By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How did the star wars prequels go so wrong? Does Lucas Realise it?

He let 6 yrs olds write the actual scripts...

Around the Network

First post nailed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI explains everything.

Basically, George Lucas doesn't know what he's doing.  He's just not... a good filmmaker.  Most of the good parts of the original trilogy weren't his ideas.  For example, when Princess Leia says "I love you!" to Han Solo while he's getting frozen in carbonite, and Solo says "I know."  That was Harrison Ford's idea.  Darth Vader's super-iconic heavy breathing?  That was James Earl Jones's idea.  Most of the other good parts were lucky accidents due to the lack of a budget.  AND A GREAT TEAM THAT HE LISTENED TO.

Nowadays, George Lucas has money to do whatever he wants.  He never has to brainstorm and find creative solutions to financial problems.  He never has to rely on his team for good ideas.  He can just film in front of a greenscreen and have 100% control over the stupid aliens that they CGI in there.

Lucas also ruins ALL his classics, not just Star Wars.  Look at Indy 4.  Look at E.T.!  In the DVD he went back and changed the guns to walkie talkies!  Why?  That actually RUINS the suspense!  "Oh no these guards with walkie talkies are chasing me down!"  He wanted to make it less scary, ya know, for kids.  He completely destroyed his greatest movie, THX-1138.  That film was almost all white, on purpose.  It was minimal beautiful arty sci-fi madness (the lack of a budget forced him to be super-creative and badass).  For the DVD he added a bunch of digital robots, huge crowds of people (ruining the claustrophobic isolation of the original's atmosphere), aliens, tons of terminals and random sci-fi tech gear for no reason, and even weird monsters in the parking lot.  None of that was in the original!

One of the film professors at USC (I forget her name at the moment) taught George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Francis Ford Coppola.  She watched all three of them grow and mature as cinematic artists.  In her words: all three are amazing editors and filmmakers.  All three are just phenomenal at putting together a scene, masters of pacing, editing, atmosphere, and putting it all together.  But only Coppola knows how to tell a story.  BOOM!

superchunk said:

I'm not even reading a single word of this thread. Just posting blind.

But those of you who hate on the prequels are a bunch of turds who can't seem to realize they are NO different than what was offered in the originals.

Same relatively poor acting and script. Same random silliness and corny behavior.

In fact, the prequels added large scale REAL wars that was only really a small portion of SW:ESB and nonexistent in the other two. They also added REAL lightsaber battles versus simple fencing.

You are all a bunch of hypocrites and simply looking through the rosy eyes of a child based on when you first saw the other movies.

The prequels are great and make the complete story even more amazing.

Were there issues with overall plot and ways I would have changed stuff or not changed stuff, sure, we all have our opinions, but the fact remains that they are great movies and will also endure for generations just as the originals have.

I am looking forward to seeing them again in the theater over the next few years in 3D.

Fan of the prequels or enemy of the prequels, I can't recommend this film review enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

It's perfect edutainment.  It covers the plot holes in a really informative and really entertaining way.  I really think they should have showed us this in film school.  It's that good.

Warning: it's about an hour long.  But the first part is really really good, and it keeps getting better.  But the first 10 minutes or so, about protagonists, is a must-see!

The Xbox Man said:

The problem for me is its hard to accept Lucas lost all the talent he had and created what is known as the worst big budget movie (Phantom Menace), how can a man make one of the best movies but also one of the worst big budget movies? 

As much as the prequels were lambasted, no way is Ep I the worst big budget movie ever made. Have you watched any Bay or Emmerich films? TPM isn't even in the discussion with that trash.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

And never forget kids:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

goerge lucas only cares if all the 5 year olds in the world see the movies and they do.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

First post nailed it.

Basically, George Lucas doesn't know what he's doing.  He's just not... a good filmmaker.  Most of the good parts of the original trilogy weren't his ideas.  For example, when Princess Leia says "I love you!" to Han Solo while he's getting frozen in carbonite, and Solo says "I know."  That was Harrison Ford's idea.  Darth Vader's super-iconic heavy breathing?  That was James Earl Jones's idea.  Most of the other good parts were lucky accidents due to the lack of a budget.  AND A GREAT TEAM THAT HE LISTENED TO.

Nowadays, George Lucas has money to do whatever he wants.  He never has to brainstorm and find creative solutions to financial problems.  He never has to rely on his team for good ideas.  He can just film in front of a greenscreen and have 100% control over the stupid aliens that they CGI in there.

