By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Ops Hits $1 Billion in Sales

Activision's latest title has now surpassed $1 billion in sales worldwide since launch, according to internal company estimates. Through the first five days on sale, Black Ops generated $650 million in sales, exceeding last year's $550 million set by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. 

"In all of entertainment, only Call of Duty and 'Avatar' have ever achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone this quickly," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. 

"This is a tribute to the global appeal of the Call of Duty franchise, the exceptional talent at Treyarch and the hundreds of extraordinary people across our many Call of Duty studios including Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer that work tirelessly on the franchise," he added. 

"Our ability to provide the most compelling, immersive entertainment experience, and enhance it with regular, recurring content that delivers hundreds of hours of audience value, has allowed Call of Duty to continue to set sales and usage records." 

To date, more than 600 million hours of Black Ops have been logged playing the game since launch. According to Microsoft, the average player logs into the game more than once a day and plays for over one hour. Over half of that time is spent playing multiplayer. 

In the first 24-hours, Black Ops sold 5.6 million copies in North America and United Kingdom.

http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/114/1141281p1.html

Around the Network

I thought it was already waaayyy past $1 billion lol

Did he just compare Black Ops to Avatar? To be frank, I found both to be quite mediocre and overtired franchises. Quite depressing to see the markets limited to mammoths such as that.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:

Did he just compare Black Ops to Avatar? To be frank, I found both to be quite mediocre and overtired franchises. Quite depressing to see the markets limited to mammoths such as that.

Black Ops won't even come close to Avatar in terms of revenue.it will be lucky to do HALF the money Avatar brought in.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
NotStan said:

Black Ops won't even come close to Avatar in terms of revenue.it will be lucky to do HALF the money Avatar brought in.

No but it's concept was ridiculously overdone and tired, so might as well be, I think someone even used a primary school story template to show how the director came up with it. Really beyond the visuals there is nothing "unique" about it.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:
Mordred11 said:
NotStan said:

No but it's concept was ridiculously overdone and tired, so might as well be, I think someone even used a primary school story template to show how the director came up with it. Really beyond the visuals there is nothing "unique" about it.

Never said there was something unique about it,but it's concept being similar to other movies's doesn't make it a franchise.Avatar 2 is incoming though,so it will be a franchise at the time that releases.

insane sales for black ops

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=121697&page=1&str=1377046575# I beat you to it :(..oh well

NotStan said:
Mordred11 said:
NotStan said:

The same could be said of the Harry Potter movies (very simple tired old kiddie cliches for a story), but I'm guessing since those are politically correct suddeenly you'll take offense.

At $60 a game, by my accounting Blops has sold (shipped?) 16.66 million copies now?

Of course higher priced special edition sales will bring that number down...then again any black friday type sales  where the price was less than $60 might bring it back up...surprised Activision/MS didn't do another COD bundle console (that could have really spiked revenue if counted at $400 a pop).