By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all have been gamers for so long right, but where did it REALLY start?

The first game I played was on a computer my dad put together in 1980. He was an engineer at Phillips at the time working on developing the first pc's. It ran a simple form of BASIC. He made a 'racing' game on it that consisted of a grid of 40x50 black/white blocks with the car a white block having to follow a path carved out on screen. It behaved like pacman, only 90 degree turns. Speeding up made the blocks take bigger steps. Hit the wall, game over. It had multipayer and you could make your own tracks.

The first game system I got was the MSX with Konami land in 1984

The first pc I played on ran at 0.8 mHz, with 512kb of ram and had 2 10Mb HDDs which would hardly hold 1 modern digital picture nowadays. My current pc is about 3500 times faster. (Or 14000 times faster adding up the cores)

It played games on it like bouncing babies, alley cat and kings quest 1

Yeah pc was far behind consoles in those days.

Around the Network

Hm, well i started out gaming on old apple CPU, Atari, and some other things my dad had when I was like 4-5. However, me and my brother collected enough cans to sale and buy a NES after seeing the NES at my uncles. I would say taht was the day I actually  became a gamer. We pretty much played everything. between my half brother step brother couple local friends and me we pretty much had all the games. I also got the GameBoy along with 4 games from a friend

When it was obivous I was the one most into it and spent the most time with it I got the SNES the first XMAS it was out from my mother. If it was by Nintendo and released stateside I had it. My room was covered in Nintendo Power posters and pictures. Along with a big Mario trunk and well a whole lot of stuff I wish I had taken better care of (Owell I still have one of my plushies!)

I also ended up getting the Sega consoles and the first two Playstations.

When I was six weeks old my father put an NES controller in my hands. Supuer Mario Bros. was in the game slot. I was gaming seriously before I can remember - some of my earliest memories involve SMB and Duck Hunt.

Insofar as my own perspective is concerned, I have always been a gamer.

Khuutra said:

When I was six weeks old my father put an NES controller in my hands. Supuer Mario Bros. was in the game slot. I was gaming seriously before I can remember - some of my earliest memories involve SMB and Duck Hunt.

Makes me feel pathetic. Molly is now 17 months old and still has yet to play a game.

She does however know what to do with a Wiimote when toying around with Netflix.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:

Makes me feel pathetic. Molly is now 17 months old and still has yet to play a game.

She does however know what to do with a Wiimote when toying around with Netflix.

Honestly, that's probably for the best. Help her cut her eye teeth on Kirby's Epic Yarn or something when she has the motor skills to play it.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:

Honestly, that's probably for the best. Help her cut her eye teeth on Kirby's Epic Yarn or something when she has the motor skills to play it.

You're probably right. While I love gaming, it has made me a bit anti-social outside of the workplace. I do not want Molly to end up that way.

My goal in life to make her end up much differently than I am, with the only similarity being my humorous personality.

She is my world.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:

You're probably right. While I love gaming, it has made me a bit anti-social outside of the workplace. I do not want Molly to end up that way.

A legitimate worry, though I'll point out that gaming is blessedly more social than when we were small. If you frame it as a social activity for her, then she'll grow up thinking of it as such.

Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore and Zelda the Awakening on Gameboy.

Final Fantasy didnt exist in Europe at the time. I have never heard of it and those games were the best RPGs a kid in my age could get. I was totally blown away when I played it first time. It was rented for 2 weeks. After I played it I got so addicted that I saved all my money to buy those games. They were damn expensive about 70-75 Euro (back in the 90s this was a lot) so I had to buy them myself I was 8 at the time and saved every cent for months. And I mean literally every cent I never bought anything not even water when I was thirsty. 

And since then I was only buying games with big package, books in it and birds eye perspective pictures on the package. I didnt know how to identify good games at the time, later I found out about the free nintendo magazine. 

donkey Kong Country or it was Pokemon yellow 

either one were my first game 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Khuutra said:
Euphoria14 said:
Khuutra said:

A legitimate worry, though I'll point out that gaming is blessedly more social than when we were small. If you frame it as a social activity for her, then she'll grow up thinking of it as such.

Thank you. This is why I respect you more than majority of people on this forum.

Currently playing: