By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I have yet to satisfy my JRPG crave, help!

I like Eternal Sonata's battle system and SO4 is pretty good if you switch to JP VO instead of that English pile of shit they recorded.

Around the Network

I know people don't like to consider them JRPG (Only because they somehow think JRPG = Turn-based. Dumb? Yeah, I know) but I would 100% definitely consider you pick up Demon's Souls and Nier.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

For God's sake DEMON'S SOULS!!! If you like old-school, hard games, you'll love it. DEMON'S SOULS! DEMON'S SOULS! DEMON'S SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would Folklore count?  Great game; highly underrated.

here's a list

1. star oceans 4 - lamer than ffxiii, cant get into it even after 20hrs. its just....lame...

2. folkelore - awsomeness!

3. resonance of fate - sjrp and was a bit entertaining. too bad the story sucked balls

4. eternal sonata - well, begars cant be choosers...

5. velkaryia profile - awsomeness

6. ffvii - yea its a psx game, but hey its on psn

7. cross edge - ungh....though the prineys are funny as hell..IF you find the hidden scenes that is

8. trinity universe - can't tell, havent started on it yet

9. altelier rorona - can't tell also, havent started on it yet

aaaaannnddd...did i miss any?

i heard demons soul was great, and if you fell like kicking yourself in the head wy not try ffxiv

Around the Network

Atelier Rorona

Tales of Vesperia is out but it's only for Xbox 360 for english, You could import the PS3 version of Vesperia aswell as the PS3 Version of Tales of graces though they'd be in Japanese XD. Star Ocean I haven't played but it looks decent. Demon's souls is technically a JRPG even though it is so westernized it's funny. It's a good game though despite there being a significant lack of story.

If you want a straight up traditional "JRPG" then White Knight Chronicles is up your alley (Story is simple Mario stuff, but the cutscenes are well done, voice acting is great and the music is phenomenal.  Graphics arn't that great but the art is).  Though I can't help you past that as I've only played FInal Fantasy XIII and White Knight Chronicles on the console front of turn based RPGs.  Though if you want flashy graphics Final Fantasy XIII is gonna be the only game to deliver that next to Final Fantasy Vs XIII so you're probably gonna have to wait till next Gen :S.

Dragon Quest 5 is my favorite JRPG this gen, but its a remake. But it never was released in the US before
TWEWY is my next favorite JRPG and its close... but its not traditional
FFXIII is a somewhat distant 3rd.

And Resonance of Fate is almost tied for a distant 3rd for the first 15 hours because the battle system is original and characters are funny and then battles don't evolve, story goes nuts in a bad way and is a distant forth

Lost Odyssey is great if you want traditional. And is easily the best traditional JRPG on console this gen IMO
However I prefer non-traditional JRPG's or ones with a bit more twist, and the game didn't feel fresh to me, and I got a bit bored :-/, felt like an above average JRPG to me. But I can see why so many people love it here.

I've also Played DQ9,Eternal Sonata,Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4. And I hate the tales series in genreral pretty much so I never played vesperia.

Didn't play WKC though... I want level 5 to make dark cloud instead :P

Mate I'm in the same boat as you...

Unfortunately I don't think any JRPG really satisfied my craving this generation and it is my fav. type of genre, easily.

I strongly recommend Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for the NDS. That's the only one I could think of, I know, sad right?