By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: So yeah Pokemon was totally a fad

According to them Pokemon is of the 20 biggest toy fads ever:

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/holidayguide/20-toy-fads-we-cant-believe-we-bought-into-2415843/#photoViewer=1

Yeah Sure....

Around the Network

The people who started this "Pet rock" business made quite some cash, from where I heard.

Pokemon WAS a fad for a while. Do you remember how big it actually was? It was everywhere. Its still huge but I guess Yahoo can say it was a fad because it was so big for a short amount of time.

pokemon used to be far far more popular then it is now. Video Games in general are just more popular now then they were when pokemon was first around though, and red/blue are still the best selling by a very wide margain.

Why does it say they cant believe they bought into it?

Pokemon is still pretty awesome. I was happy I got pokemon as a kid

Around the Network

The games are still popular, but the various media (tv, movies, cards, toys etc.) have declined in popularity drastically. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Screw yahoo, Legos are not a fad! Most of the rest of the list is gimmicky at best, but legos are a timeless classic. When I have kids they'll surely be playing with legos.

Intendo21 said:

Pokemon WAS a fad for a while. Do you remember how big it actually was? It was everywhere. Its still huge but I guess Yahoo can say it was a fad because it was so big for a short amount of time.

Yeah basically this.

But it still lasted longer than any other "fad". They are comparing Pokémon to Silly Bandz after all.

Fad? Honestly, declining isn't quite the same as fading away. Besides, it has leveled out in terms of popularity recently; even the anime and TCG. Now, it's all uphill, :D.

Oh, and *grudge* this makes me glad Yahoo got destroyed by Google. Go out of business already, >.>.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

It was definitely a fad back in '99, but the products have built themselves into long-lasting phenomena

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.