND NEGATIVE varities, does not violate the rules, and should not be removed. I also have been told by some site members that, for better or worse, I seem to be one of the more visible moderators in the forums. And if someone wonders why I do something, they're welcome to ask me, even if the action was not against them directly. There is a reason for everything I do in an official capacity, just as there should be for everyone else who acts as such. And this includes comment deletions.

I reacted to someone else's comment and my past experience. Not anything you did. So it wasn't on you just put down my thoughts and your article was the one it happened on, sorry about that.

Well, it wasn't my article; I'm only a moderator, not a writer. I wasn't sure if this thread were created in response to my wall post to you, the fact that the news comment about it was in an article I just went through with several trolls, or what. Since I was just active on doing what you were commenting on where you commented, I didn't want there to be any confusion.

My bad, I just realised that it wasn't you that wrote the article.  WHooops

Smeags said:

Writers themselves can delete comments from GamrFeed articles (I've deleted a couple of Spambot messages myself), so it's not just Moderators or Admins that can do so (aka, the plot thickens).

That said, you better post a nice comment on my VGC Most Wanted January Edition posts coming up this month or else!

P.S. If you feel like there's some issue with the staff, contact either Machina or Captain Havok. Unless it's about me. Then you can PM Rol. He'd love to hear all about it. ^_^

I also only use it to delete spam comments. The line between trolling/flaming and a perfectly legal post is faint, and I don't want to overstep it without authority.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

your posts only disappear if you've been permabanned.