By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games have truly awed you?

I'm talking about games that have really taken your breath away, for one reason or another.

For me, I think the winners would be Uncharted 2 and Just Cause 2. Both of them because of their environments.

In Uncharted 2, places like the train and the ice cave really blew me away. With the train, I'm astounded by all the technology behind it, because even though I'm no expert, I can still tell that a lot of work has gone into making this work, and I have never seen a train section in a game like it before. And the ice cave is truly beautiful and it is atmospheric as hell.

In Just Cause 2, the view distance is staggering, which makes for some fantastic moments when you explore all the game has to offer. And the weather can be absolutely amazing. Viewing a sunrise from up high in that game is incredibly beautiful, and the same for when you're in a thunder storm. Those times make me wish I was there in person, just to experience it.

What about you?

Around the Network

I just got Just Cause 2 acouple days ago and It is much better than I expected and I have to agree with what you said.

So I agree with Just Cause 2 and also I would say Valkyria Chronicles awed me. I'm getting Uncharted 2 soon so I will see how that is, loved the first one.

Saruk said:

I just got Just Cause 2 acouple days ago and It is much better than I expected and I have to agree with what you said.

Yeah, I've played for over 12 hours, and I've barely touched the story missions. I'm just exploring the landscape, fooling around and trying to 100% the areas I get to. I'm loving it!

SotC almost had me in a constant sense of awe.  Riding through a beautiful world on a horse and then seeing what new monstocity I had to deal with.  The flying collosi in particular were breath taking.

For my second I'd have to agree with you about Uncharted 2 but for different reasons.  I was awed by the scene where you are in a falling building because not only did it look like that was happening but it felt like that through the gameplay which was very impressive to me.

Oblivion - stepping out of the sewers into that beautiful landscape for the very first time was magical.

Demon's Souls -  I had heard all the talk of how good this game was, watched many videos but being inside that world and feeling its atmosphere, and feeling the perfect controls moving the character for the first time was a wow moment.

These two are my strongest moments from the current gen.

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
Saruk said:

Yeah, I've played for over 12 hours, and I've barely touched the story missions. I'm just exploring the landscape, fooling around and trying to 100% the areas I get to. I'm loving it!

That is exactly what I'm doing, and I am also 12 hours in and only did 2 story missions so far. I was trying to 100% the areas as I entered them so they wouldn't stack up, but before I knew it I had 21/45 areas completed/discovered.

It is really fun just messing around in this world also, you can easily get lost for hours in this game. This game need more recognition imo.

Saruk said:
Rainbird said:
Saruk said:

That is exactly what I'm doing, and I am also 12 hours in and only did 2 story missions so far. I was trying to 100% the areas as I entered them so they wouldn't stack up, but before I knew it I had 21/45 areas completed/discovered.

It is really fun just messing around in this world also, you can easily get lost for hours in this game. This game need more recognition imo.

*highfive*

I'm certainly having way more fun than I thought I would. :D

Oblivion just like the mutt said. Walking out from the sewers was actually the first "holy shit HD is amazing!!" moment I had. I bought a 360 at oblivion's launch and was not dissipointed!

This generation its been:

- Final Fantasy XIII -- Stepping out of the claustrophobic corridors of cocoon on to the huge plains of Pulse with the archlytte steppe music in the background and the huge adamantoises in the background was a awe inspiring moment. 22 Hours in the game finally felt like a Final Fantasy, ultimately it was too little too late, but the moment itself was breathtaking.

- Uncharted 2 -- On top of the Napalese city where the Helicopter attacks you, the whole sequence was breathtaking. the ending while you see the city crumble and you run away from it.

From Generations Past:

- Grand Theft Auto III -- I remember being awed at the detail and scale of the city, it felt like so much work had gone into it.

- Final Fantasy VII -- Leaving Midgar and getting to the world map with the world map theme in the background.

- Xenogears -- The moment when I realized it was the greatest story I had ever experienced and the greatest game I had ever played.

They are just some games that I remember that really awed me at one moment while playing them. 

Elite, Ultima Underworld 2, Doom, Tie Fighter, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, STALKER, System Shock, Ico, SOTC, Silent Hill 2, Oblivion, Bioshock, Half Life Franchise, Portal, Uncharted 2...  Probably some more.  All, at the time, had moments that were pretty awesome.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...