By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sandbox Games are the most BORING and OVERRATED things in gaming

I wouldn't go as far as to call them boring, but I've never seen the appeal of them either.  The same goes for W-RPGs and F/TPS.

Around the Network

inFamous felt pretty enjoyable for a large portion of the game for me. Where as a game like FFXIII felt repetitive as hell after spending 6 hours pressing X all day which pretty much gets the job done. Then walking in a straight line to either a cutscene or another instance where I need to pretty much just keep pressing X.

Graphical hit? Seriously? That's the icing on the cake? Not every game is aiming to be the next Uncharted. Games like inFamous and GTAIV looked pretty darn good when they released from what I remembered. In sandbox games, most people would say that the biggest weakness is the numerous bugs they often have. Mainly because it's hard to properly test out such complex games that offer so many options and what ever little time devs get.

The joy in sandbox games lies in exploration, navigation, and having numerous things to do and a lot of different ways to do them.

"in linear games they throw many exilirating set pieces at you so you are constantly entertained . not the same case in open world games."

Well if you're getting bored of seeing the same world over again, then yea, I could understand you not enjoying them.

GTA IV was boring imo....thats why I haven't picked up RDR yet despite all the praise its getting.

But the PS2 GTA games were awesome....so was inFAMOUS. Jak 2 and 3 are my favourite sandbox games.

Can't wait for the awesomeness of inFAMOUS 2 !

Alphachris said:

I know how you feel. My worst gaming experiences this generation were western games. I feel for two "game of the year editions" of critically acclaimed titles "Borderlands" and "Oblivion". I have played both for 20-30 hours and I was not entertained more than 10 minutes. Since there is no real story progress, rather unconnected sidequests arks, I didn't feel connected to the game. Having a silent character was also a big problem for me. I do not like Moral systems and decision trees too. Online gaming is also more often annoying than interesting.

I had the most fun and thrill with total linear games. FF 13 was the best game I have played on the PS3 so far, although it recieved a lot of hate. I don't see why Sidequests or Nonlinearity could make a game more thrilling. It offered less freedom than other FF, but I can see that this was intentional, because you were the hated enemy in whole Cocoon. You should feel like you are being chased and have no time to take a breath. It was a brilliant game in my opinion.

Borderlands... i don't feel it is a rpg. It is just another Egoshooter with a boring story, no charakter development, to much violence, ugly characters and tons of senseless sidequests. I still wonder why I should even bother looking for that Pandora chamber, why the enemies have the key and what the whole game is about. The whole game is pure repetition with random loot and always the same enemies.... I still wonder why it got more than 70 % with such huge gaps in character development and story....

Oblivion.... I always thought I like RPGs until I tried out Oblivion..... Never played a RPG with a silent character before, and I should never try it again. Again, after 20-30 hours still no clue what this whole game is about. The main character has no motives, "exploring" random dungeons for random loot was not really interesting for me, Sidequests are not really thrilling... I gave up, I can not name a single thing I liked about it. It sure offers a lot of content, but it lacks the main story for me, that gets me connected with the game and gets me thinking about what is going on.

Maybe that is just a (sub)cultural difference in gaming taste. I came to the conclusion that Sandbox games and WRPGs and Egoshooter-Action-Rpgs-hybrids are just not my taste. So I should better stay away for the likes of GTA/RDR, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands and InFamous in the future, regardless of "game of the year awards".

In Fact I can get more than enough games per year from Square-Enix, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Konami, Capcom, Level-5 and several japanese Games. The only strong point for Western Games for me are offline Coop-Games. There are not many japanese Coop games available in Europe.

I do not mean that they are bad games in general... It is just that they do not offer that want I expect from gaming. Linear games often deliver a more intense gaming experience to me and I got bored really quickly with sandbox games.

For a better understanding, I have played these Sandbox-Games/WRPGS so far:

GTA 3, GTA 4, Assassin's Creed, Deathspank 1 2, Borderlands, InFamous, Sacred 2, Oblivion

Yeah, WRPGs are definately not for you, lol.

The idea behind WRPGs and the basic design philosphy behind the silent protagonist is that it enables you to place your own personality and ideas behind the main protagonist/character. Rather than being told the story passively like in Final Fantasy or Uncharted, the games are meant to give you the perception that it is personal to you and give you more room for your imagination to take over.

