By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Im really getting sick of the half-ars politics in the USA

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a politician. But i repeat myself"

Mark Twain

Around the Network
optoma1990 said:

My biggest moan is when a government try to push through legislation when most of the elected people are away on holiday. What is democratic about that when it is pushed through knowing when not everybody can vote it out because they aren't there? Democracy my ass!

It's not so much eveyrones is away on holiday as it is the new people aren't seated.

Essentially the Democrats have done more, in the few months AFTER they found out America was sick of them, then they did the rest of the time.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Lame Duck session nothing would probably get done, because everyones off campaigning at the end of their term. 

Kasz216 said:
optoma1990 said:

My biggest moan is when a government try to push through legislation when most of the elected people are away on holiday. What is democratic about that when it is pushed through knowing when not everybody can vote it out because they aren't there? Democracy my ass!

It's not so much eveyrones is away on holiday as it is the new people aren't seated.

Essentially the Democrats have done more, in the few months AFTER they found out America was sick of them, then they did the rest of the time.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Lame Duck session nothing would probably get done, because everyones off campaigning at the end of their term. 

well, thats pretty much what happens everytime no matter which side is in power. America is sick of the GOP, they get their asses moving, sadly when the GOP gets their acts moving and have create quick legislation they fail to read the fine print so we get crap like the Patriot Act and the DHS. And we also for some reason give tax cuts to multimillionares that do not buy consumer level TVs,  boats, cars, etc and state that the purchase of a yacht somehow gives a middle class citizen a job at McDonalds.

I'd almost say maybe the Democrats actually read part of the bills they pass?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

agreed on al points

ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
optoma1990 said:

well, thats pretty much what happens everytime no matter which side is in power. America is sick of the GOP, they get their asses moving, sadly when the GOP gets their acts moving and have create quick legislation they fail to read the fine print so we get crap like the Patriot Act and the DHS. And we also for some reason give tax cuts to multimillionares that do not buy consumer level TVs,  boats, cars, etc and state that the purchase of a yacht somehow gives a middle class citizen a job at McDonalds.

That's a remarkably partisan perspective ...

Many Democrats supported the patriot act, and some (including the current Vice President) repeatedly tried to pass similar legislation over the years. On top of this, the Democrats were so opposed to the Patriot Act that when they had the power to repeal it they didn't even try.

Beyond that, one of the core criticisms of the Democrats over the past 2 years was that they were not reading legislation before they voted on it; and Nancy Pelosi even went as far as to say that they had to pass the health care bill in order to find out what was in it.

This isn't to say that the Republicans are good, they certainly are not; but anyone who believes that one party is out to screw them and the other isn't is completely out to lunch.

Finally, on the tax cut issue ...

The vast majority of the (so called) rich people who are impacted by these tax cuts are small business owners and independent contractors. While these people will use their money to provide a decent lifestyle for themselves, they tend to re-invest their "excess" income; either in their business (buying equipment or hiring employees) or in other businesses (through stocks, bonds or venture capital). The kinds of people who buy yachts tend to be the super rich, who tend not to earn income because they make their money through capital gains. Even then, the production of high end luxury products like yachts and private jets still employs a lot of high skilled labour who earn high wages.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
optoma1990 said:

That's a remarkably partisan perspective ...

Many Democrats supported the patriot act, and some (including the current Vice President) repeatedly tried to pass similar legislation over the years. On top of this, the Democrats were so opposed to the Patriot Act that when they had the power to repeal it they didn't even try.

Beyond that, one of the core criticisms of the Democrats over the past 2 years was that they were not reading legislation before they voted on it; and Nancy Pelosi even went as far as to say that they had to pass the health care bill in order to find out what was in it.

This isn't to say that the Republicans are good, they certainly are not; but anyone who believes that one party is out to screw them and the other isn't is completely out to lunch.

Finally, on the tax cut issue ...

The vast majority of the (so called) rich people who are impacted by these tax cuts are small business owners and independent contractors. While these people will use their money to provide a decent lifestyle for themselves, they tend to re-invest their "excess" income; either in their business (buying equipment or hiring employees) or in other businesses (through stocks, bonds or venture capital). The kinds of people who buy yachts tend to be the super rich, who tend not to earn income because they make their money through capital gains. Even then, the production of high end luxury products like yachts and private jets still employs a lot of high skilled labour who earn high wages.

Trust me, I am far from one sided in terms of which party if you didnt read my opening post which targets both sides.

I do agree with your rebuttal. Both sides dont read legislation. Which is why I support the "Read the Bills" act which people are trying to push. It would slow down congress and get things done correctly.

