By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Girl Game" Recommendations for a New Wii Owner

gurok said:

dschumm said:
Mario and Sonic is another good choice.

Yes, but it's a little too close to the whole Wii Sports theme. That's a shame too, because it has some neat edutainment style Olympics trivia in it, and would get better as we get closer to Beijing 2008.

Thank-you for all of the suggestions so far.

I feel I should add a little more background to this. My sister came over about two months ago with her eldest daughter. At the time, I had Wii Sports, Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids 1 and Super Paper Mario. We played a bit of Wii Sports (okay, a lot), and I showed them the rest of the games I had. I've already shown them bits and pieces of the later parts of SPM and RRR1. I feel it'd kind of cheapen the experience a bit if I got them either of those two games. And I guess that kinda' rules out RRR2 too, unless it's a complete departure from the first game.

Thanks for the warning about Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, quigontcb.

So, out of the suggestions I've gotten so far, I'm considering:

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • MySims
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
  • Mario Party 8
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves
  • Petz 2: Horsez
  • Zelda: Twilight Princess

I've ruled out:

• Super Paper Mario (I've spoiled it)
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids (I've spoiled this too)
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Too similar to Wii Sports)
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Thanks quigontcb, and I wasn't sure if they'd like the monkeys)

Sorry to be so picky, and thanks to everyone for suggestions. I honestly wouldn't have even considered Petz 2: Horsez, but it's a surprisingly good fit.

fkusumot, given what I've said about the RRR series, would you consider WarioWare to be a good, social hit with this tough crowd? More of a hit than Super Mario Galaxy would be?

Actually from control/gameplay Mario&Sonic is more like Mario Party, RR, then Wii Sports. Its more done like the old "olympics" game on nes, snes. Thistime you just have to wave the Wii mote up and down instead of pushing the button as fast as possible.

Around the Network

Ok, I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but...

I've got an 8 year old daughter who wouldn't touch the Wii remote. I had tried numerous games, and she just wasn't interested at all. So naturally, on her 8th birthday, I was a little skeptical when she circled "Hannah Montana" for the Wii. I looked and looked and looked for a bargain, because I just did not want to spend $50 on a game I knew she wouldn't play. But no such luck. And I knew she wasn't really a Hannah Montana fan, just her friends were (she doesn't even get up Saturday morning to watch it).

Anyway, long story short: She plays it all the time, and so does her 11 year old brother and two of his friends. They love it. It's basically just Dance Dance Revolution with a nunchuck and remote instead of a floor pad. The game has some problems (strange stuff, like she floats around the dressing room and other areas when she's right at the "border", awful lip-to-voice synching) controls don't register many of the times. But at around 16 songs and big time fan service paid, it seems to go over big with the Hannah Montana crowd. So I recommend it if they are into HM, and I recommend against it if they are not.

Mario Party 8 definitely. The game is a blast when you play it with your family. We are four at home, my parents plus my sister and me and we have spent countless hours on playing Mario Party 1-5 together.

Also, when the original Mario Party was released, I was about 12 years old and I often played it with girls in my age back then because they really liked it too, so I think this will please those girls definitely.

The only problem with Mario Party is that it is not really funny when there are less than four people, but when there are six family members, four should be available often enough the play the game.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

About Wario Ware, I'm not too sure about that game. I myself really like it, and together with my sister I have all versions of this game (She owns the handheld games and I own the console versions).

I bought the console versions especially because I have game parties at home from time to time with people that don't game that much usually, and I thought that Wario Ware would be great fun at these events. The problem is, the multiplayer modes are not really worked out. Because of that, it usually gets boring fast although the concept is great, and we move on the games like Mario Tennis, Time Splitters, the original Monkey Ball (which is great for multiplayer btw) or Raving Rabbits lately.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Okay, I'll add a question. My girls (11 & 8) have been asking for Hannah & High School Musical and I'm cringing. I thought about getting DDR instead (not a fan of that either), but at least I know it is considered to be a fun game. Are they (HSM, HM)like Singstar (and how do they compare)? or are they like DDR? Or a combination? I would ask if they are worth it, but I already know the answer ;). So all I'll ask is if kids that do like some good games will find these shovelware or fun?

My 11 year old loves trivia, and plays with the adults when we have board game trivia/Cranium night.... so Smarty Pants or Big Brain Academy? Or go with Buzz for my PS2? I heard Wii Cranium was very poor.

I was thinking BBA would drop to $20 soon, so I was holding off on that, but for Christmas...... I could go there.

I'll almost need another Wii to play my games after the minigames invade in two weeks. Sigh.......

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Korinpa is a great although short game - but it is fantastic

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Is Big Brain Academy packed with a Wiimote in Australia? And do they still need more Wiimotes?

I'm still waiting for a developer to come up with something that uses a Wii-Mote in each hand!

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

WarioWare needs to be as high on that list as possible. Far more fun than Mario Party 8.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I bought Mario Party 8 instead of WarioWare and maybe I made a mistake :(

Anyway, I cannot recommend Kororinpa Marble Mania for kids and adults. It is an amazing game and you will find it on the cheap online. Also, I know Mario and Sonic at the Olympics has been ruled out but that game seems perfect for kids and it should stay fresh all of next year because of the olympics. Also, I know this may sound strange but I would think about the Wii Zapper. Everyone in my family played Duck Hunt when I was a kid and none of us have gone crazy with guns or anything.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com