Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Apr 2010 to 18th Dec 2010:
Console PS3
Total

I know this is actual sold-thru figures, but it is still telling.

Someone else posted shipments and it seems the PS3 has to ship 9.1 million in the next 2 quarters to reach 15 million.

My only problem with this is that the OCT-DEC quarter should be down a decent chunk over last year.

It will be really close and it all depends on just how much the JAN-MAR sells this year.

I think you just wanted to show the 360 has outsold the PS3 since April till now which has nothing to do with thread. More telling is the fact, All Sony needs is 6 million for the DEC quater and 3 million for the Jan one. This can be done.

I was showing relevant sell thru data in relation to Sony's shipment data.  Didn't mean to put 360 in there so I edited it out just now.

Sony will be down by ~800k to 1 million for this OCT-DEC quarter, though, which means the JAN-MAR needs to ship ~3.6 to 3.8 million.

Really, I did note realize it, where did you get this number?

Oct 2010 to Now = 4,942.490

oct 2009 to DEc 19th 2009 =    5,327,208

So much for the PS3 doing badly, huh

PS3 was down 188k even with a decent NA boost this week.  I'm saying if it continues on out this way it will be down ~800k to 1 million from this quarter last year, which will be about right.

I was never trying to imply PS3 was selling badly.  It is still well up YOY overall.

Or are you confused with a different number?

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
Console PS3
Total

Someone else posted shipments and it seems the PS3 has to ship 9.1 million in the next 2 quarters to reach 15 million.

My only problem with this is that the OCT-DEC quarter should be down a decent chunk over last year.

It will be really close and it all depends on just how much the JAN-MAR sells this year.

I think you just wanted to show the 360 has outsold the PS3 since April till now which has nothing to do with thread. More telling is the fact, All Sony needs is 6 million for the DEC quater and 3 million for the Jan one. This can be done.

I was showing relevant sell thru data in relation to Sony's shipment data.  Didn't mean to put 360 in there so I edited it out just now.

Sony will be down by ~800k to 1 million for this OCT-DEC quarter, though, which means the JAN-MAR needs to ship ~3.6 to 3.8 million.

PS3 was down 188k even with a decent NA boost this week.  I'm saying if it continues on out this way it will be down ~800k to 1 million from this quarter last year, which will be about right.

I was never trying to imply PS3 was selling badly.  It is still well up YOY overall.

This quater is almost over, I need you explain to me how it will down 1 million, show me. The only place I see it down this week is Japan, it had huge deals in NA, nad doing well in Others. Again show me how it will be down 1 million.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
Console PS3
Total

This quater is almost over, I need you explain to me how it will down 1 million, show me. The only place I see it down this week is Japan, it had huge deals in NA, nad doing well in Others. Again show me how it will be down 1 million.

You showed it was already down ~400k as of Dec 18th figures.  For that week, it was down 188k YOY.

This next week, if it doesn't receive some good boosts it will be down another ~200k.

Then for Jan 2nd week it will likely be down again.

I may have overestimated it being down that Jan 2nd week, though, because that week's worldwide sales is much lower (from last year's data) than the Christmas week.

~700-800k down this quarter it looks like instead of ~800k to 1 million.

nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
psrock said:
nightsurge said:
Console PS3
Total

P

You showed it was already down ~400k as of Dec 18th figures.  For that week, it was down 188k YOY.

This next week, if it doesn't receive some good boosts it will be down another ~200k.

Then for Jan 2nd week it will likely be down again.

I may have overestimated it being down that Jan 2nd week, though, because that week's worldwide sales is much lower (from last year's data) than the Christmas week.

~700-800k down this quarter it looks like instead of ~800k to 1 million.

We go from 800 - 1million to 700 which is more realistic. Now, the PS3 shipped just 2.2 million in Jan 2010 quater, I can guarantee you, Sony will easily outdo it. They had a shortage which they will not have this year. I see 3.2 million for the Jan quater.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

psrock said:

We go from 800 - 1million to 700 which is more realistic. Now, the PS3 shipped just 2.2 million in Jan 2010 quater, I can guarantee you, Sony will easily outdo it. They had a shortage which they will not have this year. I see 3.2 million for the Jan quater.

I'd generally agree, but it really depends on what they shipped Q3.  If they overshipped, then orders for Q4 could be down, and there's a way we could a YOY decline.  We'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Around the Network
jarrod said:

psrock said:

I'd generally agree, but it really depends on what they shipped Q3.  If they overshipped, then orders for Q4 could be down, and there's a way we could a YOY decline.  We'll know for sure in a few weeks.

They already overshipped in Q2, so I doubt they are going to in Q3.

Next Gen 

psrock said:
jarrod said:

psrock said:

They already overshipped in Q2, so I doubt they are going to in Q3.

Oh, I'm not saying it's likely, just how I could see it happening.  Personally I expect Q3 to be down/flat and Q4 to be up, with Sony meeting their goals.

I will never trust Sony's shipment numbers since they released their numbers for the April-June 2010 quarter. Every sales tracker (NPD, Media Create, VGChartz, GFK, Chart-Track) showed that the PS3 had sold less units in that quarter compared to the last quarter (Jan-Mar). Then Sony's numbers came out and they had shipped more units than the previous quarter. How is that possible. They sold considerably less than the last quarter, but shipped more units...

It's clear that Sony tracks PS3s shipped differently than Microsoft tracks the 360, or they are just overshipping every quarter. It's getting pretty ridiculous. That will be the final nail in the coffin if they actually report they shipped more than the 360 in the Oct-Dec quarter, when the 360 is outselling the PS3 by almost a million in one month alone in just one region, according to NPD. The December NPD could possibly have the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 2 million if this trend keeps up, and there's no way anyone will be fooled into believing Sony's shipment numbers this quarter, with Kinect and the 360's incredible performance.

Pirateogta said:

I will never trust Sony's shipment numbers since they released their numbers for the April-June 2010 quarter. Every sales tracker (NPD, Media Create, VGChartz, GFK, Chart-Track) showed that the PS3 had sold less units in that quarter compared to the last quarter (Jan-Mar). Then Sony's numbers came out and they had shipped more units than the previous quarter. How is that possible. They sold considerably less than the last quarter, but shipped more units...

It's clear that Sony tracks PS3s shipped differently than Microsoft tracks the 360, or they are just overshipping every quarter. It's getting pretty ridiculous. That will be the final nail in the coffin if they actually report they shipped more than the 360 in the Oct-Dec quarter, when the 360 is outselling the PS3 by almost a million in one month alone in just one region, according to NPD. The December NPD could possibly have the 360 ahead of the PS3 by 2 million if this trend keeps up, and there's no way anyone will be fooled into believing Sony's shipment numbers this quarter, with Kinect and the 360's incredible performance.

>_> shipped is shipped to retailers....sony can't 'lie' about these things

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Pirateogta said:

what would happen if Sony shipped more than MS this quater?

Next Gen