By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Apple can challenge Sony, MS in console war

mwjw696 said:

1. Apple uses the same tech that every other company does or worse, there "ideas" are not that great and the lack of software is what really kills it on top of that apple price. The only people that truly love apple are brain dead morons that have no idea what a real PC, phone, or MP3 player is capable of doing. They sell so well because they are SHINEY, Easy to use, and Expensive. Yes expensive is an attraction for elitests.

2. Your silly idea that apple would "and im not just talking about product design but technology first and foremost." Is the biggest laugh I got all day. Are you honestly saying that every apple product ever made is not based on product design and flashy jangles, but the most advanced technology??? You have to be bat shit blind!

3. That touch screen idea was used in ALOT of mainstream devices like the Palm Pilots, and MANY other PDA's way before apple used it, so that idea is out the window. But im guessing you have never used one since apples PDA SUCKED OUT LOUD (the newton)!

4. There products are copys not inovative they just show it off alot better then most companys. They are sleek thats for sure style over substance every time. Easy to use also because if they where complicated and usefull no one would buy it, they cater to morons with big wallets. The build quality is the same as every other product.. MADE IN CHINA!!! The customer service had better be good you are lining there pockets with GOLD.

5. To my final point. MS used ALOT of money to enter the console race, yes they inovated a great deal of things with the xbox 360, but they mainly copy and paisted ideas for the original xbox, minus LIVE. Live service saved there ass so much. Apple would do the same thing spent TONS of money, tons of time, and copy this generation or copy there own iphone ideas. It would not work there is to much money in the game already and apple would make a fool of its self and ruin the company. The only way i would ever advise Apple to enter the video game market (the real video game market not this casual Iphone crap) is to BUY Sony out. Go and talk with the PS team and learn as much as they can. Then next generation develope a supper console that is amazing and blows the rest of them out of the water. But that is the only way I can see Apple entering the game market this generation and not falling flat on there ass.

Disclaimer: I post this from a home built Quad Core AMD machine and I have never owned a Mac:

1. Technology isn't supposed to make things harder. The whole idea of technology is to make peoples lives more convenient. This is why the majority of the worlds cars are automatics with power steering, power windows, air conditioning etc unlike mine which is manual, turbo, power windows and has no AC. However I don't judge the world for driving cars which are easy to drive as you shouldn't judge people for using technology which works as it is supposed to, to make things easier.

2. Probably not the highest level of technlogy but put together in a very good way. As the Wii proves, it isn't the technology which is important by itself but also how you use that technology to make a compelling product.

3. The older resistive touch screens which had small input surfaces are completely removed from a modern capacitive full faced touch screen. I have no idea whether any other company used a capacitive touch screen on a phone or any other device for that matter before Apple. However I do know that there weren't many/any major smart phones which had it before the iPhone and yet every company now has an iPhone lookalike. My smartphone looks like an iPhone to most people.

4. Show me a company who innovates and doesn't just copy everything else as well that competes with Apple.

5. Enter the console market by buying the team which produced a bigger financial failure than the Xbox 1? Thats like suggesting someone buy the worst NFL team to try to get them into the superbowl.

Tease.

Around the Network

Unlikely. Apple has a big brand but they price too high. Its worked in the past as they were selling devices that were fresh (ipod, ipad, iphone). In gaming nintendo innovates, apple loses its advantage.

Nice dream by EA for Apple :P

Khuutra said:

Ignoring the HD-centric tone of the article itself

I'd really like to see this, just to see if Apple would try to leverage some traditional console values (like games sold in stores) or would go more the iStore route. How would it change the game landscape? Would Apple be forced to produce console-esque software, or run away with a niche that the big three were too slow to latch onto (except Sony; they just did a poor job)?

Take an educated guess?

OT: Please do not be true. I don't like Apple. They would make everything small games that you download. Quick and dirty. Away with the big budgets and physical mort'n'brick game copys.

It would be very exciting to see a 4th manufacturer enter the console war but I really don't want it to be Apple.

*afraid*

Slimebeast said:

Take an educated guess?

OT: Please do not be true. I don't like Apple. They would make everything small games that you download. Quick and dirty. Away with the big budgets and physical mort'n'brick game copys.

