By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Major Nelson: Kinect Sold 2.5 million in first 25 days

RAZurrection said:
OntheEdgeofthemirror said:
heruamon said:
nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:

Where does it say that?

In the Twitter.

Twitter doesn't specify if it's the goal or the sold number that is to consumers 

Yes it does.

LOL...maybe the PR will clarify thing:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/nov10/11-29msxboxblackfridaymopr.mspx

"...propelled retail sales of Kinect for Xbox 360 to more than 2.5 million units worldwide ..."

so sold to retailers then

Sold at retail.

Well...normally, people understand exactly what reatil sales mean, since, you know, it's blasted on TV all day long, during the holiday shopping period, but I guess some people just don't pay much attention to all that "yucky" financial stuff.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

BTW...notice how the crickets are creaking in this thread, unlike others...lol...no doubt about how this site leans...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
heruamon said:

One thing always bothers me when MS or any major company releases sold to consumer numbers, how the hell do they know exactly how much every single retailer has sold world wide, bottom line they don't they are either guessing or releasing shipped numbers when it's close to being sold out because they can get away with it 

It's not that hard, if you REALLY want to get the number, which I'm sure M$ wanted.  They upped their estimates, so they probably notified retailer to report all sales to them...why would it be difficult?  Walmart, for example, tracks EVERYTHING...which is why they were so good.  Now, if M$ wanted numbers for everything they sell, retialer might have a gripe with that...but notice that they report OVER 2.5, which accounts for the variance...

because kinect ships to 60,000 retailers in like 300 countries thats why it's difficult, it's not 10 phones calls, and I'm sure not all of them disclose their numbers 

If you started, WITH the intent to track sales, it's not that hard of a problem, but why would you...evidently, M$ wanted to be able to do so.  They don't need to track every sale, just the major batches from major retailers, since they aren't telling you, 2,524,234 kinect units sold...based on the order of magnitude, it is not that hard.  I'm sure all the major retailing outlet in most of Europe and North America can provide the data to M$.  As to why would they do so...maybe because M$ paid them to provide the data...afterall...they did budget $500 million to the launch EFFORT.

Again we are back to the fact thats it's just an estimate and we have no idea how accurate it is assuming it is even that rather then just claiming shiped are sold because they seem sold out in most places 

They are ALL estimates!  Oh my goodness you are so frustrating!  Even Nintendo's internal tracking service is an "estimation".

Get over the fact that Kinect is selling much better than you want.  Accept that what we have is sold to consumers numbers, because they are. According to Aaron Greenberg and MS it is sold to consumers, not shipped.

Please stop spreading FUD as that is a bannable offense.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that mod staff haven't banned you yet after you have constantly tried to troll the 360 bringing up the old RROD talk, claiming MS is lying about figures, etc.

RAZurrection said:
heruamon said:
nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:

Where does it say that?

In the Twitter.

Twitter doesn't specify if it's the goal or the sold number that is to consumers 

Yes it does.

LOL...maybe the PR will clarify thing:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/nov10/11-29msxboxblackfridaymopr.mspx

"...propelled retail sales of Kinect for Xbox 360 to more than 2.5 million units worldwide ..."

so sold to retailers then

Sold at retail.

So again we are back to how does MS know many, how accurate are the numbers, are they just saying it's sold because it's slightly less then shipped and stores appear to be almost sold out

nightsurge said:
heruamon said:
heruamon said:

One thing always bothers me when MS or any major company releases sold to consumer numbers, how the hell do they know exactly how much every single retailer has sold world wide, bottom line they don't they are either guessing or releasing shipped numbers when it's close to being sold out because they can get away with it 

It's not that hard, if you REALLY want to get the number, which I'm sure M$ wanted.  They upped their estimates, so they probably notified retailer to report all sales to them...why would it be difficult?  Walmart, for example, tracks EVERYTHING...which is why they were so good.  Now, if M$ wanted numbers for everything they sell, retialer might have a gripe with that...but notice that they report OVER 2.5, which accounts for the variance...

