By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - FIFA World Cup 2018 & 2022 host nations announced.

Kasz216 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
JazzyJeez said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Mayor of London Boris Johnson cancels Fifa hotel stay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11921692

so much for "we don't bribe".

Who said that the English or any other countries didn't influence or bribe for votes, you need to get out this mentality that the English or US think they're whiter than white, because we don't, and if you want I could give you a list the things Qatar did.

Corruption is corruption and needs to be sorted out, the whole bidding & voting needs to be made transparent, obviously not during a bid.

I admit my post is quite ridiculous but so most of the posts here. Fifa sucks, is this breaking news?

I would rather worry, complain and bitch about other more important flaws in fifa's system than a world cup in 2022.

It is for some people.  I constantly talk about how FIFA is corrupt and usually people don't care.

It's nice for people to care now.  I mean hell, look at when they changed the rules so France could qualify last year.

I doubt it will change anything. People care only when they lose. I am sure if we look back at history of FIFA we will find similar situations that served England well and screwed the others. (your france vs Ireland example is kind of enough)

Qatar is not gonna recover from the losses and they will spend much more than they will get in 22022. I wish our presidents had your mentality, this is an obvious waste of cash. I can't say that irresponsible spendings is something new to the gulf countries though, sigh.

Around the Network
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Kasz216 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
JazzyJeez said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Mayor of London Boris Johnson cancels Fifa hotel stay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11921692

so much for "we don't bribe".

Who said that the English or any other countries didn't influence or bribe for votes, you need to get out this mentality that the English or US think they're whiter than white, because we don't, and if you want I could give you a list the things Qatar did.

Corruption is corruption and needs to be sorted out, the whole bidding & voting needs to be made transparent, obviously not during a bid.

I admit my post is quite ridiculous but so most of the posts here. Fifa sucks, is this breaking news?

I would rather worry, complain and bitch about other more important flaws in fifa's system than a world cup in 2022.

It is for some people.  I constantly talk about how FIFA is corrupt and usually people don't care.

It's nice for people to care now.  I mean hell, look at when they changed the rules so France could qualify last year.

I doubt it will change anything. People care only when they lose. I am sure if we look back at history of FIFA we will find similar situations that served England well and screwed the others. (your france vs Ireland example is kind of enough)

Qatar is not gonna recover from the losses and they will spend much more than they will get in 22022. I wish our presidents had your mentality, this is an obvious waste of cash. I can't say that irresponsible spendings is something new to the gulf countries though, sigh.

It's exactly why I hate the "Developmental countries" push too... all you are doing is hurting them, not helping.  The developmental pushes I think have less to do with a sign of fairness, and more to do with developmental countries' bribes more likely to be cash, rather then spending cash for them to have a good time.

All leaders care about are "Presitge" events though.   At best, because they can be the leader who brought the World Cup to the country, and at worst because they want to see a world cup, not have to travel and are powerful enough to pull it off.

At least in countries with good Soccer teams the locals can see their teams make a run for it.

What is the World cup in Qatar going to be like?

Watch Qatar lose in the openings porbably 4-0 or higher every match... and then watch all the better teams win.  I don't get it.

EDIT: Not that Qatar is a developing country, considering it's the second richest country in the world per person.  It's just part of the world who is used to, and see's no scandal in just buying whateverthey want with cash.

Same with Russia, though the "developing" angle can still be played with Russia.

So I reckon the top 5 bidders on the objective assessment criteria should all just go into a hat and the one drawn from the hat gets to host.

None of this voting bullshit. Don't people already know that campaign style democracy is eminently corruptable?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Kasz216 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

It's exactly why I hate the "Developmental countries" push too... all you are doing is hurting them, not helping.  The developmental pushes I think have less to do with a sign of fairness, and more to do with developmental countries' bribes more likely to be cash, rather then spending cash for them to have a good time.

All leaders care about are "Presitge" events though.   At best, because they can be the leader who brought the World Cup to the country, and at worst because they want to see a world cup, not have to travel and are powerful enough to pull it off.

And citizens obviously. I haven't discussed the subject with anyone who thinks Qatar made a mistake and I live in JORDAN! The Arabic media isn't any less stupid, I have yet to read ONE article or watch a piece of news that considers the situation faulty and flawed. Hailing Qatar on an hourly basis and how this is an achievement for all Arabs rofl. Yeah, I need an escape soon....

Kasz216 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Kasz216 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
JazzyJeez said:

EDIT: Not that Qatar is a developing country, considering it's the second richest country in the world per person.

yeah but still lagging behind in educational systems and they almost export (manufacture) nothing?

Around the Network
Cougarman said:
kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:

Russia is a joke. Plactic football pitches, freezing cold weather, corrupt as hell, country is way too big...

Qatar, I can possibly understand. They have the potential to put ona  great WC.

Russia though.. Stupid, stupid decision.

Are you insane?

