By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you think RDR was really that good?

I am looking through the Gamespot game of the year awards right now and pretty much every category (best story, atmosphere, writing, etc.) is all going to Red Dead Redemption. I will be very surprised if it doesn't get game of the year from gamspot as well. Did you guys think it was really this good? I thought it was a decent game. I personally liked GT4 better(I know Im probably the only one who thinks so). It certainly did not excel in all of these categories do you think?

Around the Network

Yes !!! It deserves all the awards it's recieving.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Was it good?

Yes!

Would i play it again?

No!

This year was (only) decent for me so decent game wins.

RdR is definitely my personal GOTY.

I'd even say this might be my favourite game this gen (PC included) since the original Bioshock.

ocean-1984 said:

Was it good?

Yes!

Would i play it again?

No!

This year was (only) decent for me so decent game wins.

This sums it up nicely for me :)

Around the Network

Yes it is my game of the year always had been! And that says a lot considering that I loved mass effect 2.

Wasn't my GoTY. Yeah it is enjoyable once in a while to perch myself on top of a house and pick off the law enforcers and townsfolk, but overall the game has been pretty boring.

I had more fun with Dante's Inferno and GoW3 kicks it's ass all over the place.

RDR I believe is this year's GTA IV.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I beat RDR a few weeks ago. Quite honestly, I didn't care for it.

I wouldn't even consider it for GOTY.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I really liked RDR, but it wasn't my game of the year by a long shot, however I recognize it's quality and it's craft. I don't find it surprising it's winning as many awards as it is, it is a fantastically crafted game, just not my cup of tea. I enjoyed Bayonetta, Final Fantasy XIII, Super Mario Galaxy 2, No More Heroes 2, and Assassin's Creed brotherhood more this year, but my tastes aren't the mainstream gaming media's tastes. I'm happy for RDR, but I do wish the above mentioned games got a little more attention. They really were fantastic.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I only played it for 8 hours before sending it back to GameFly, and I didn't enjoy it one bit. The first few hours are just a ranch simulator, and the few gunfights were nothing special. The optional stuff didn't do for me either. I found hunting animals boring, poker was too slow for my liking, and finger filler or whatever it's called was awful. So was duel.

Bounty hunting was cool, but the sad part is that you have to rid your horse through the dull land to capture the guy. Seriously, RDR's world is just a dull, flatland. There's no interesting places to explore, and nothing interesting happens while you're riding your horse. Yeah, sometimes you'll meet civilians, but the tasks they ask you to do quickly get repeated. And I didn't find it worth doing those tasks since all you got was like 5 fame and a few dollars.