By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Last Story is completed, 4 years of development.

A quick Christmas Eve update on The Last Story from director Hironobu Sakaguchi:

According to this Tweet, The Last Story is complete. (Although Sakaguchi notes that it wasn't actually finished on Christmas Eve -- he just ended up giving notice about it then.)

Visit Sakaguchi's Twitter for many words of congratulations from his followers, including some celebrities:

Former Square Enix collaborator Yasumi Matsuno said congratulations on the master up and that he can't wait until the January 27 release date.

Some followers posted retail display images.

From nm4j, an image of Shinjuku Bic Camera:

From legateru, a retail display that for some reason is showing Ni no Kuni footage:

Yasakura_m, a retailer, posted this pic, saying that because he's in the country he can't order too many units, but he's supporting the game.

Production on The Last Story took three-and-a-half years, says Sakaguchi in one of his replies. If you add in the initial idea phase, the figure is closer to four years.

The demo we'll be seeing during the December 27 presentation will be via final code.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/25/last_story_complete/

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Really interested in seeing how this does at retail...

Wow , I had no idea the game'd been in development that long.

Now for a Western release...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

what is it with JRPG's this gen and having stupidly long development times?

Makes you wonder about the way they work.

Wonder what the dev costs am.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:

Wasn't just JRPGs. Lots of sequels from last gen games took that long. Although this game likely didn't cost as much.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Well I guess the nice thing about this game is it may have been in development for the past 4 years, but they didn't announce the game 4 years ago and then make everyone wait for it.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Serious_frusting said:

Wasn't just JRPGs. Lots of sequels from last gen games took that long. Although this game likely didn't cost as much.

3 1/2 years is reasonable for a JRPG imho. i wouldnt mind waiting 3 1/2, between the point when the title is announced to the release. i think when we get to 5 year time spans like, FF12 and FF13, that is ridicuilous.

These are the images from the article

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

A203D said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Serious_frusting said:

3 1/2 years is reasonable for a JRPG imho. i wouldnt mind waiting 3 1/2, between the point when the title is announced to the release. i think when we get to 5 year time spans like, FF12 and FF13, that is ridicuilous.

FFXII was released during March 2006 and XIII during December 2009 in Japan. That is not even four years. If you live in Europe wait between XII and XIII was actually only three years. (February 2007 compared to March 2010)

I think this game is gonna be BIG in Japan. 1 million isn't out of reach LTD.

Above: still the best game of the year.