Lucas also ruins ALL his classics, not just Star Wars.  Look at Indy 4.  Look at E.T.!  In the DVD he went back and changed the guns to walkie talkies!  Why?  That actually RUINS the suspense!  "Oh no these guards with walkie talkies are chasing me down!"  He wanted to make it less scary, ya know, for kids.  He completely destroyed his greatest movie, THX-1138.  That film was almost all white, on purpose.  It was minimal beautiful arty sci-fi madness (the lack of a budget forced him to be super-creative and badass).  For the DVD he added a bunch of digital robots, huge crowds of people (ruining the claustrophobic isolation of the original's atmosphere), aliens, tons of terminals and random sci-fi tech gear for no reason, and even weird monsters in the parking lot.  None of that was in the original!

One of the film professors at USC (I forget her name at the moment) taught George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Francis Ford Coppola.  She watched all three of them grow and mature as cinematic artists.  In her words: all three are amazing editors and filmmakers.  All three are just phenomenal at putting together a scene, masters of pacing, editing, atmosphere, and putting it all together.  But only Coppola knows how to tell a story.  BOOM!

You sounds like an elitist that just don't like star wars.

If Lucas is a bad film maker than all the blockbusters can be thrown in the toilet.

The prequels are great movies, great entertainment and great for true fans of Star Wars.

superchunk said:

I'm not even reading a single word of this thread. Just posting blind.

But those of you who hate on the prequels are a bunch of turds who can't seem to realize they are NO different than what was offered in the originals.

Same relatively poor acting and script. Same random silliness and corny behavior.

In fact, the prequels added large scale REAL wars that was only really a small portion of SW:ESB and nonexistent in the other two. They also added REAL lightsaber battles versus simple fencing.

You are all a bunch of hypocrites and simply looking through the rosy eyes of a child based on when you first saw the other movies.

The prequels are great and make the complete story even more amazing.

Were there issues with overall plot and ways I would have changed stuff or not changed stuff, sure, we all have our opinions, but the fact remains that they are great movies and will also endure for generations just as the originals have.

I am looking forward to seeing them again in the theater over the next few years in 3D.

Fan of the prequels or enemy of the prequels, I can't recommend this film review enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

It's perfect edutainment.  It covers the plot holes in a really informative and really entertaining way.  I really think they should have showed us this in film school.  It's that good.

Warning: it's about an hour long.  But the first part is really really good, and it keeps getting better.  But the first 10 minutes or so, about protagonists, is a must-see!

I could not watch more than 1 minute. The guy sounded like a drunk hobo.

First post nailed it.

everybody makes good and bad movies,and i'm sure lots of actors/crew contribute to lots of films singling out lucas as a bad film maker is quite ludicrous,nothing wrong with entertaining people plot holes or not

you sound like you need to crawl out of your own arse and take some air

Above & Beyond

Lucas-Rio said:

First post nailed it.

You sounds like an elitist that just don't like star wars.

If Lucas is a bad film maker than all the blockbusters can be thrown in the toilet.

The prequels are great movies, great entertainment and great for true fans of Star Wars.

I think A New Hope was an amazing fantasy movie and a special effects revolution that changed cinema.  I think Empire Strikes back is even better, but that wasn't directed by Lucas.  (At first he asked David Lynch to direct it, and got denied, lulz.)

The original trilogy had a beginning, middle, and end, with logical reasons to connect all the scenes.  We have Luke Skywalker as a boring sissy for us all to relate to, and he slowly transforms into a badass superhero.  We watch him grow and become a jedi master, and we root for him.

The prequels don't have protagonists.  Who is the star of The Phantom Menace?  A kid who's only in half the movie?  There's nobody to relate to, nobody to care about, and no logic connecting the scenes.  If the whole movie's about an armada surrounding Naboo, why does it disappear halfway through the movie with no explanation?  They have to sneak down to the planet on an enemy ship, and then escape by busting through the barricade, but when they come back, there isn't a single enemy ship, and no explanation of where all the enemies are.  That's supposed to be the primary villain and the primary conflict.  It disappears.  That is the stupidest mistake you could make, and that script would have been laughed out of film school if he let anybody read it.

Just watch the parts at 1:14 and 4:36..  It actually has footage of the editors and producers trying hard not to cry, and trying not to tell Lucas "Oops we accidentally made the worst movie ever made."  Lucas is like, "Hm, yeah those scenes don't connect well at all, and the mood is ruined when we keep jumping around from escape to comedy to 5 minute political discussions to fighting, but it's too late to take any out.  Well, I guess we're done!"  That's a bad filmmaker right there.

Also, another part of the video has Lucas saying, "If I forget to say action or cut, just step in and say it for me."