By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Rise of Spam

No. This  is not a thread detailing how spam came to be.

No. This is not a thread in which you may spam all you want.

No. This thread is not to be taken lightly. It is of the utmost seriousness and concerns a topic that may in fact determine the entire community in this site's future.

Recently, we have not seen so much a rise as an explosion of spam. It's omnipresent. It spreads across the forums like a diseased thing. I had to remove friends from my friends list in order not to see disgusting pictures of obese people.  The purpose of this? There is none. It is solely to increase the post count. Or, rather, the wall post count. What was once the flame war is now the picture war. And it is just as annoying.

This is spam. This is annoying. People have already left because of it. Have you seen that dsister is permabanned now? Perhaps you've seen my 90 day ban, only lifted for now so that I may address these issues. No. Perhaps not. Maybe consciences will tried to be assuaged by empty words such as "You don't HAVE to post in the thread!" or "Just ignore it, it's not even bad!" That's not the point. It is real. Lurkers, seeing these threads, may assume that we are just some PG version of 4chan. A place where spam rules and all constructive conversation is scoffed at.

This is not to say there is no constructive conversation in here. People have simply abandoned it in favor spam. There are still many people who attempt a civilized convo. Either it goes unaswered, or gets overridden with spam. Take Smeags' Top 50 Discussion Thread. Riddled with spam. Posting for the sake of posting. Oblivious to what they are doing.

I come to this site in order to talk about video games, prospective sales of said games, and occasionally chatter in the Off-Topic about in the off-topic about music, movies, politics, and whatever a user may want to talk about. Not spam. This is not the place for spam: This is supposed to be a respectable forum where on may have a nice conversation. Talking about video games should not be restricted to wall-to-wall to simply prevent the spamming of a thread. I do not want the spam. The site should not have the spam. Go to  Youtube, 4chan, anywhere else where you may spam to your heart's content without censure. This is not the place. 

To put it simply: take your damn spam and go somewhere else.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

NEW SHOES ONLY $19.99!!!!

WWW.CHEAPAIRJORDANS.COM

Chairman-Mao said:

WWW.CHEAPAIRJORDANS.COM

xD good one. 

dany612 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

WWW.CHEAPAIRJORDANS.COM

xD good one. 

lol thanks. I couldn't take a thread like this seriously. No offence intended to the OP

but seriously, we have tons of discussions all the time. Pretty active threads 24/7. Gamrfeed is loaded with discussions and hits.

Just because every thread doesn't get as serious as others doesn't mean VGC is doomz.

Now I know how the " Internet, serious business" imgs came to be.

Some people mysteriously stop posting, some people leave, so what? the internet goes on.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:
dany612 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

WWW.CHEAPAIRJORDANS.COM

xD good one. 

lol thanks. I couldn't take a thread like this seriously. No offence intended to the OP

.....and I seriously didn't even read the whole article. All i remember reading was something about spam lol. No offense OP

Edit: I have now read the whole article. I don't think spam will ever end.

I'm not much of a fan that "Off Topic" is included in the Hot Topics section (hopefully it can be like it was in 2.0 where Off Topic is on its own little corner of VGChartz where I don't have to ever see it again. ).

Also... I'm the one who taught Darth how to post pics on walls. I know, you can hate me even more now Dtewi.

But don't let the spam get ya down Dtewi. I like to do little projects around here at VGChartz (like the Million Sellers Club, Wii Recommendation Guide, Top 50 Games, and the Most Wanted) to help keep discussion on where I'd like it to be. ^_^

wow, I can't believe some one wrote this topic. Honestly out of all the forums I have ever hanged out at. VGChartz has always been the worst forum when it comes to maturity, having and open mind and plain insulting that I have registered with. Key word Registered with. This isn't to say it's horrible. It's not. It's not like IGN, Kotoku and others. Actually VGChartz has been one of the better communities for video gaming discussion of all platforms. Keeping in mind I am referring to all gaming platforms. I've lurked the PS, Nintendo and others and they can behave much better, but often that's because they agree with each other. So the attitude to ignore logic isn't their.

Why do I come. Well gaming news mostly. VGC is pretty good hub that isn't dominated by shit heads. So while agree that the common behavior has dropped. It's over all still better than many others. I'm sure it's just part of the wave, it's up and down. This is a down and maybe a month or two it will be up again.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Well, for the last reply I have to ask, what other sites do you visit with people more mature than here? The topics usually have better material than that of other sites, which is why I come here. If you know of better places though, I might take a look.

TheLivingShadow said:

Well, for the last reply I have to ask, what other sites do you visit with people more mature than here? The topics usually have better material than that of other sites, which is why I come here. If you know of better places though, I might take a look.

I wonder this as well. Having been to Gamefaqs, Gametrailers, and many number of communities, I have seen the worse of the worse. Vgchartz really differs from those communities, in terms of quality and maturity.

Do we have the best maturity in threads...no, far from it, but compared to the rest of the gaming world...I would say we are pretty decent.