By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo have new IPs for 2008?

Vizion said:

Because most Nintendo games on the Wii seems to be sequels.

There is Mario Party 8, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Battalion Wars 2, Fire Emblem: RD, Zelda:TP, Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charge, Metroid Prime 3 etc. Let's not forget Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros for next year.

Can we expect at least more than a few entirely brand new games from Nintendo for 2008?

This old crap. ALL MAJOR DEVELOPERS get a large percantage of their income from sequels. Singling Nintendo out is pure bullshit.

You could do the same for Sony, or their second parties. Aside from Resistance and Uncharted, there seems to be a lot of sequels, or S-E other than Lost Oddessy.

As for Nintendo, the Wii specific games do count as a new IP, and are among the top sellers on the system. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Yeah. Miyamoto even said in an interview around E3 that we could maybe even see some new Nintendo characters as early as next year.

He didn't say whether he'd be the one creating them though, but if they're really are some, then it would surprise me greatly if he wasn't involved.

Calm down. I am not bashing Nintendo. I would just prefer Nintendo to make some new franchises and I am sure many others think the same.

Yes, many other big name developers make a lot of sequels but it seems to be more so with Nintendo. Sony in less than year has developed/published a lot more new franchises such as Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Uncharted, Resistance, and Lair.

I am sure Mario Party and Super Paper Mario (a sequel I forgot to mention in the OP) are all good games, but c'mon, it's time for something entirely new.

APolitical said:
super_etecoon said:
Does anyone know how long before Pikmin and Animal Crossing were released that they were announced? And at what event?

I have no idea what the lapse of time is, but I would be pretty disappointed if Nintendo wasn't already pretty far along with development of Pikmin 3. The game BEGS for wii controls. I cannot wait.

Pikmin 3 might be released.

For new IPs:

Wii Music

Wii Draw (think that was one of the names Nintendo had planned)

Some other Wii _____ game

so 3 new IPs.

BTW - RON PAUL FTW!!!!!! 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Who cares?! The IP has to match the gameplay. I expect to see lots of new gameplay ideas from Nintendo in 2008, with either new or existing IPs matched accordingly.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

of course it will.

ssj12 said:
APolitical said:
super_etecoon said:
Does anyone know how long before Pikmin and Animal Crossing were released that they were announced? And at what event?

I have no idea what the lapse of time is, but I would be pretty disappointed if Nintendo wasn't already pretty far along with development of Pikmin 3. The game BEGS for wii controls. I cannot wait.

Pikmin 3 might be released.

Yea I think Pikmin 3 is inevitable, I would just like to see it in mid 08 as opposed to december 09 or something like that. I know they have to space their IPs out for the sake of not swamping the market, but come onnn guys, Pikmin is totally waiting for this control scheme

BTW - Fighting for 4th Place (or 5th, depending on the state,) lol

Vizion, are you not reading my post? I don't mean that in an offensive way at all -- you're still speaking as if they aren't making new IPs, but I just rattled off a rather large collection of them. 

And I repeat, for emphasis: in the last three years, the top three best selling new IPs have all come from Nintendo. 

If you'd like, I can make a more comprehensive list of recent and upcoming new IPs: my list was off-the-cuff, and figured it would suffice for the purposes of a thread topic. If that doesn't suffice somehow, let me know. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I don't see why nintendo needs to. They are to sucessful with wiiSports, WiiPlay, Mario Party 8.

I think those are the biggest sellers on the Wii.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LOL, outlawauron, 2 of those are completely new :)

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com