By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all have been gamers for so long right, but where did it REALLY start?

I don't remember my first game, but I remember my first few.  I'm not exactly sure which one was first but I know they were all on the PCJr.

I remember playing King's Quest, Jumpman, and Shamus before anything else.  I couldn't really play King's Quest very well at all, but it was neat to look at (same as Zork but that one wasn't so neat to look at).  I remember a few other games like Fraction Fever, Gertrude's Secrets (another learning game), and Facemaker, but my first ones were definately King's Quest, Jumpman, and Shamus.  I also remembering slowly learning DOS (I was like four or five probably) and thinking that was about the coolest thing ever.

I also remember the first time I saw a NES.  I was at a friends house who had Laserdiscs and The Legend of Zelda and I thought those were just about the coolest things ever.  I don't remember when we got an NES but I definately remember going to his house and playing Zelda and just being fascinated.

Both of those are my earliest gaming memories and funny enough I know the NES was the first console my family owned, but I can't remember my first experiences with my NES.  That said, I still have my original working NES.  ^^

Around the Network

Back on the Regular Nintendo somewhere. However I became a TRUE gamer when my grandma purchased what I considered at the time the best creation on earth. The Sony PlayStation.

Pong, bitches!

Pokemon, that is all

Some breakout clone was my first game, I think. Somewhere in 1984 or 1985, 3-4 y/o and I was spending most of my days at my dad's workplace. Game only had 4 levels, and it took me a few days to get through the last one... then it traumatized me because after all this it just started from lvl 1 again. After that I played whatever I could find on PC until I discovered ZSNES and DeJap's fan translation of Tales of Phantasia (maybe in 2001 or 2002) - got a PS2 after that because I wanted to play more games like this.

Around the Network

I was about 5 or 6 when I got my Super Nintendo - and that's about when I really got into games. Of course at that age it was just about doing something to keep busy, keep me quiet and keep me relaxed lol but my hardcore start into the whole gaming thing was when I got a glimpse of Metal Gear Solid on the PSone - I had never seen anything so realistic before! As soon as I got a PSone as a gift and the Metal Gear Solid demo.. I beat that thing atleast 30 times until I got the real game.

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

Arcades are where it all started for me with some of my favourite games being Scramble and Galaxian amongst many (Insert "Welcome Space Cadet" in robotic voice for nostalgia). My defining games would of probably been playing Duke NukemDoom via a Null modem cable this was awesome and got me into multiplayer gaming. One memory I have which has stuck with me was the first time I used the sniper rifle in Team Fortres Classic. The map Canal Zone 2 the victim a hapless engineer. The red dot hovered then boom he dropped like a sack of spuds and I actually felt like I had killed him for a moment.

My earliest home gaming experiences would of been with something called the Dragon but most of my early gaming life was with the Amiga an awesome gaming machine especially when I got my hard drive this pretty much transformed the way I played after all UFO Enemy Unkown was like 11 or so disks and I could boot this puppy up in mere minutes on my SCSI Squirrel Iomega Zip drive (Happy Days!).

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

One of my friends had a NES with SMB, I'd go round to his house just to play it some more. I had to wait a couple of years to get my own NES, but I had an Amstrad CPC with about 40 games in the meantime. I loved it, but I always wanted the NES. When I got one, it was the happiest day of my life to that point.

VGChartz

The original Mortal Kombat,I believe.

MY Goodness... most of you are such young pups!!!

My first time playing that got me hooked was COMBAT on Atari.  Pitfall was a tie with Pole Position.

First real computer game I enjoyed was the Sierra game Hero's Quest on my PCII.  Ah Nostalgia....

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.