By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have a couple of Wii graphics question.

So all the Nintendo haters out there seem to focus on one main point when putting down the Wii. That point is that the graphics are bad, and look like PS2 games. It is a fact that the Gamecube had a stronger engine to produce better graphics than a PS2, and I thought that the Wii was another step up from the Gamecube, thus making the Wii more graphically capable than a PS2.

Ok, so here are the questions: Does the Wii have a stronger graphics engine than a Gamecube? And do Gamecube games look better when played on the Wii (to me it looks like they do, but that doesn't really make sense, so I'm wondering if I'm just imagining it.)?

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Around the Network

Can the Wii produce better graphics than the Gamecube: Yes.
Does the Wii make Gamecube games look better: No.

the wii is a bit more powerful than the xbox (which was a bit more powerful than the cube)
no, cube games don't look better when played on wii.

Graphically... Dreamcast > Playstation 2 > Gamecube > Xbox > Wii > Xbox 360 > Playstation 3

The Wii is about 15% more powerful than the original Xbox. I have yet to see any Xbox game deliver better graphics than Super Mario Galaxy! Not only is it more powerul than the Xbox, but its innovative controller leaps the Wii, far past the Xbox, into the next generation, with the Xbox 360, and Playstation 3. Graphics, alone, do not make the next generation, and the Wii's innovative controller proves this!

a.l.e.x59 said:
Graphically... Dreamcast > Playstation 2 > Gamecube > Xbox > Wii > Xbox 360 > Playstation 3

The Wii is about 15% more powerful than the original Xbox. I have yet to see any Xbox game deliver better graphics than Super Mario Galaxy! Not only is it more powerul than the Xbox, but its innovative controller leaps the Wii, far past the Xbox, into the next generation, with the Xbox 360, and Playstation 3. Graphics, alone, do not make the next generation, and the Wii's innovative controller proves this!

i think all of your > should all be switched to <  unless you mean to assert that the graphics of the dreamcast is greater than that of the ps3/360

Around the Network

Wii is graphically superior to the Gamecube, but not many games really show off its potential right now. Mario Galaxy is the best example of what the Wii can do so far, and it's clearly better looking than any Gamecube game. I suspect the Wii can even do better than Galaxy, but it's the best example so far of graphics that clearly surpass the cube.

As far as Gamecube games looking better, the short answer is no. There is a bit of a long answer though. Many (or at least some) Gamecube games support 480p output. However, Nintendo removed the digital video out port from the Gamecube that allowed for component out not too far into its lifespan. Component cables for the Gamecube are also very hard to find because of this. So, unless you have an early model Gamecube and the hard to find component cables, 480i output over S-Video is the best video quality you'll get on Gamecube. The Wii fully supports 480p though and component cables are readily available. So, if you have a 480p capable TV, Gamecube games that support 480p will be able to take advantage of it and look better with component cables.

a.l.e.x59 said:

Just curious if you are basing the 15% on an actual fact you read and can site or is it just a rumor/guess you heard from someone else? I don't know what the power of the gamecube is compared to original xbox, but I heard(rumor I can't back up) that the wii is about twice as powerful as gamecube.

For wii = 2gc and wii = 1.15xbox, that would mean xbox = 1.7gc which I think is pretty unlikely. Ofcourse I could just be completely wrong about wii being twice as powerfull as gc. 

Its just the devs port ps2 games and using the same tools also. As well as the fact they been rushing games out quick to cash in on the wii's success.

First party games like smg, mp3 and brawl show its a more powerful system than the xbox.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

a.l.e.x59 said:

umm on raw speed the Wii's GPU and CPU are about 150% the speed of the Gamecubes. In addition the Wii links the texture and frame buffer memory units from a 2 mib & 1 mib to just one 3 mib unit. Add to it the Gamecube only had 24Mib of main Memory(43Mib total non-unified memory) where the Wii has 88Mib(24 on graphics and 64 external) I like the Wiis memory set up better and the Wii clearly has better then a 15% increase in both GPU and CPU GC - 486 MHz IBM PowerPC CPU (Gekko) Wii - 729 MHz IBM Power PC CPU(Broadway) GC - 162 MHz "Flipper" Wii - 243 MHz "Hollywood" There's more to it then simple MHz of course but I'm too lazy to list it off for comparison the PS2's Process was GPU- "Graphics Synthesizer" 147 MHz CPU- "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions) with 32 Mib of RDRAM(obsolete even then.. where the GC used DDR3 much better data rates) I could quote lot's of specs and the only way to interpret it is the GCN is stronger then the PS2 by a good deal. To think that wasn't true just prove blindness on your part.

@souixan

do you know stats for original xbox? was it higher or lower than gc?