By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo will have an advantage over 720/PS4!

Cobretti2 said:
NiKKoM said:
Cobretti2 said:
badgenome said:

I don't see why MS and Sony would be forced to release new generation consoles, as launching late in the gen doesn't always mean failure. Nintendo launched the Wii in November 2006, and it has handily crushed the Xbox (launched November 2001) and its own GameCube (September 2001). It's even tracking above the mighty PS2 (March 2000).

you either do not understand wtf you are talking about or are you considering the WIi to be part of the GCN, XBOX and PS2 generation?

i don't think you understand badgenome.. ;)

how am I not understanding this? What do comparisons to  last gen consoles got to do with Wii at all? If anything it clearly shows PS2 launching so early is what helped it win in the first place. The war was well over before the other two launched.

He's saying that you don't understand Badgenome, not the situation at hand. It was just a joke - he was saying that Wii is last-gen xP

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
Antabus said:

Just like wii will steal all the 3rd party support, like people were saying in 2007 or something. :)

one of the reason 3rd parties did not bet on the Wii was because they thought PS3 would be the best selling console. 

the other is because of the Wii controller. developers were simply not ready for it and or did not believe it would succeed.

third the Wii was too weak for them and they wanted to advance further graphics and AI.

this time there is more reason too believe that they will get better support as they are familiar with the technology plus they will be more willing to familiarize themselves with whatever new technology Nintendo will offer. The 3DS seems to be doing fine so far as far as 3rd parties go 

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Business-wise, a direct download only console makes perfect sense. You cut out a lot the manufacturing, storage, and distribution costs. This being said, I agree it is too soon because there are many folks like myself who feel ownership when we purchase a hard copy. Direct download be it a NetFlix subscription or direct download video gaming leaves me with the feeling that I am renting access to the product, not owning it.

You don't only have a feeling that you are only renting the product, you actually are just renting the product. You can't sell the game and companies have every right to remove games from servers when ever they want and with some DRM-protected games they could even disable gaming completely at any time (especially if DRM requires server connection even for single-player experience). And IMO you don't own anything you can't sell. But if game prices for direct download games are lower than physical games, this won't matter to most people (proven by success of digital music). And most people buy games just to play them now, they don't think about resale value or that they might not be able to play same game 10 years in the future.

U might be right. The thing that worries me about the next gen is the prices of the games.

It`s not a question of being more or less powerfull, the first or last to get on the market, imo.
It`s always about the price of the console, it`s games and how it`s perceived by the public in general.

Wii 2, if Nintendo doesn`t stray away from what made Wii a success, will already be a success - as PS2 was as a follow up to PS1.
The mass market already trusts the Nintendo brand for their gaming needs. More than raw power, being first on the market, Sony and MS will have to win the market`s heart and that`s probably like someone going for the Apple market. A better product doesn`t even = victory!

Around the Network
badgenome said:

I don't see why MS and Sony would be forced to release new generation consoles, as launching late in the gen doesn't always mean failure. Nintendo launched the Wii in November 2006, and it has handily crushed the Xbox (launched November 2001) and its own GameCube (September 2001). It's even tracking above the mighty PS2 (March 2000).

It is a problem to quote you each time you make me smile but you just cracked me up hahaha

Let me get into my time machine and get back to you. lol

I love how we all just KNOW what all 3 companies have planned next-gen. It's like everybody and the aunts and uncles has an insider...

720 that is the most illogical name I have ever heard. How could you possibly market a system with such a ridiculous name? 720 of what exactly? 

PS4 is a logical successor to the PS3. PS4 sounds like the winner of the next console generation. 

Nintendo will have a level playing field next generation, the score is reset back to zero. The casual motion control advantage has been nullified. 

The winner of the previous generation goes in as favourite just like the winner of most sport club competitions. But the top dog is the hunted and the competitors will be fighting harder to knock off the top dog. 

PS3beats360 said:

720 that is the most illogical name I have ever heard. How could you possibly market a system with such a ridiculous name? 720 of what exactly? 

PS4 is a logical successor to the PS3. PS4 sound like the winner of the next console generation. 

Nintendo will have a level playing field next generation, the score is reset back to zero. The casual motion control advantage has been nullified. 

The winner of the previous generation goes in as favourite just like the winner of most sport club competitions. But the top dog is the hunted and the competitors will be fighting harder to knock off the top dog. 

Console wars don't start on a level playing field and the score isn't set back to zero.  Certain companies (for next gen Sony and Microsoft) have more of an uphill battle than using this example Nintendo.  Nintendo's brand name is much more powerful than it was in 2006.

This is clearly illustrated by the next gen handheld 'war', as far as we know the 3DS could completely do a Virtual Boy and flop, but it has must less of a struggle than the PSP2 or what the DS had in 2004-2005.  The 3DS has the 'DS' brandname and excellent third party support.  The 3DS has these innate advantages and it is down to how it uses these to gain/keep market share.