The motives are rarely present because you apply your own motives (especially true in Oblivion where you don't have to do the main quest at all). The guild quest lines in Oblivion for instance are just as long as the main quest, all have their own story, yet all are completely optional. Your character and his/her motives are entirely what you decide you want them to be. That's what these games are supposed to appeal to.

You seem to desire more depth in story and character development over the open exploration and personal experience in open world and WRPGs in which case most WRPGs probably aren't for you. Having said that, Dragon Age Origins isn't a complete write off as it does have better character development and is more linear in structure.

!

Around the Network

My feeling, regarding the attempt to do storytelling by means of games, is videogame designers generally aren't that good at it.  Because of this, I tend to view games as games, things to be played, which need entertaining gameplay with them.  Of course, when the game designers get it right, it is awesome, and memorable.  The Uncharted series, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Bioshock, and others, really do well in that area (for the most part).  For me though, I want the gameplay to be fun, which the mentioned games were.  But, for me, Borderlands is my top game, because the FPS action, loot run, and leveling up, were fun... lots of fun for me.  Keep in mind, one game I really like also is Diablo, so you can see the appeal of Borderlands.  As I said, gameplay is very important to me.  In my case, as much as I wanted to like Brutal Legend, what it had me trying to do, was NOT fun.  I like most of it, except having to do Guitar Hero with a 360 controller during the middle of a battle.  Seriously?

Pardon me if I missed anything above.  That is what came to mind for games.  For me, Sandbox works, if there is some sort of key play mechanic that is fun to do over and over (like hunt agility orbs in Crackdown) or a variety of minigames which work also and are varied enough.

If you played the first Mercenaries you would know that they can be everything you are looking for with interest.

But I like them because there is alot of freedom. It doesn't feel restricted and most of the open world games I've played are chock full of exciting story missions and side missions. I mean, they also me to make the decision about how I should go about my next objective.

Here's a list:

Dead Rising

Mercenaries (mercs 2 sucks balls tho)

Batman AA

Assassin's creed (especially 2)

Burnout paradise

test drive unlimited

fallouts

elder scrolls

crackdown

red dead

Red faction

fable

gun

stalker

prototype

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I don't like sandbox games either, but I think it's more to do with what the games are about than the type of game itself.

InFamous appealed to me cos it seemed cool to be a super hero (a new one) and run around a smallish city. GTA... just don't give a f***. I think if a sandbox game about something appealing to you comes along you'll change your mind.

Well that's his opinion, I though INFAMOUS was so much fun. I can think of so many boring Genres, that's not even funny.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I think they can be fun, but it depends on the approach and they are prone to a lot of pacing issues.  I've enjoyed a few, but I've always felt they were wanting in various ways in terms of controlling the pacing and delivering a sustained experience.

Of course, you could argue they suit a gameplay experience that is fragmented - i.e. I could play a few GTA missions, walk away for a while, come back and just pick some more and not lose to much flow, whereas titles like Uncharted are just begging you to play right through like a movie and get an unbroken experience.

The other issue I have with sandboxes is they often fall into the jack of all trades trap where the gunplay, driving (riding) or whatever is never as good as a more linear, focused title, although they do offer a lot of freedom.

Recently I thought AC2 did a good job of balancing a linear structure/narrative in a sandbox environment, but it's always hard to stay fully immersed.  RDR also felt better than most I thought - although I love western's so I might be swated by setting there.

I keep thinking of how, in Olivion, while the world is coming to and end you could decide to take a subquest to catch a potato thief instead of cracking on with the plot... that aspect of sandbox titles, plus the ability to ruin progression of the story, always seems to dog them.

Personally, I think it would be better in sanboxes to drop any master plot and just have a series of sub-quests of various sizes and nature that have a cummulative effect on the game.

For example, in AC:Brotherhood you can slowly unlock terrotry which opens up new quests.  That felt natural and it occured to me that you could easily remove the overaching plot - which was a bit weak in Brotherhood anyway - and just have you as an assassin rising through the ranks and slowing affecting the territory around you.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...