It would be very exciting to see a 4th manufacturer enter the console war but I really don't want it to be Apple.

*afraid*

Why not be afraid of Sony? Why not be afraid of Microsoft or Nintendo? You can find reasons to fear any one of the 3 console manufacturers. As a Dr im sure you're aware of the effect of stress on the human body, right?

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:

Take an educated guess?

*afraid*

Why not be afraid of Sony? Why not be afraid of Microsoft or Nintendo? You can find reasons to fear any one of the 3 console manufacturers. As a Dr im sure you're aware of the effect of stress on the human body, right?

So what do you advice me to do? Just embrace Apple?

Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:

Take an educated guess?

*afraid*

So what do you advice me to do? Just embrace Apple?

Just accept that if they do come it'll probably mean more competition for your dollars. Any time there are few companies controlling something you get high prices like for instance CPUs where Intel makes a massive profit margin and AMDs isn't too shabby either.

Tease.

They already are in the games industry indirectly with apps for their touch, iphone and ipad lines of products. I don't see why they'd even need to directly enter the market. But if they did, ther certainly have the money, brand and loyal fan base to do it.

Baalzamon said:
Gamerace said:
Killiana1a said:

Interesting theory, which I have an opinion on.

Apple is not a stupid company by any stretch. I believe they are smarter than Microsoft when it comes to computers. Microsoft just has the advantage of colluding with Dell and other computer hardware creators to include Windows and Office in almost every single PC. Apple not having this collusion has profit margins that are higher, puts out the most desired consumer electronics in the US (iPhone, iPad and on), and has basically taken a lot of money from Nintendo DS software sales due to the success of iOS games.

Looking at Apple's culture as a company, the one persistent thing is that they have always come from the "Everyone underestimates us, we are David to Microsoft's Goliath, and I am the little guy with a chip on my shoulder" culture. Many would take this as Apple becoming the modern day Sega. In light of their products, Apple is more in tune with the American family than the counter-culture teenager whom Sega appealed to in the 1990s.

For these reasons, I don't think Apple would ever compete head-to-head with Microsoft and Sony. I think Apple would go for Nintendo's core "family friendly" market in the US. Taking a look at the demand for the iPad, iPhone and their computers amongst dads, moms, kids, and college students, Apple would give Nintendo a major run for it's money in the US market.

If anyone should fear Apple in video games, it is Nintendo. Apple is already mucking up their hand-held monopoly via iOS games. Apple would do the same to any Nintendo console if they jumped into the console market.

This is right.   Apple probably *could* buy EA or such and give MS & Sony a run for their money but...wait... what money!?  They've both lost more money on console gaming than they've ever earned!   There is simply no way high-profit Apple is going to step into those already bloody waters only to lose money too.  Even a win would be considered a loss by shareholders.

They would definitely go after Nintendo's billions making expanded audience and seek to expand it even further.   I'd expect them to come out with a system 'core' gamers consider underpowered and overpriced but that would be super accessible, ultra-cool and sell millions at a price that would make Sony weep in envy.

Wait, you think Apple will provide a console that will make Sony weep (do you mean because its so expensive?  You realize that everything Apple costs more.  Apple computers cost more, Apple mp3 players cost more, Apple tablets cost more.  They won't come out with something cheaper.

No I mean an Apple system would likely sell like Wii despite being at PS3 price points.  It'll succeed on a level Sony clearly hoped for but clearly failed to attain.

Baalzamon said:
Cobretti2 said:
Ostro said:

99,9999% of the haters don't know shit about Apple and their products.

I rather pay "overpriced" stuff that lasts 10 years instead of a crappy PC that has to be modded every 2-3 years and/or replaced & cleaning up the system all the time.

my PC laptop has last 6 years so far haven't formatted. It has been running 24/7 for the last three years with a few reboots here and there whilst i installed updates or software. 

it is all about how to treat your hardware that will determine the life of it. Not a shiny apple on the back lol.

Exactly.  Not to mention, I would really like to see his 10 year old computer play Starcraft 2, LOL

I'd like to see it play games at all... Mac isn't exactly a gamers heaven.