By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Microsoft lying to their customers about Playstation Network ?

I hope he is lying. There are a lot of lying in business. But if Sony really start charging for online game they will lose lots of customers. Some gamers prefer PS3 over X360 because it offer free online eventhough PSN is not as great as XBL. Lot of PS3 owner will migrate to X360 unless Sony drastically improve PSN service beyond XBL which unlikely to happen. Currently number of XBL active users still more than PSN despite charging fee. Free online is the biggest advantage PSN have againts XBL other than exclusive classic games (especially from Japanese developer) and exclusive DLC.

Around the Network
mchaza said:

It would cost sony more for charging for PSN then they would making money off it 

they have spent alot of marketing and all the lables on games on PSN is an "Free Service" 

To change would take years of preparations in making sure games have the no more free service anymore, advertsing changes and informing the public. 

Something that would COST sony far more than they would make. Because they will alienate there customers who wont pay.

So answer your question is Highly Unlikely.

I'm pretty sure xbox live proves that statement false.  It pulls in about a billion dollars a year.

Same bullshit as telcos salespeople. I blacklisted two telcos of which the real bills ended up being far higher than what they advertised, by a difference too much higher than what happens with their competitors. Now, whenever their salespeople call with  some incredible offer, I clearly tell them that they won't rip me off again, with a few tens theoric saving per year that instead becomes several hundreds overcharge compared to competitors.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Well, if true, I guess that's 2 services we need to cancel!

If they charge for online im selling my PS3 in protest well i might do depends on how much if they do start charging.

Around the Network
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:

I'm surprised that a rep from M$ put down one of their competitors *rolls eyes*

Everytime a rep from M$ has an interview with any game journalist - mention of their competitors not being able to keep up, or not having nothing good compared to the 360's library of games etc etc etc comes up.. This is really one of my reasons for boycotting the 360. I don't want to be part of that type of *clique* as it seems the majority of 360 users have the same damn opinion.

Now before anyone flames me for just being a Sony fanboy - please listen. The 360 was my first "next-gen" console and I loved it. I'm familiar with Live, the exclusives etc, but after the problems that occurred with my consoles (3 rrod), the disappointments in wasting money on their exclusives (I absolutely hate Halo,) and wasting money on Live - I have no reason to stick up for the x360 and M$.

I've worked for call centres before, and the one thing you're not supposed to do is talk about competitors at all. It's really pathetic how it seems that every M$ fanboy is brain-washed. Trust me.. I have an aunt who works for M$ and her son can't even have a PS3.

DUDE, all companies do this. You can say the same about any console lover of a different kind.  Sony ps2 was horribly and flawed and failure rate was just as bad. So some of us that had to deal with that and then get told after three broken ps2's that they won't fix one is in the same boat. PS3 YLOD is a problem too. here's the deal though, it's not covered like M$. M$ atleast fixed the problem and put a billion where there mouth was.  More then sony can say, ps2 was  never warrantied like 360 and it had just as many problems.

SO I think you are really being biased and just chosen to not see what sony has done in the past and present.

Lol that's funny that you pretty much say Sony doesn't care. When my first PS3 broke they actually sent me a NEW one and not a re-furbished piece of shit that was going to break in 5 months. I really couldn't care less what Sony did in the past in terms of customer support. All I know is that I have been treated with respect, honesty, and quality devices since 95'

And Of course I choose to be biased towards one system more then the other due to my past experiences. Why would I continue to support a company where everything I had bought from them had eventually, completely gone to shit? My opinion on the matter is due completely from MY own experiences and no one elses - which I stated in the second column of my original post.

Judging from your sig, I can see where your loyalty is at and I respect that. Just don't come in here quoting my shit just because I have an opinion and you're just bored. You clearly have nothing better to do then try and start a flame war.

I pointed out that your being a little biased. I have three buddy's that had there ps3 break and guess what they all had to pay 190 to get it fixed. one 6 months after he bought it, another a year, not sure about the other.  When I had RROD on my original xbox 360 I went to wal-mart and they traded me out a new core right there. That was because M$ backed there product so good that wal-mart was able to just trade out there if you bought there. 

MY POINT IS THAT EVERY COMPANY HAS ISSUES AND WHEN IT CAME TO SONY AND THE PS2, THEY DID NOT BACK THERE PRODUCT. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD THIS ISSUE. I HAD 3 PS2'S AND ALL OF IT WAS A JOKE TRYING TO WORK WITH SONY.  THEY NEVER REPLACED NOT A ONE. My opinion.

Yes I backed a product such as M$ because sh-t happens and it's how you handle the issue that defines them as a company. My first original xbox, not 360 still works great and has been played for ever.

You came in here talking about xbox fanboys and stereo typing them and calling people out. So when you go saying things like that you will get a response and that actually would be flaming that you started.

What clique am I part of? Same opinions?  I would never group all ps3 fans together. One, they are good people and bad out there. I don't think ps3 has anything to do with there friends or the way they act. They are all different and have way different points of view. Most xbox fans don't come onto the internet gaming forums because you get harrassed constantly by other system lovers. So the harsh words are not needed.

Why would he pay $179 after 6 months....if you have proof of purchase, the ps3 warranty covers it for 1 year.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

The "Paid for Playstation online" was PSN Plus which apparently has been a great success for Sony. They have no reason to charge for the basic online play, they will just make Plus more and more apetizing to get more subscribers. The PS Store has also been doing great in terms of sales.

