By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Standard Cars to be Upgraded to Premium

Heat said:

That's amazing! I was sick of racing in some cars that looked like the lights and other details had been stuck on. I wonder if the review scores would have been much different if all cars were premium in the first place? I think so.

I doubt it. As nitpicky (and lack of professionalism behind them) the majority of reviews were, the standard/premium debacle didn't weigh that much in their decision.

The thing is, the standard cars are all over the place in quality. Some plain just suck, like the Nissan Micra mm-R cup car, which looks like something taken from the worst quality PS2 game (even worse than the GT4 model), and then there are others who could easily pass for a Premium car, like the Mazda Furai, the Audi R8 LMS Race Car and the Polyphony Formula GT (I've got an amazing wallpaper from a FGT car which everyone thinks it's a premium). 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Rainbird said:

I wonder if this means they'll be using the premium cars for GT6. Otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste to upgrade them now rather than work on GT6.

But good news still.

There's actually two versions of each premium model.  They have the higher poly models seen in GT5's photo mode, and slightly downgraded versions of those models used in-race.  Kaz has said that the photo mode premium models are PS4 quality (and they ain't lying!), and from what I gather they intend to use those models as in-race models for whichever GT hits PS4.

I think their current plan (pure speculation here!) is to upgrade GT5 with more premium models, while prepping GT6 as a PS4 title.  They'll transition all Premium models to GT6, while focusing on increasing and refining the franchise's feature set for that iteration.

I don't think we'll see much more cars in GT6 than GT5, aside from any new cars and concepts that surface between now and then.  It'll be all about polishing those cars and fine-tuning the other areas of the game.

Veyron

Will they charge for it?

10 cars updated - 5.99$ ?

ocean-1984 said:

Will they charge for it?

Hopefully they won't do it, or at least not at such a ludicrous price. If they can add them via updates, I don't see why it can't be free.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
mantlepiecek said:

This is great news. For people who were whining about standard cars.

Bad for the reviewers.

Some of the cars not all of them.

Kazunori Yamauchi, head of the Gran Turismo series, has announced that some standard cars in the fifth chapter will be updated in the future to go to the "Premium".

Nsanity said:
mantlepiecek said:

This is great news. For people who were whining about standard cars.

Bad for the reviewers.

Some of the cars not all of them.

Kazunori Yamauchi, head of the Gran Turismo series, has announced that some standard cars in the fifth chapter will be updated in the future to go to the "Premium".

To update 811 standard cars to premium would be insane and quite frankly asking for too much. Even if they update 220 more, that would be an amazing amount. 

Current PC Build

Very nice. Looking forward to that, Polyphony. :)

lestatdark said:
ocean-1984 said:

Will they charge for it?

Hopefully they won't do it, or at least not at such a ludicrous price. If they can add them via updates, I don't see why it can't be free.

IMO they released unfinished game, so all that should be free, but maybe they would like to make some more $$.

I hope they will fix psOne quality shadows too.

ocean-1984 said:
lestatdark said:
ocean-1984 said:

Will they charge for it?

IMO they released unfinished game, so all that should be free, but maybe they would like to make some more $$.

I hope they will fix psOne quality shadows too.

KY is already looking into the shadows: http://www.gtplanet.net/yamauchi-on-gt5s-mechanical-damage-updates-more/

The problem is, not all tracks have those jagged, blocky shadows. Tracks like London, Madrid and Tsukuba show some decent shadows, even from the grid start. Most of the shadow issues come in tracks with some kind of dynamic lightning in them. They seriously screwed up the coding for the dynamic shadows. Then again, there's just so much that can be done with 256 MB ram.

I also hope they address that issue, but I'd take the option of removing the HUD over better shadows any day

Current PC Build