By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have a couple of Wii graphics question.

fazz said:
windbane said:
fazz said:
stuff

Graphically Galaxy pales in comparison to PS3 and 360 games. According to Wikipedia, which cites sources:

Processors:

Several dvelopers have compared it to XBox. The Wii is not far better than last-gen systems.

I'm not sure why people have to argue this. Just accept the graphics and move on. The games can still be fun.

First of all, Wikipedia is not exactly a good source, neither is IGN and their "insiders". Who could that be? Ubi? EA? Just consider that some of those guys games run worse on the PS3 compared to the 360 despite being a known fact that the PS3 is more powerful than the 360. I wouldn't trust them for anything related to hardware. And as a GC owner that played many GC games, I must say that nothing on the GC compares to Mario Galaxy. And no, I'm not saying it looks better than 360 games eh!

@souixan: Maybe Nintendo doesn't unlocks the HD resolutions because the Wii lacks the clock speed to render it at an acceptable framerate, especially considering the things some 3rd party developers have done on the Wii (PS2 graphics with low framerate). On another note, Gran Turismo 4 supported 1080i on the PS2... at how much framerate I don't know.

Maybe but 720p isn't -too- heavily demanding. 480p would definatly be capable of higher frame rates easier though from what I've seen the Wii's GPU is more capable then the Xbox's clock speed is important but there's a LOT of other factors involved with them. Pipelines, shaders etc It's possible and likely they kept games to 480p in order to keep framerates at a smooth 60(as far as PS2 games with low framerate that seems fault of developer I can see no reason for that to be a problem in all logic.) but honestly if they did 720p upscalling I could still see most games running smoothly at 40 FPS which is still very good, some at 60FPS.(to put it in perspective I've played PC games that max at 20FPS by nature it never really bothered me.. so long as it's smooth and doesn't dip or dramatically raise you won't notice it too much)

Around the Network

i have a question too

Could wii run Doom 3?

windbane said:
Sqrl said:

First of all you lost any credability when you went with "according to wikipedia" which is basically saying "according to some guy who also has a computer". You are far better off citing the sources directly.

More disturbing than people defending the Wii's graphics are those who feel the need to demean them. The real problem is the complete lack of hands on or practical experience from most of the people making these claims. The usual internet banter about which console has more oomph is nothing new, and has never gone anywhere.

When it boils right down to it most people don't have a clue what the different numbers cited mean. For example one of the most common comparisons used is to compare the Hz of two chips and declare one the victor based on that alone. If this sort of test made any practical sense then AMD would be long dead. But Mhz and Ghz aren't the end all be all of the computing world. And indeed many people have very little knowledge of what these numbers are referring to to begin with. I would actually go so far as to say that in a practical sense high Mhz and Ghz are becoming the enemy of the engineers of these machines as higher clock speeds do in fact equate to higher temperatures. This is why they try to get more done in each clock cycle in addition to actually increasing the clock speed.

Just the fact that the Wii was released several years after the Xbox means that its architecture is almost certainly going to be getting more done with every clock cycle than the Xbox...this is just the way processors and indeed computers and electronics in general work. So right out of the gate(no pun intended for those in the know) I can almost gaurantee you that 1 Hz (wii) > 1 Hz (xbox) and instantly that should tell you that any comparison purely based on Hz is going to be faulty without first examining the architectures themselves.

Now you might ask ok, how can we modify the comparison to be more accurate? And the answer is that without knowing specifics of the designs the only way to tell is with controlled practical real world comparisons, or otherwise known as: benchmarks. The upside of benchmarks is it helps cut out some of the BS and go straight to the end results, the bad part is that a poorly designed benchmark can provide completely false results.

With that said we have very little info to go on for the Wii and the result is that benchmarks and their practical comparisons, flawed as some may be, are the only option.

I've seen this same thread 50 times. Wii fans will not just admit that it's not a big step up from last-gen.

If you don't believe wikipedia then follow the links it provides. Like I said, the information is cited. Wikipedia is not wrong the majority of the time. The information is cited. Check it out.

Again, developers have compared the Wii to Xbox. I've played the games on Wii. I was shocked going from Ratchet to Galaxy. Art direction can only do so much. once I got into the game it was fine, but you can tell Galaxy is not on par with anything PS3 and 360 can do.