So no, Sony will not be charging for basic online play, they will simply add more features to the Plus subscription.

Baalzamon said:
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:

Everytime a rep from M$ has an interview with any game journalist - mention of their competitors not being able to keep up, or not having nothing good compared to the 360's library of games etc etc etc comes up.. This is really one of my reasons for boycotting the 360. I don't want to be part of that type of *clique* as it seems the majority of 360 users have the same damn opinion.

Now before anyone flames me for just being a Sony fanboy - please listen. The 360 was my first "next-gen" console and I loved it. I'm familiar with Live, the exclusives etc, but after the problems that occurred with my consoles (3 rrod), the disappointments in wasting money on their exclusives (I absolutely hate Halo,) and wasting money on Live - I have no reason to stick up for the x360 and M$.

I've worked for call centres before, and the one thing you're not supposed to do is talk about competitors at all. It's really pathetic how it seems that every M$ fanboy is brain-washed. Trust me.. I have an aunt who works for M$ and her son can't even have a PS3.

DUDE, all companies do this. You can say the same about any console lover of a different kind.  Sony ps2 was horribly and flawed and failure rate was just as bad. So some of us that had to deal with that and then get told after three broken ps2's that they won't fix one is in the same boat. PS3 YLOD is a problem too. here's the deal though, it's not covered like M$. M$ atleast fixed the problem and put a billion where there mouth was.  More then sony can say, ps2 was  never warrantied like 360 and it had just as many problems.

SO I think you are really being biased and just chosen to not see what sony has done in the past and present.

Lol that's funny that you pretty much say Sony doesn't care. When my first PS3 broke they actually sent me a NEW one and not a re-furbished piece of shit that was going to break in 5 months. I really couldn't care less what Sony did in the past in terms of customer support. All I know is that I have been treated with respect, honesty, and quality devices since 95'

And Of course I choose to be biased towards one system more then the other due to my past experiences. Why would I continue to support a company where everything I had bought from them had eventually, completely gone to shit? My opinion on the matter is due completely from MY own experiences and no one elses - which I stated in the second column of my original post.

Judging from your sig, I can see where your loyalty is at and I respect that. Just don't come in here quoting my shit just because I have an opinion and you're just bored. You clearly have nothing better to do then try and start a flame war.

I pointed out that your being a little biased. I have three buddy's that had there ps3 break and guess what they all had to pay 190 to get it fixed. one 6 months after he bought it, another a year, not sure about the other.  When I had RROD on my original xbox 360 I went to wal-mart and they traded me out a new core right there. That was because M$ backed there product so good that wal-mart was able to just trade out there if you bought there. 

MY POINT IS THAT EVERY COMPANY HAS ISSUES AND WHEN IT CAME TO SONY AND THE PS2, THEY DID NOT BACK THERE PRODUCT. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD THIS ISSUE. I HAD 3 PS2'S AND ALL OF IT WAS A JOKE TRYING TO WORK WITH SONY.  THEY NEVER REPLACED NOT A ONE. My opinion.

Yes I backed a product such as M$ because sh-t happens and it's how you handle the issue that defines them as a company. My first original xbox, not 360 still works great and has been played for ever.

You came in here talking about xbox fanboys and stereo typing them and calling people out. So when you go saying things like that you will get a response and that actually would be flaming that you started.

What clique am I part of? Same opinions?  I would never group all ps3 fans together. One, they are good people and bad out there. I don't think ps3 has anything to do with there friends or the way they act. They are all different and have way different points of view. Most xbox fans don't come onto the internet gaming forums because you get harrassed constantly by other system lovers. So the harsh words are not needed.

Why would he pay $179 after 6 months....if you have proof of purchase, the ps3 warranty covers it for 1 year.

IT was a power issue or something they wouldn't cover. Not sure, he was pretty pissed. I told him he should have called a few time and talked with a few different people before sending it in.

He just uses it as a blueray player and bought a xbox 360 anyway. All though I made him get GT5 because I wanted to try it. Forza better step it up. well i bet that he would have got it anyway but I put my 2 cents in.

bannedagain said:
Baalzamon said:
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:
bannedagain said:
vr6GOLFr32 said:

IT was a power issue or something they wouldn't cover. Not sure, he was pretty pissed. I told him he should have called a few time and talked with a few different people before sending it in.

He just uses it as a blueray player and bought a xbox 360 anyway. All though I made him get GT5 because I wanted to try it. Forza better step it up. well i bet that he would have got it anyway but I put my 2 cents in.

No matter what the problem was with the console - Sony would have covered him free of charge with a receipt of purchase. The only way he would have been denied any coverage would have been if the machine was tampered with. A "power issue" like a power outage wouldn't have cause Sony to refuse covering his system within the 1 year term. Power outages happen randomly and it wouldn't make sense he would be denied coverage at all. This is exactly why I have a $50 surge protector with its own warranty just in-case.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

title is misleading. just because one dude at the service is trying to keep the customer (which is absolutely logical btw every customer service will tell you similair things when its about keeping customers) doesnt mean that microsoft is behind it neither lying. And since sony was marketing with free online play i think it's bullshit.