By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have unlearned how to be good at 2D Platformers...DKCR very difficult.

When I was a kid, I used to be able to finish, for instance, Super Castlevania 4 (SNES) without losing a single life, no kidding...this was back in 1992...now 18 years later I´m sucking at DKCR, I´m finding it pretty difficult, and have already died more times in the game than in any other game released this year (for example, I have played both God of War 3 and Bayonetta on hard and died less than in DKCR)...I´m now in world 4 and dying often.

I guess 15 years of playing 3D platformers and action games have definitely left me rusted.

Anyone else in the same boat or kind of?

Around the Network
JGarret said:

When I was a kid, I used to be able to finish, for instance, Super Castlevania 4 (SNES) without losing a single life, no kidding...this was back in 1992...now 18 years later I´m sucking at DKCR, I´m finding it pretty difficult, and have already died more times in the game than in any other game released this year (for example, I have played both God of War 3 and Bayonetta on hard and died less than in DKCR)...I´m now in world 4 and dying often.

I guess 15 years of playing 3D platformers and action games have definitely left me rusted.

Anyone else in the same boat or kind of?

It's apparently hard even if you are still skilled in those games.

But picking up some of those old games on the VC wouldn't hurt.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Your skills at Super Castlevania IV have won you my complete and utter respect

On topic, I would track down or download more 2d platformers in order to rebuild your skills

I had the same thing going back to Sly Cooper thievius raccoonus.

Checkpoints are far in between, lives run out, 1 or 2 hit deaths, and you actually have to time, aim and steer while jumping. (unlinke Enslaved for example)

Modern action games just put you in a mode of pressing forward and spamming the jump or attack button repeatedly.

It's a lot more fun and rewarding to finish a level in dkcr and co-op is done a lot better then nsmb.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to get all the puzzle pieces and letters again after you die and get thrown out of the level after you run out of lives. LBP got that part right after they introduced the infite respawn checkpoints.

The game was very easy for me at first, I had 99 ballons by world 4 and zero game overs. After the secret level of World 5, it only went downhill to several game overs.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I had the same thing going back to Sly Cooper thievius raccoonus.

Checkpoints are far in between, lives run out, 1 or 2 hit deaths, and you actually have to time, aim and steer while jumping. (unlinke Enslaved for example)

Modern action games just put you in a mode of pressing forward and spamming the jump or attack button repeatedly.

It's a lot more fun and rewarding to finish a level in dkcr and co-op is done a lot better then nsmb.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to get all the puzzle pieces and letters again after you die and get thrown out of the level after you run out of lives. LBP got that part right after they introduced the infite respawn checkpoints.

I sensed sakamoto's mom refence there...

Above: still the best game of the year.

MrT-Tar said:

Your skills at Super Castlevania IV have won you my complete and utter respect

On topic, I would track down or download more 2d platformers in order to rebuild your skills

Well, thank you :)

Though, this was 18 years ago, if I tried that nowadays, I´d get slaughtered.

I never stopped playing them. Yay me!   However, that happens with anything. I use to be pretty good at playing a few different insturments. Now I am horrible and cant be bothered with it.

P.S. DKCR's is actually decently hard so it is differently not just you.

In preparation for DKCR I went through Donkey Kong Country, getting everything, without losing life, and in under an hour!

TAKE THAT CRANKY, I WILL SEE YOU AGAIN IN 3 WEEKS.

people may not ever get a game over because they give plenty of lives, but the games is very, very difficut. and I am very skilled at platformers

5-k is a pain