On the tax cut part, your right, the upper crush of small business do reinvest and grow their businesses. The thing is, even those people really aren't the top 2% which should be taxed like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. But, the yacht part does provide skilled labor positions, but none skilled or limited skilled labor jobs. These positions are Walmart, Target, McDonalds, etc. These positions are needed for people to work while becoming skilled laborers. Many people from Rush to Beck to Bush argue that somehow skilled labor work leads to no labor or limited labor skill work. There are loopholes that satisfy that argument (construction), but a yacht seller to builder normally doesn't have effect on walmart or mcdonalds.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I gotta say not being American I could care less.

However its a re-accuring theme American's absolutely hate their Government for some reason. They hate the republicans when their in power, hate the democrats when they are in. Hate almost every President that gets elected. They agree with something then two three years later disagree.

I feel sorry for all the politicians in the US, it seems American's just hate them.

You have to realize that sometimes the best interest of the country isn't in your best interest. Sometimes some stuff has to be done that you'll disagree with. This is a fact nobody with that kind of power can keep everyone happy at all times. They need to make tough decisions at times that will alienate them from their voters.

Israel US relations is key. The US is one of the major reasons Israel was formed and the major reason it exists today. The US turning on its creation without the support of its allies would be foolish it would be diplomatic suicide. Place sanctions on your most powerful ally in the middle east would be stupid. Right now if the US wants to do anything in the Middle East they can count on Israel to back them up and Israel has the means to do so. Israel has nukes and a huge army with great weapons capabilities. Pissing off and screwing over an ally would send a very bad message to the rest of the US's allies.

Internet regulation, well the republicans are in opposition its their job to oppose the Democrats. Also they have reasons for their views. This is how democracy works no single person dictates country policies. Be glad that the US is half as democratic as it is.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

badgenome said:
Killiana1a said:

Simplistic, talking points from a memo or power point sell more to the American public now than a meaningful, respectful debate between William F. Buckley Jr. and Gore Vida does and did in the past.

Dude, you sound hopelessly nostalgic for a period through which you didn't even live. Respectful? I really can't see anyone calling someone a Nazi in a public debate these days, and supposing they did, not even in the most fevered left-wing imagination would Sarah Palin respond by calling them a faggot and threatening to punch them in the face.

I do have my moments where I get wistful like some fringe right-wing conservative hearkening back to the good ole days of the 1950s.

I would say a discussion on camera that catches each men at their worst is more polite than a media, which will take 30 to 45 seconds of a long speech by Shirley Sherrod and sound bite it to make it sound as if she is racist.

Neither Gore Vidal in calling William F. Buckley Jr. a "crypto-nazi" nor Buckley's response of calling him a "queer" and threatening to punch him in the face so that "he will stay plastered" was polite. However, the way the media handled it by showing both sides in it's entirety is more polite than Fox News or MSNBC taking a couple of words or a sentence out of context and sound biting it.

@ The Israel part: (original post)

PLEASE tell me  that was really good sarcasmus, you cant be serious.

Israel never attacked other countries, ALL israeli wars have been started by various arabic states, check your facts PLEASE before posting such BULLSHIT

thank you and merry christmas

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

ssj12 said:

On the tax cut part, your right, the upper crush of small business do reinvest and grow their businesses. The thing is, even those people really aren't the top 2% which should be taxed like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. But, the yacht part does provide skilled labor positions, but none skilled or limited skilled labor jobs.

These positions are Walmart, Target, McDonalds, etc. These positions are needed for people to work while becoming skilled laborers. Many people from Rush to Beck to Bush argue that somehow skilled labor work leads to no labor or limited labor skill work. There are loopholes that satisfy that argument (construction), but a yacht seller to builder normally doesn't have effect on walmart or mcdonalds.

First of all it's a philosophy thing.   Why should you be punished for being successful?   What did Bill Gates do to warrant  being punished a lot more than other people?    If you worked your butt off and became extremely successful, would you want your cash (No matter how extreme an amount) essentially taxed away from you?

Second of all,  as someone who has a small family business (Around 2 mill gross sales per year)  in the intermediate family....Taxation absolutely kills us.  

Lastly,  while you need 'none' skilled or 'limited' skilled labor jobs....America has been pushing, regulating, taxing, etc these jobs (Manufacturing, etc)  out of this country for many, many years now.  In many ways, the increase in taxes and lack of care for business has pushed a lot of businesses just in our personal line of business and various larger local businesses just above the border into Canada or over seas. 

Additionally,  everything is impacted and you can't jump and say that a Yacht doesn't effect anything else.  There are plenty of 'unskilled' positions in things completely different than Wal-Mart.   Like a Manufacturing plant that Manufacturers the plastic pieces associated with the Yacht,  or Upholsters the seats,   or the Mechanics who work on the engines.   The people paint the individual pieces to the specific colors.     There are literally thousands of steps that occur and include 'Limited' skilled or 'Unskilled' laborers in the Yacht creation process.