By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the Wii catchup with the Xbox360 in h/w sales ??

Vienna said:

@Alacrist

did Nintendo pimp your Wii ? 

I wish they did lol! I havenn't got it yet I get it when I get off of work today which is in 6 long hours!

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:
Hus said:
ckmlb said:

Halo 3 and GTA IV coming on 360 next fall + holiday season what Nintendo game is coming out that's big?

Metroid is not gonna be in 07, the only chance is gonna be either super smash or super mario and that's about it, Wii owners are gonna have a long wait ahead for good games after Pokemon Battle comes out...

Nin will sell on FAD hype...

360 will lose seles to PS3... GTA4, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Rachat and Clank, Killzone, Little Big Planet.... Halo will be big in the US, but rest of the world its MEhh.

Ah no, not this again...

@ Hus (The biggest Sony fanboy in da world):

1st of: Ur a flammer, thinking PS3 is better than Wii or X360 no matter what the facts tell you.

2nd: Just prove that the Wii is a fad.

3th: I think you should be banned, because u fock up every threat with... 'blabla PS3 is better' 'blabla Wii is a fad' 'blabla PS3 will win no matter what'

I have only 1 thing to say about people like you: 'screw you and get a life'

so 360 will keep its lead over the wii....

1 - FF13 GT5 GTA4 GOW3 MGS4... so FACT is PS3 is better.

2 Wii is a fad, time will show it.

3 - i said wii will out sell the 360 you fool.

Halo 3 will sell over 6 million xboxs by itself, no other game in the history of gaming is being as hyped as this game. I am guessing that Halo 3 will sell 14 million copies. Also there are lots of great games coming out for the 360 this year also, like Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Forza Motorsport 2. I don't think that the wii will ever surpass the 360, but defenitly not in NA

Andrew said:
Halo 3 will sell over 6 million xboxs by itself, no other game in the history of gaming is being as hyped as this game. I am guessing that Halo 3 will sell 14 million copies. Also there are lots of great games coming out for the 360 this year also, like Mass Effect, Two Worlds, Forza Motorsport 2. I don't think that the wii will ever surpass the 360, but defenitly not in NA

Not a chance!

Yes, it will sell well especially in NA, but it most certainly won't sell another 6m 360's.

Halo 3 won't even be out til end of the year and IMHO could end up being delayed until next year knowing the way games work. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

September at the earliest.

But Wii will catch it.  360 effectively sells in 2 markets (Americas, Eur/Japan as one market)

This isn't PS1 vs. N64.  Microsoft has no presence in Japan despite the long time-lead, and Nintendo is much stronger in Japan and Europe than it has been the previous two generations, and has similar sales to the N64 in America right now (N64 sold 20 million in America)

From what I can tell, Microsoft on November 16, 2006 had a lead of 6-6.5 million over Wii and PS3.  On April 11, 2007 (less than 5 months later), the lead is 6.5 million over PS3.  But Wii has shaved off 2.9 to 3.4 million of that lead off.  PS3 has actually gained too, although it may not look like it.  Microsoft's lead over Sony was probably closer to 7 million in February and for most of March. IIf PS3 had launched in Europe, even with sales of 30k per week after the end of December, PS3 would be at 3.6 million..about a 100,000 gain per month at best/keeping up with 360 at worst.

If Wii shaves off another 3.0 million in five months, it catches up around September.  I think 360 is going to start selling more units, but with Nintendo's increased production, the timeframe stays about the same.  September-November will be the time of catching up, transition, and ascension.  If Wii can't pull ahead selling strongly in three markets, I don't Nintendo will pull ahead this generation.  Even with Halo 3 and GTA, the sales in Japan and pent up demand in the west should be enough to keep forcing Wii over 360.  I frankly think 360 could sell like 1.2 million in US/Eur in Nov-Dec..but Nintendo can sell 1.5 million-1.8 million worldwide in those months, even though sales will probably be lower than 360 in the west.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Mid September or late Sept/Early Oct, the Wii (on this site) will eclipse the 360.

However, once Oct. NPD comes out (provided MS reduces the price by then), the 360 will match/overtake the Wii in Oct. or November, keeping the lead until the last week of Dec.

The Wii will then grab the w/w lead in really late Dec/Early Jan and keep it until demand starts to drop (sometime in 2008).

IMO, John Lucas is *almost* as bad as Washimul, but without the poor spelling. There is NO way that the Wii can match the 360 (3m ahead) in 3 m/o

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

TheSource said:

From what I can tell, Microsoft on November 16, 2006 had a lead of 6-6.5 million over Wii and PS3. On April 11, 2007 (less than 5 months later), the lead is 6.5 million over PS3. But Wii has shaved off 2.9 to 3.4 million of that lead off. PS3 has actually gained too, although it may not look like it. Microsoft's lead over Sony was probably closer to 7 million in February and for most of March. IIf PS3 had launched in Europe, even with sales of 30k per week after the end of December, PS3 would be at 3.6 million..about a 100,000 gain per month at best/keeping up with 360 at worst.

That is a very good point and one that has been overlooked.

The 360 has lost serious ground with the introduction of the Wii and has slowed down to a stop with the introduction of the PS3.

Could the Wii spell an early demise of the 360?

It certainly looks like people cannot afford the PS3 at the moment and are going for the Wii rather than the 360, so maybe people will be investing in a Wii and them over the longer term will invest in a PS3; as it probably seems a more reasonable transition rather than people moving from the 360 to the PS3. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

mrstickball said:

Mid September or late Sept/Early Oct, the Wii (on this site) will eclipse the 360.

However, once Oct. NPD comes out (provided MS reduces the price by then), the 360 will match/overtake the Wii in Oct. or November, keeping the lead until the last week of Dec.

The Wii will then grab the w/w lead in really late Dec/Early Jan and keep it until demand starts to drop (sometime in 2008).

IMO, John Lucas is *almost* as bad as Washimul, but without the poor spelling. There is NO way that the Wii can match the 360 (3m ahead) in 3 m/o

Beware, Mr. Stickball. I WILL hold you to those words now. Hahaha.

Remember, someone on these boards has a signature of a VGChart from mid-February where XBox 360 was at 9.28 million & Wii just hit 5 million.

Here we are a little over a month and a bit later and Wii's hit the 6 million mark in March already barreling toward the 7 million mark this April (I expect the 7 million reached within the next two weeks). Meanwhile XBox 360 is STILL treading water in those 9 millions. They scaled BACK the estimate! It's hanging at 9.68 million to Wii's 6.58 million.

Do you SERIOUSLY think the Wii can't catch the 360 within the next 3 months?

I'll see you in July, Mr. Stickball.

John Lucas

(and who's this washimul cat everyone's going on about around here?)

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Are you also still claiming that the Wii will pass 360 in NA as well within July?  That was the really crazy prediction. :P

DKII said:
Are you also still claiming that the Wii will pass 360 in NA as well within July? That was the really crazy prediction. :P

Yeah that one was pretty out there.  The Wii is poised to take the lead WW this summer, but I don't see how it's going to catch up in NA.  NA is the one region where the 360 is doing very well!