By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD numbers released today

WOW @ DS! Simply amazing. Great Wii numbers. Sooo damn close to a mill.

Nice jump for X360. Solid for PSP & PS2.

Horrific for PS3.  A price cut, new games and all it could do is place dead freaking last. LMAO!!!

This is more embarrassing than those under 100k months.

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Around the Network

VGchartz data is getting very good as far as hardware goes

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

NJ5 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
That's a pretty good job on the hardware front, only Wii and 360 fall out of the 10% (both overtracked by vgchartz). Have the number been adjusted yet?

They're not outside the 10% if you consider that NPD's numbers are USA only.

So that means the PS3 was really undertracked considering vgchartz numbers = 439,334 amd NPD numbers = 466,000....

FilaBrasileiro said:
NJ5 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
That's a pretty good job on the hardware front, only Wii and 360 fall out of the 10% (both overtracked by vgchartz). Have the number been adjusted yet?

So that means the PS3 was really undertracked considering vgchartz numbers = 439,334 amd NPD numbers = 466,000....

Only if you assume NPD is so much more accurate, personally I think they overtracked the PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

About COD4 and SMG,

COD4 is a very very good game and is a game that is preferred by early adopters, I believe it should sell around 4 million lifetime, very good sales. SMG is popular in ALL markets (COD4 is lacking Japan where SMG should get around 1.5 million)

I would be VERY disapointed if SMG sold less than 7 million, I hope it sell around 9... which it should be able to consider the possible size of the Wii user base.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
kamil said:
SystemNPD NPD*1.1Vgchartz Difference
PS2 496546 548 +0.4%
PS3 466513 488 -4.9%
PSP 567 624 521 -16.5%
X360 770847 882 +4.1%
Wii 981 1079 1158 +7.3%
DS 1530 1683 1579 -6.2%

Wow that is pretty good for all hardware, even the PSP is somewhat close.  The other five are spot on.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Dolla Dolla said:
Last year's Numbers comparison:

November 2006 NPD
DS 918k
Wii 476k (supply constrained launch)
360 511k
PS2 664k
PS3 197k (supply constrained launch)

November 2007 NPD
DS 1.53mil (I said, "Wow")
Wii 981k
360 770k
PS2 496k
PS3 466k

Percentage change
DS +66%
Wii +106%
360 +51%
PS2 -25%
PS3 +136%

PS3 DOMINATION begins!

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

erikers said:
Can somebody post the 360's Guitar hero 3 bundled AND unbundled numbers so we can see what it actually sold? 

Yeah, anyone with access to the NPD spreadsheet, please post the total numbers for 360 GH3.

Eh already explained. Decent numbers, wonder what caused the software to screw up. Local guitar stores around me were selling GH3 PS2 and 360 versions. (no wii or PS3). Though things like that seem way to small. Must be a Wal-mart thing.

FilaBrasileiro said:
NJ5 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:

Not really... if you know anything about statistical analysis anyway. If you have two tracking sources that are both within an acceptable level of accuracy you can't really ever be sure which one is closer until the shipped numbers come out. Even if one has more sources, because having a good formula is just as important as having good sources. If for some reason you absolutely needed a solid number it would be best to take a number in the middle that leans slightly more towards the NPD number then the VGchartz one. It's slightly more likely that it's between the two, then it is on the other sides of them.