because kinect ships to 60,000 retailers in like 300 countries thats why it's difficult, it's not 10 phones calls, and I'm sure not all of them disclose their numbers 

If you started, WITH the intent to track sales, it's not that hard of a problem, but why would you...evidently, M$ wanted to be able to do so.  They don't need to track every sale, just the major batches from major retailers, since they aren't telling you, 2,524,234 kinect units sold...based on the order of magnitude, it is not that hard.  I'm sure all the major retailing outlet in most of Europe and North America can provide the data to M$.  As to why would they do so...maybe because M$ paid them to provide the data...afterall...they did budget $500 million to the launch EFFORT.

Again we are back to the fact thats it's just an estimate and we have no idea how accurate it is assuming it is even that rather then just claiming shiped are sold because they seem sold out in most places 

They are ALL estimates!  Oh my goodness you are so frustrating!  Even Nintendo's internal tracking service is an "estimation".

Get over the fact that Kinect is selling much better than you want.  Accept that what we have is sold to consumers numbers, because they are. According to Aaron Greenberg and MS it is sold to consumers, not shipped.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that mod staff haven't banned you yet after you have constantly tried to troll the 360 bringing up the old RROD talk, claiming MS is lying about figures, etc.

Sony's numbers aren't estimates, and with 500 million in advertising it better be selling good and since MS estimated that 68% failrate was within industry average I don't trust their math 

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
heruamon said:
heruamon said:

Sony's numbers aren't estimates, and with 500 million in advertising it better be selling good and since MS estimated that 68% failrate was within industry average I don't trust their math 

Shipped numbers aren't estimates.  Thanks for stating the obvious.  All sold to consumer numbers are estimates.   You were praising Nintendo so much and saying they can do track sold to consumbers, but it's actually still just an estimate.

OH NO's!  That means it is just a guess and we have no idea how accurate Nintendo's sold to consumers numbers are!

So if you are willing to accept Nintendo's "estimation/guess" to be reliable then you would also have to accept Microsoft's on Kinect.

It's selling more than good.  It's selling amazingly well, better than the competition which I think is what really is bothering you and keeps you arguing a losing battle on these threads.

They had it down as less than 9% for the first year and even specified a number. TBH I think we can all gather now your intentions. You won't believe any sales figures offered to you, so there's no point in anyone even trying to reason with you.

The sales are fine, but Kinect is supposed to appeal to non-gamers.  So I'm more interested in how many units were sold to people who didn't already own 360's.  In other words, how much of a boost is 360 getting thanks to Kinect?  If 360's hardware gets a massive boost, then I'd call Kinect a success.

nightsurge said:
nightsurge said:
heruamon said:
heruamon said:

Shipped numbers aren't estimates.  Thanks for stating the obvious.  All sold to consumer numbers are estimates.   You were praising Nintendo so much and saying they can do track sold to consumbers, but it's actually still just an estimate.

OH NO's!  That means it is just a guess and we have no idea how accurate Nintendo's sold to consumers numbers are!

So if you are willing to accept Nintendo's "estimation/guess" to be reliable then you would also have to accept Microsoft's on Kinect.

It's selling more than good.  It's selling amazingly well, better than the competition which I think is what really is bothering you and keeps you arguing a losing battle on these threads.

Not really nintendo is more reliable then MS, always has been, probably always will be, and nintendo has been doing it, we don't even know if MSes are tracked estimates or a little less then shipped 

RAZurrection said:

They had it down as less than 9% for the first year and even specified a number. TBH I think we can all gather now your intentions. You won't believe any sales figures offered to you, so there's no point in anyone even trying to reason with you.

9% is nowhere in that link, and even squaretrades (the lowest reported number) had it at 16.4%-35% years later (as in after the first year) so your number is bull