By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 gas and break pressure sensitivity?

I was a bit shocked when I noticed that you control gas and break with the small face buttons (Square/Circle/Triangle/Ex)  instead of the R2/L2 triggers. It felt very primitive. In real life I gas and break gradually, I don't just press "on" and "off". It was a long time ago I played Forza but from what I remember it had gradual gassing and breaking on the shoulder buttons - and the harder you push the buttons the harder you gas or break.

Is this only due to default settings of GT5 and I should just change them to different buttons and have them work the way I want with pressure sensitivity? Is it even a Gran Turismo tradition to have it on a "on" and "off" control setting by default? How do you prefer to break and gas?

Also do you guys switch gear automatically or manually?

Around the Network

You can change them to R2/L2. It feels more natural that way, of course.

gas and break are also mapped to the right analog stick, forward = gas, back = break

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Button configuration my good sir.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Bristow9091 said:

Just so you know, the face buttons are pressure sensitive too, but since I prefer Automatic cars anyway, I've set L2 and R2 to my gas and brake, as well as X and Square, and when I DO use gears, I use the right analogue stick for my gear shifts, just knock it up and down to change gears.

Really?

Around the Network

Playstation controller's face buttons are pressure sensitive.

but i use this

its just too much fun.

hatmoza said:

Button configuration my good sir.

Aye aye, but I wanna do it the right way, like everyone else does. Like the majority does. 

If it's easier to play the game with default settings I'll want to use them instead of realistic ones, in order to stay competitive online (and be able to grab trophies more easily ).

PullusPardus said:

Playstation controller's face buttons are pressure sensitive.

but i use this

its just too much fun.

I will definately get one of those!! But I think they're almost $400.

I've used the right analog stick for gas and break (which are set by default, just like the X and Square buttons) since the very first game.

I will change to the G27 configuration soon though. :P

Slimebeast said:

I was a bit shocked when I noticed that you control gas and break with the small face buttons (Square/Circle/Triangle/Ex)  instead of the R2/L2 triggers. It felt very primitive. In real life I gas and break gradually, I don't just press "on" and "off". It was a long time ago I played Forza but from what I remember it had gradual gassing and breaking on the shoulder buttons - and the harder you push the buttons the harder you gas or break.

Is this only due to default settings of GT5 and I should just change them to different buttons and have them work the way I want with pressure sensitivity? Is it even a Gran Turismo tradition to have it on a "on" and "off" control setting by default? How do you prefer to break and gas?

Also do you guys switch gear automatically or manually?

Its also defaulted to the right analog stick