By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Microsoft lying to their customers about Playstation Network ?

Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:

As someone else said, I doubt a customer service rep would really know whether something like that is true or not. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised of you/we had to pay to play online on PSN soon. Sony isn't really known for keeping its word (Other OS).

I think the whole Other OS thing was a bit amplified...that affected what, maybe 0.5% of users?  Charging to play online would probably affect 50% or more of users.

Oh, I agree, but the point is that even a few months before they removed it, Sony said they would never remove it.

Yes, that would classify as a blatant lie to the consumer...didn't it supposedly have something to do with the security of the console though?  If it was for any reason but that, I could see being completely angry, but they want to keep the console from being hacked.

Indeed, but take the idea of 'preventing hacking' to a simpler form of 'preventing loss of money'. If they start charging for online play, they can attempt to justify it by saying they're trying to prevent further loss of money (worded in some other manner obviously). In essence, it's the same idea at its core, but so many more people will react negatively to it.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:

As someone else said, I doubt a customer service rep would really know whether something like that is true or not. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised of you/we had to pay to play online on PSN soon. Sony isn't really known for keeping its word (Other OS).

I think the whole Other OS thing was a bit amplified...that affected what, maybe 0.5% of users?  Charging to play online would probably affect 50% or more of users.

Oh, I agree, but the point is that even a few months before they removed it, Sony said they would never remove it.

Yes, that would classify as a blatant lie to the consumer...didn't it supposedly have something to do with the security of the console though?  If it was for any reason but that, I could see being completely angry, but they want to keep the console from being hacked.

I can't say I remember reading any statements from SCE that OtherOS/Linux installation was inextricably tied to the PS3 and that they "would never remove it" but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Or maybe someone is getting that claim mixed up with the SCE statement that PSN would "always be free."

I had one guy working at a game shop back in 2007 tell me about how great the feature was (he developed Linux programs) and I said it sounded interesting and that I'd get around to it. Fast forward to 2010 and I had still yet to install the many Linux installers I have downloaded onto any PC I own, let alone a PS3.

I actually kept the firmware on my 60GB SKU downgraded until I came to the conclusion how ridiculous that was to keep a feature I'd never use.

r505Matt said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:

Indeed, but take the idea of 'preventing hacking' to a simpler form of 'preventing loss of money'. If they start charging for online play, they can attempt to justify it by saying they're trying to prevent further loss of money (worded in some other manner obviously). In essence, it's the same idea at its core, but so many more people will react negatively to it.

Yeah but free online is one of the biggest draws (if not the biggest) of the PS3. Besides, if they cancelled free online, they would probably lose more money than they would save. I could see a lot of customers buying Xbox instead. 

Well,1 guy does not represent a whole company.Remember that that dude's job is to keep you spending your money on the place he works,and if it means lying,then so be it,which I don't agree with.

But in answer to your question,no,Microsoft didnt tell you that lie,it was that guy

greenmedic88 said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:
Baalzamon said:
r505Matt said:

I can't say I remember reading any statements from SCE that OtherOS/Linux installation was inextricably tied to the PS3 and that they "would never remove it" but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Or maybe someone is getting that claim mixed up with the SCE statement that PSN would "always be free."

I had one guy working at a game shop back in 2007 tell me about how great the feature was (he developed Linux programs) and I said it sounded interesting and that I'd get around to it. Fast forward to 2010 and I had still yet to install the many Linux installers I have downloaded onto any PC I own, let alone a PS3.

I actually kept the firmware on my 60GB SKU downgraded until I came to the conclusion how ridiculous that was to keep a feature I'd never use.

I remember when all of this stuff was going down, I was able to find articles from multiple sources quoting Sony saying something like "we will always support the other OS feature". I tried to find one of them now, but instead I get tons of results about Sony being sued; maybe I'll find it later.

@Jay520, Oh there's little doubt that it would be an awful business move, but that doesn't mean it won't happen or couldn't happen.

Around the Network

They asked me why I was cancelling but I said I wasn't interested in online gaming. Lmao he couldn't say anything to it.

LOL!!! they don't wanna lose costumers of course he's gonna do that.

I'm surprised that a rep from M$ put down one of their competitors *rolls eyes*

Everytime a rep from M$ has an interview with any game journalist - mention of their competitors not being able to keep up, or not having nothing good compared to the 360's library of games etc etc etc comes up.. This is really one of my reasons for boycotting the 360. I don't want to be part of that type of *clique* as it seems the majority of 360 users have the same damn opinion.

Now before anyone flames me for just being a Sony fanboy - please listen. The 360 was my first "next-gen" console and I loved it. I'm familiar with Live, the exclusives etc, but after the problems that occurred with my consoles (3 rrod), the disappointments in wasting money on their exclusives (I absolutely hate Halo,) and wasting money on Live - I have no reason to stick up for the x360 and M$.

I've worked for call centres before, and the one thing you're not supposed to do is talk about competitors at all. It's really pathetic how it seems that every M$ fanboy is brain-washed. Trust me.. I have an aunt who works for M$ and her son can't even have a PS3.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

Ok, so a few things:

• 1) I don't believe.  No offense, I just don't.  There may be true pieces to the story, but then you either weren't listening or are leaving out information.
  • 2) If by some strange circumstance your story is true, don't a MS representative to tell you Sony policy, trust Sony to tell you Sony policy.
  • 3) If by some strange circumstance your story is true, it's probably just some guy, not MS telling them any insider info.