By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NY Times: Kinect "deserves to be the technology hit of the year"

Aaron Greenberg, Chief of Staff for Interactive Entertainment at Microsoft, recently tweeted in favor of a New York Times article about motion control gaming this holiday. The piece largely speaks to the way that Sony and Microsoft are contending for the Wii market, but it came as no surprise to me that Greenberg would support this article when I read this phrase:

"Then you have what deserves, as far as I am concerned, to be the technology hit of the year: the Kinect from Microsoft."

Of course, the NY Times also points out the precision of the Move and the Blu-Ray and 3D capabilities of the PS3, but notes that the system and its motion control peripheral may have trouble selling big because of its price tag.

It also notes that the "Kinect is just in its infancy", shortly followed by some optimistic excitement for the potential the technology holds for the future. It's not surprising, then, by the end of the article that the author, Seth Schiesel, arrives at the conclusion "the real threat to Nintendo and the Wii is not Sony, it is Microsoft and Kinect." He also claims that Xbox Live is "the class of the console gaming industry".

http://www.gamernode.com/news/9856-ny-times-kinect-deserves-to-be-the-technology-hit-of-the-year/index.html

Around the Network

Time magazine gave it to the mobile incubator made out of spare car parts for premature babies. As for Kinect, I think naming it as the most innovative technology of the year is a bit...premature.

I kindly disagree with that dude.

MS PR

kinda expected from the NA media about kiniect ...

Time to Work !

I don't recall the SEGA activator gaining any awards like that...

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

After playing it for a couple hours last night, it deserves it!

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Let me guess, everyone who hasn't tried Kinect things it's not deserved. Everyone who has thinks it is deserved.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

I'm not saying the Kinect isn't a great piece of technology, it is by all means, but i can't shake that "EyeToy" feeling off me when i see it. Nintendo's threat are both Sony and Microsoft.  If Nintendo stops putting out high rated games even for a few months, your gonna see their sales take a dive. Anyways, both Move and Kinect are in their early stages, we just have t wait and see before we start throwing around any kind of awards.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:

I'm not saying the Kinect isn't a great piece of technology, it is by all means, but i can't shake that "EyeToy" feeling off me when i see it. Nintendo's threat are both Sony and Microsoft.  If Nintendo stops putting out high rated games even for a few months, your gonna see their sales take a dive. Anyways, both Move and Kinect are in their early stages, we just have t wait and see before we start throwing around any kind of awards.

Try PLAYING it.

It's not the same experience.

daroamer said:
Areym said:

Try PLAYING it.

It's not the same experience.

He's got a point. I had a friend trying to tell me that Kinect is really not that different than the Wii. I kept telling him he needed to try Kinect before he said that. I had him over to my house to play it. The end result? He went out an got Kinect.

Once you play it, you understand.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!