I'm not attacking the Wii's graphics. Just race reality, though. That's all I'm asking. I can see the graphics myself and it's no leap forward from Xbox. That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy my Wii. It's just a reason that multiplats from 360/PS3 won't likely be on the Wii.

I don't think you understand, I am not saying "I simple don't believe your assertion that the xbox is about as powerful as the Wii" I am telling you that common sense and basic understanding of the way computers advance tell anyone with any amount of information that this is false. In my post I specifically pointed out the extreme lack of understanding from people who post on the internet and debate these things, which is why citings from wikipedia are particularly useless. If you wish to make a point using those refrences then please do it, but I am not going to search wikipedia as a generic reference to debate against.

Now, I may not be an engineer payed for designing consoles, but I do understand the principles of and building blocks used within digital design. This last semester I actually built a 4-bit ALU (quite simple really). So I better know at least a little bit about how this stuff works. Again I won't claim to understand every aspect of this stuff particularly since GPUs are very complicated beast compared to a basic ALU, but I think I know enough to be part of an educated discussion on these topics, not many people here can likely say the same....

Now you say you aren't attacking the Wii's graphics, but in reality you are. Pretty much anyone with eyeballs knows that the xbox is not producing the same level of graphics as the Wii...and it had a full life cycle compared to the Wii which is still very early on in its life cycle. Time with the machine is a fairly well documented advantage in graphics so this is fairly counterintuitive to your points.

But really when I read your post it sounds like you are trying to bargain with people...if they will just accept this and move on you would be happy. But as long as you want to assert the Xbox is on par with the Wii I am going to challenge that assertion as it flies in the face of all observable facts...assumed, practical, and otherwise.

As for developers comments, you can find developers who said the Wii was just a fad as well. It doesn't make them right. In most situations I would take a dev's word for it if I felt they were otherwise trustworthy, but for this topic I think specifics are in order.

You are basically using a strawman argument right now. Everybody here is taking issue with the Xbox comparison and you are dodging that by acting shocked that anyone could think that the Wii is on the level of the PS3/360...but nobody is saying that. You are distracting folks from the real issue by propping up this fake argument that nobody is defending.

Perhaps in your reply you could spend a bit of time explaining the details of your Xbox position and site your own sources rather than constantly bringing up the PS3/360 comparison that nobody is making...well except you.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Ninman said:
i have a question too

Could wii run Doom 3?

short answer - probably long answer - I would think so but it's difficult to say as we don't know the system requirements for Console games as we do with PC games.

Sqrl, it's pointless...

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
salaminizer said:

Sqrl, it's pointless...

Probably true, but I had some time to kill between classes so no loss~

To Each Man, Responsibility

I think the main complaints for the graphics on the Wii come from the fact that most developers are lazy f&^%$. They port things from other systems and do not take advantage of the hardware. Games designed for the Wii that actually push the system's limits can and will look better than anything from the last generation.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

to whoever said gamecube couldn't do gta: sa. i thought this thread was about graphics. graphically gamecube could easily do gta and then some. no one is talking about disc size. and also you don't know how much of the ps2 disc was actually used in making gta. i'm sure it used a lot of space so even with compression techniques and what not its likely that the gc's minidiscs weren't big enough for that game. but graphically the cube coulda improved quite a bit on gta:sa.

as far as the wii's graphics yes it is capable of producing better grahpics than any system other than ps3/360 and its nowhere near those too. however because of the difference in power this gen instead of putting time into making high quality graphics on the wii (which would be better than anything last gen, just look at metroid, galaxy, ssbb, etc.) most 3rd party developers seem to be looking at it as a graphically simple system so they seem to not think wii owners want great graphics and so they skimp on that and thats why some games come out looking like last gen games. stupid developers don't get that just because the wii is much less powerful than ps360 that doesn't mean we don't want great graphics.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

kber81 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
Graphically... Dreamcast < Playstation 2 < Gamecube < Xbox > Wii << Xbox 360 < Playstation 3

Fixed.

Fixed.

</end thread>

Now posting in this thread merely because Shissy claims that it's over.

I'm a jerk like that.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.