Average temperature in Qatar in june.....?  115 degrees.  Do me a favour.

Qatar has fuck all to do with football and will have to manufacture a culture around it.  Lots of cash sloshing around though.  Absolute joke!

Football is the number 1 sport in Qatar, i cant say the same for your picks Australia and USA, Middle eastern countries really love their football, their teams might not be good but they have passionate fans.

lol. Despite soccer being the 5th or 6th biggest sport in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if we have more fans that Qatar does. Relatively popularity is irrelevant.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

binary solo said:

So I reckon the top 5 bidders on the objective assessment criteria should all just go into a hat and the one drawn from the hat gets to host.

None of this voting bullshit. Don't people already know that campaign style democracy is eminently corruptable?

Strictly speaking, democracy itself isn't very consistent, see for example Arrow's theorem and other paradoxes of the voting systems :)

Kasz216 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Kasz216 said:
kowenicki said:
kopstudent89 said:
kowenicki said:
kopstudent89 said:

Your behaviour is poor. You didnt even read what Qatar had to offer. The stadiums that will be built will then be taken apart and donated afterwards to 3rd world countries(yes donated). Another thing, the stadiums will be airconditioned with green technology in order to get too hot inside the pitch.. u heard it.

Your beahviour is disgraceful

I'm sure Ethiopia or someone will really welcome a football stadium!?!?

how about some water and food first?   or perhaps a shit load of free oil?

please.... spare me. 

Why so angry :P does it really have to revolve around europe every 4 years??

I'm not remotely angry.... and yes.

Me i'd pretty much just rotate between Europe and South America until the other teams start picking it up.

So whats the point of calling it a world cup? And other countries cant jus ''pick up'', they need something to push football as sport in that country. Look what WC 2002 did in Japan andn Korea, they are both pretty solid national teams and they were pretty  bad before the WC 2002

You mean, the Same Japan who's highest FIFA ranking came in 1997?

And the Same Korea who's highest FIFA ranking came in... 1998?

Then who both plummeted quite  a bit before the world cup in Korea?

Their historical rankings so no world cup effect all... if anything it shows that the pressure makes local teams worse,  which FIFA covers for during the actual world cup season by inflating their rankings.

I noticed you left out South Africa.. because well... their soccer program took a huge downfall since they got the WC.

Qatar will be the weakest host country in hisotry.  They may be the first host country to not score a goal.  Who does that really benefit?

It doesnt change the fact that WC helped football assosiation in Japan and Korea A LOT.Which is what FIFA is trying to achive in Quatar and Russia. And btw, where was USA before '94 ? Or France before '98 (im sure they were good, but not number 1)?

''if anything it shows that the pressure makes local teams worse'' - Yeah, hosting WC 1998 really made France fail miserably...

As for South Africa, its gonna take some time and more investments for football in order to become ''big'' in that country.

There is no denial about Quatar not having good performance on WC, but i think it will motivate their team to play much better for their people of their country in Wolrd Cup. If not in that particilar world cup, than maybe the next one. it will inspire their team to do better on the next big events.

The WC didn't do anything for USA soccer... ask ANYBODY in the USA.

Also, uh... have you seen France's soccer program lately?  They needed FIFA corruption to even get in.

But no, France isn't intimidated by the world cup because they're France.

They expect to be in every year... and they expect to go far every year.

So there is no pressure like "God we need to qualify, the hosts always qualify!"  or "IF we don't when a game we'll be a laughing stock!"

That's exactly why you want to hold the World Cup in places like Europe and South America.

US football team became much better after that event.

And i wasnt talking about french football today, i used 1998 WC as an example of French football succses.

And i didnt quite understand the bolded sentence

Host Teams are put under huge pressure to succeed because they are hat home... when in reality they shouldn't be competing.  France didn't have that worry because France ALWAYS should be competing.

The 94 cup did not help US soccer. People cared about soccer about 4 months after the WC then stopped.  It did little for US soccer.  The US improvements were tied to completely different things.

That really depends on what national team you are talking about. And its not necceraly true all the time. Hosting a world cup can (and will) have lots of positive effects on national team of the country as well as negative ones.

Except... all the stats seem to show it hasn't... it doesn't help the countries economically and "smaller market" teams seem to shrink from the pressure rather then improve.

Heck, look at South Africa.  Anywhere else in the world... I think they preform better then they did.

Africa as a whole underperformed.  Everyone thought Africa would get a boost like Europeon and South American teams get, but in the end they cracked under the pressure and if anything played worse.

Having home field advantage in the cup only helps a team if the team has the swagger and belief they deserve to be there in the first place.  Otherwise they're just worried about surviving long enough to not embaress themselves.

You gotta be in it to win it.

Abu dhabi are hosting the clubs world cup:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/article800734.ece/Booze-and-kissing-banned-from-Club-World-Cup

What will Qatar do in 2022? All for preserving your culture etc. but it's a global event.