By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sandbox Games are the most BORING and OVERRATED things in gaming

inFamous boring?

Around the Network

Well... I had trouble with sand box games... I tried "FALLOUT 3" for 6 times before start playing it as it should and be imersed...

I think sandbox games needs to be started as aserious game, to be involved in the history and be hooked by the missions...

I don´t gave much time for gamming, but I bought Fallou: New Vegas and hope to play it nex year :)

I had patience and took me 6 months before started playing serious Fallut 3.. so... get in line , LOL

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

You want boring and repetetive? Try playing a MMO game...

Well some of the best games this gen (IMO) are:

Infamous, Borderlands, Fallout3/New Vegas, Assassin creed 2, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption and red faction guerrilla

I know how you feel. My worst gaming experiences this generation were western games. I feel for two "game of the year editions" of critically acclaimed titles "Borderlands" and "Oblivion". I have played both for 20-30 hours and I was not entertained more than 10 minutes. Since there is no real story progress, rather unconnected sidequests arks, I didn't feel connected to the game. Having a silent character was also a big problem for me. I do not like Moral systems and decision trees too. Online gaming is also more often annoying than interesting.

I had the most fun and thrill with total linear games. FF 13 was the best game I have played on the PS3 so far, although it recieved a lot of hate. I don't see why Sidequests or Nonlinearity could make a game more thrilling. It offered less freedom than other FF, but I can see that this was intentional, because you were the hated enemy in whole Cocoon. You should feel like you are being chased and have no time to take a breath. It was a brilliant game in my opinion.

Borderlands... i don't feel it is a rpg. It is just another Egoshooter with a boring story, no charakter development, to much violence, ugly characters and tons of senseless sidequests. I still wonder why I should even bother looking for that Pandora chamber, why the enemies have the key and what the whole game is about. The whole game is pure repetition with random loot and always the same enemies.... I still wonder why it got more than 70 % with such huge gaps in character development and story....

Oblivion.... I always thought I like RPGs until I tried out Oblivion..... Never played a RPG with a silent character before, and I should never try it again. Again, after 20-30 hours still no clue what this whole game is about. The main character has no motives, "exploring" random dungeons for random loot was not really interesting for me, Sidequests are not really thrilling... I gave up, I can not name a single thing I liked about it. It sure offers a lot of content, but it lacks the main story for me, that gets me connected with the game and gets me thinking about what is going on.

Maybe that is just a (sub)cultural difference in gaming taste. I came to the conclusion that Sandbox games and WRPGs and Egoshooter-Action-Rpgs-hybrids are just not my taste. So I should better stay away for the likes of GTA/RDR, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands and InFamous in the future, regardless of "game of the year awards".

In Fact I can get more than enough games per year from Square-Enix, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Konami, Capcom, Level-5 and several japanese Games. The only strong point for Western Games for me are offline Coop-Games. There are not many japanese Coop games available in Europe.

I do not mean that they are bad games in general... It is just that they do not offer that want I expect from gaming. Linear games often deliver a more intense gaming experience to me and I got bored really quickly with sandbox games.

For a better understanding, I have played these Sandbox-Games/WRPGS so far:

GTA 3, GTA 4, Assassin's Creed, Deathspank 1 2, Borderlands, InFamous, Sacred 2, Oblivion

Around the Network

I love sandbox games. IMO games are supposed to be about gamers being in control, and sandbox games are the ultimate form of that. You have (relatively) endless freedom to go where you want and do what you want. Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Minecraft, GTA4, Assassin's Creed 2, etc. Although I don't consider the Assassin's Creed games to be as much of a sandbox games since, depsite having relative freedom within the game world, you are still pretty strictly bound to the main missions and main linear story of the game.

If a game is too linear I feel like the developer is holding my hand and guiding me through their carefully crafted circus, while sandbox games feel far more immersive because you feel like you're just thrown into this vast world and you have to fend for yourself.

Well I love them :)..I probably have this gen more than 30-40 Open world games..

I started to love them when I was playing JRPG's...You know when you get at the end of the game and then are free to discover the world :)...Best part in any JRPG for me....Later we then get games who were open from the beginning <3.

I think your enjoyment with sandbox games is pretty much dependent on your imagination and creativity. I have barrels of fun on Just Cause 2, simply blowing stuff up and causing as much chaos as possible without even bothering with the story. I'll look at the time and it'll be two hours I've been doing that, it just draws me in, I can understand most people get bored though.

It's odd though, as Just Cause 2 pulls it off so well, I simply got bored doing a similiar thing in Prototype and Red Faction: Guerilla. No idea why, those games felt like they were trying to set up their own set piece moments too much, whereas Just Cause 2 just gave you some pretty crazy toys to use in a huge playground and left it up to the player to decide what to do.

I've not played it before but I've heard Saints Row 2 would be good for someone like me lol.

Maybe that is just a (sub)cultural difference in gaming taste. I came to the conclusion that Sandbox games and WRPGs and Egoshooter-Action-Rpgs-hybrids are just not my taste. So I should better stay away for the likes of GTA/RDR, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Borderlands and InFamous in the future, regardless of "game of the year awards"

I've no idea if you've played it or not, but don't write off Bioshock based on what you've said. It might not be to your taste but it's got a great narrative and story, a brilliant atmosphere etc. I know alot of people who don't like the typical western stuff who loved Bioshock, so it's worth a try if you ever see it cheap while shopping or something.

^^^bioshock is not even a sanbox game