By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS3 May Have Just Had Its Front Door Kicked In

For the n00bies who don't get it: This is game over for PS3's security. We can now sign any code; indistinguishable from Sony's own signature, and execute it on any PS3 (any firmeware, too!) without the need for any hardware-mod or even a jailbreak dongle. And Sony can't revoke the previous keys because that would render ALL old games unplayable.
I told you so:
Remember my enraged posts from back when Sony stole Linux from previously sold consoles? Just like predicted in March, they painted a HUGE target on their backs with their idiotic, short-sighted (and illegal!) action, that really prevented nothing. Now they got what they deserved, in a worse way than anyone could have possibly imagined. No doubt, this will hurt them dearly. This is a huge victory for consumer rights: We got back what they stole, and then some. Maybe next time they'll think twice before REMOVING advertised features from their products after the fact.
Better luck with PS4. And remember, don't screw with the wrong people.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network
twesterm said:
d21lewis said:

Serves them right for the time that Dual Shock 3 start button cut my finger.  That start button is too damned pointy!

Oh man, fuck that pointy start button!

That's exactly the thread I was thinking of!  Lol!

he mentions vg chartz near the start :)

Damnyouall said:
For the n00bies who don't get it: This is game over for PS3's security. We can now sign any code; indistinguishable from Sony's own signature, and execute it on any PS3 (any firmeware, too!) without the need for any hardware-mod or even a jailbreak dongle. And Sony can't revoke the previous keys because that would render ALL old games unplayable.
I told you so:
Remember my enraged posts from back when Sony stole Linux from previously sold consoles? Just like predicted in March, they painted a HUGE target on their backs with their idiotic, short-sighted (and illegal!) action, that really prevented nothing. Now they got what they deserved, in a worse way than anyone could have possibly imagined. No doubt, this will hurt them dearly. This is a huge victory for consumer rights: We got back what they stole, and then some. Maybe next time they'll think twice before REMOVING advertised features from their products after the fact.
Better luck with PS4. And remember, don't screw with the wrong people.

If this leads to me not being able to play my games in peace without cheaters/hackers doing unwanted things online, then I don't see this as a "victory". 

And this is coming from a consumer.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

lol,..pirates of caribeam on in ,1,2,3..

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:
I told you so:
Better luck with PS4. And remember, don't screw with the wrong people,

''AMÉN HERMANO''¡¡¡¡¿....Best post ever made..I love the people with common sense..

This actually sounds pretty awesome (though pretty bad in just as many ways, of course).  From what I've read through other sources, people will now be able to create their own custom programs for ps3 that are officially signed like any other ps3 software, allowing said programs to work on any ps3, regardless of official/unofficial firmware.  It'll essentially be like Android.  Anybody can make apps for it.

I hope we see stuff on the same level as PSP.  I mainly want .mkv support, but more robust multimedia functionality in general would be awesome.

My only fear at the moment is that people will be able to use this to cheat in games or pad their Trophy scores.  I hope that's not the case.  That was the main reason PSP never got Trophies, after all.

Honestly I'm more concerned about gamers using cheats/hacks online more than anything. I'd imagine that PS3 piracy isn't going to be very popular because the ISOs are huge. It will take a shitload of time to download the games and lots of people are capped by restrictive bandwidth limits. Here in Canada, Rogers Cable caps you at 60 GB/month and I think Bell's limit is similar. Gamers with large bandwidth allowances or unlimited bandwidth could just download all the games if they are patient enough though.

Now that I think about it, maybe the bandwidth thing isn't really that big of a hurdle. Those gamers with restrictive bandwidth caps can always just rent and rip. Especially if they have a Gamefly account. Obviously more costly than internet piracy but way more convenient. The huge ISOs are definitely a deterrent to some extent though.

Time for developers to start filling up the blu-ray disks. 50Gb games will slow down piracy a bit. Uncompressed sound, pre-rendered cutscenes in 30mbps 1080p. More variation in open world games. (Oblivion seemed big but there were only 4 dungeon types)

I also have 60gb download limit, 2 dollars per gb if you go over. Cheaper to buy the game.

Isn't it possible to keep online games safe at least, steam can? Simple online verification to check if the game hasn't been tampered with would do?

SvennoJ said:

Time for developers to start filling up the blu-ray disks. 50Gb games will slow down piracy a bit. Uncompressed sound, pre-rendered cutscenes in 30mbps 1080p. More variation in open world games. (Oblivion seemed big but there were only 4 dungeon types)

I also have 60gb download limit, 2 dollars per gb if you go over. Cheaper to buy the game.

Isn't it possible to keep online games safe at least, steam can? Simple online verification to check if the game hasn't been tampered with would do?

lol you say that like it's an easy thing.

And the bigger file might deter some, but I don't think your situation is the norm and people usually just start a download like that when they go to bed and then wake up in the morning to a finished download.  Even if it isn't, there's always anothing 8 or so hours of work/school to let it finish.