By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Major Nelson: Kinect Sold 2.5 million in first 25 days

OntheEdgeofthemirror said:
nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:
heruamon said:
heruamon said:

One thing always bothers me when MS or any major company releases sold to consumer numbers, how the hell do they know exactly how much every single retailer has sold world wide, bottom line they don't they are either guessing or releasing shipped numbers when it's close to being sold out because they can get away with it 

It's not that hard, if you REALLY want to get the number, which I'm sure M$ wanted.  They upped their estimates, so they probably notified retailer to report all sales to them...why would it be difficult?  Walmart, for example, tracks EVERYTHING...which is why they were so good.  Now, if M$ wanted numbers for everything they sell, retialer might have a gripe with that...but notice that they report OVER 2.5, which accounts for the variance...

because kinect ships to 60,000 retailers in like 300 countries thats why it's difficult, it's not 10 phones calls, and I'm sure not all of them disclose their numbers 

If you started, WITH the intent to track sales, it's not that hard of a problem, but why would you...evidently, M$ wanted to be able to do so.  They don't need to track every sale, just the major batches from major retailers, since they aren't telling you, 2,524,234 kinect units sold...based on the order of magnitude, it is not that hard.  I'm sure all the major retailing outlet in most of Europe and North America can provide the data to M$.  As to why would they do so...maybe because M$ paid them to provide the data...afterall...they did budget $500 million to the launch EFFORT.

Again we are back to the fact thats it's just an estimate and we have no idea how accurate it is assuming it is even that rather then just claiming shiped are sold because they seem sold out in most places 

They are ALL estimates!  Oh my goodness you are so frustrating!  Even Nintendo's internal tracking service is an "estimation".

Get over the fact that Kinect is selling much better than you want.  Accept that what we have is sold to consumers numbers, because they are. According to Aaron Greenberg and MS it is sold to consumers, not shipped.

Please stop spreading FUD as that is a bannable offense.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that mod staff haven't banned you yet after you have constantly tried to troll the 360 bringing up the old RROD talk, claiming MS is lying about figures, etc.

Sony's numbers aren't estimates, and with 500 million in advertising it better be selling good and since MS estimated that 68% failrate was within industry average I don't trust their math 

Shipped numbers aren't estimates.  Thanks for stating the obvious.  All sold to consumer numbers are estimates.   You were praising Nintendo so much and saying they can do track sold to consumbers, but it's actually still just an estimate.

OH NO's!  That means it is just a guess and we have no idea how accurate Nintendo's sold to consumers numbers are!

So if you are willing to accept Nintendo's "estimation/guess" to be reliable then you would also have to accept Microsoft's on Kinect.

It's selling more than good.  It's selling amazingly well, better than the competition which I think is what really is bothering you and keeps you arguing a losing battle on these threads.

Not really nintendo is more reliable then MS, always has been, probably always will be, and nintendo has been doing it, we don't even know if MSes are tracked estimates or a little less then shipped 

We do know.  You just won't accept that.

And I love how you proclaim the accuracy of Nintendo when you haven't even shown any proof of their accuracy or methods either.... Hmmmmm...

Hypocrite much?

Around the Network
nightsurge said:We do know.  You just won't accept that.

And I love how you proclaim the accuracy of Nintendo when you haven't even shown any proof of their accuracy or methods either.... Hmmmmm...

Hypocrite much?

No you assume, and nintendo never gave me a reason to distrust them, MS gave everyone hundreds of thousands 

9% is nowhere in that link, and even squaretrades (the lowest reported number) had it at 16.4%-35% years later (as in after the first year) so your number is bull

Sigh.

"In mid-November 2006, about 645,079 units, or 8.8 percent of the total units shipped, had been returned for repair."

Direct from the source.

Y'know for a guy so anal about accurate reporting sources, you sure don't use any. 

RAZurrection said:

9% is nowhere in that link, and even squaretrades (the lowest reported number) had it at 16.4%-35% years later (as in after the first year) so your number is bull

Sigh.

"In mid-November 2006, about 645,079 units, or 8.8 percent of the total units shipped, had been returned for repair."

Direct from the source.

Y'know for a guy so anal about accurate reporting sources, you sure don't use any. 

Yea I saw it while reading through the thing, was about to edit my post, anyways that doesn't mean that only 8.8 had a console fail, that means 8.8% had a console fail outside of the 3 month warrenty within the first year and still had the broken console and knew about MS repairing them for free, so no1 who bought a warrenty, no1 who had it repaired by a third party (or by MS earlier)  no1 who had it break in the first 3 months, no1 who threw theirs out counts in that 8.8%, it doesn't even include the number of refunds MS gave out on consoles they repaired in the first year and charged for hardly something to judge total failrate over

Yea I saw it while reading through the thing, was about to edit my post, anyways that doesn't mean that only 8.8 had a console fail, that means 8.8% had a console fail out of the 3 month warrenty within the first year and still had the broken console and knew about MS repairing them for free, so no1 who bought a warrenty, no1 who had it break in the first 3 months, no1 who threw theirs out counts in that 8.8% 

Thus from all recorded reports of failure, Xbox 360 failures were still within industry standards.

Around the Network

Hypocrite much?

No you assume, and nintendo never gave me a reason to distrust them, MS gave everyone hundreds of thousands 

There is no reason to assume otherwise.

And MS didn't give everyone hundreds of thousands of reasons to distrust them.  You simply are extremely biased.

nightsurge said:

Hypocrite much?

There is no reason to assume otherwise.

And MS didn't give everyone hundreds of thousands of reasons to distrust them.  You simply are extremely biased.

I really don't have time to list them all but are you really saying you don't think you have any reason not to trust MS?

RAZurrection said:

Yea I saw it while reading through the thing, was about to edit my post, anyways that doesn't mean that only 8.8 had a console fail, that means 8.8% had a console fail out of the 3 month warrenty within the first year and still had the broken console and knew about MS repairing them for free, so no1 who bought a warrenty, no1 who had it break in the first 3 months, no1 who threw theirs out counts in that 8.8% 

Thus from all recorded reports of failure, Xbox 360 failures were still within industry standards.

No thats not all record reports, what about the ones that died within the 90 day warrenty, or again that MS fixed for a price earlier that year? the 8.8 isn't all the reported ones, it's all the ones sent to MS after they heard MS was fixing any that died in the first year for free, thats it just half of the nov month just the ones sent in during that time, not to mention other countries which the offer wasn't made too 

I started reading this whole argument and then I said "What am I doing? I could be playing Kinect." I'm so smart.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Let's try and stay on topic and keep the discussion to the announcment by MS of 2.5 million kinects sold. And to that point that's a good start to the holiday sales for Kinect.  It would be nice to get some numbers on console sales, hopefully will have some numbers on that soon.