By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wikileaks + US diplomacy = biggest "diplomatic" storm ever incoming !

Soleron said:

And we'd save a ton of money. All the defence companies could go too.

You must be stupid. The existence and performance of military-industrial complex is exactly one of the main reasons why America became superpower and took big win from WWII. It makes sense other countries getting rid of such companies there, only american weapons are supreme anyways and it can sell more this way. But American complex should remain, it's huge deal of the whole economics. What you said makes no sense.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
Vertigo-X said:

That's incredibly naive! We're not magically in the era of non-violence... If our armed forces were to disband tomorrow, there would be utter chaos!

No power would risk economic instability by an armed invasion of another, just like with nukes now. Violence in less developed countries would continue the same. Terrorism would continue the same; intelligence didn't help much to mitigate it and the amount of resources spent combating it produced a tiny effect compared to spending that money on road safety or stopping smoking.

Each country would keep a small militia (National Guard like) for civil issues and natural disasters, but they wouldn't operate abroad.

The major difference would be that we'd probably lose the Falkland Islands to Argentina, and Afghanistan would go back to being lawless. I think it's worth it.

And Russia would rexpand back to the USSR era levels.

China would conquer Taiwan.

Israel would forcibly deport the Palestinians and claim all of the Israel/Palestine area.

Smaller countries in general led by despots would likely see the "smaller" world as "fair game" and carve out their own empires that would rival the industrilized nations in size.

MDMAniac said:

Soleron said:

You must be stupid. The existence and performance of military-industrial complex is exactly one of the main reasons why America became superpower and took big win from WWII. It makes sense other countries getting rid of such companies there, only american weapons are supreme anyways and it can sell more this way. But American complex should remain, it's huge deal of the whole economics. What you said makes no sense.

But why do you need the weapons? Defence is just a big drain on resources, Amercan weapons companies don't produce anything of intrinsic value unless you 'need' an army which I don't believe you do.

All those skilled people and hours could be put to use in science and general engineering for the same cost and produce something of net worth.

@Kasz216

I'm not suggesting all countries give up military power, just the stable ones under no external threat (UK, USA, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Canada). Israel, Taiwan, former-USSR states and a number of others have excellent reasons for keeping a military.

Soleron said:
MDMAniac said:

Soleron said:

But why do you need the weapons?

To sell it to those poor bastards for some good profit?

China believes the two Koreas should be united under Seoul control.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/29/wikileaks.new.documents/index.html?hpt=T2

Thats great news.

Around the Network
MDMAniac said:
Soleron said:

But why do you need the weapons?

To sell it to those poor bastards for some good profit?

My parents work in defence (for a US company operating in the UK) and I'd still rather there was no defence industry. The way it works inside is repellant.

ManusJustus said:

Thats great news.

Hahahaha. Brilliant. I <3 WikiLeaks!

To all those who said it damages US, this one serves HUGE CROW for you. Damn, imagine tension it brings between Commies, lol.

Divide et Impera!!!

MDMAniac said:
ManusJustus said:

Thats great news.

To all those who said it damages US, this one serves HUGE CROW for you. Damn, imagine tension it brings between Commies, lol.

Divide et Impera!!!

China is a semi-democratic communist state that led by popular opinion of members of the communist party whereas North Korea is an autocratic Stalinist communist state led by one person, and Kim Jon Il has accomplished in his country what Stalin could only dream of in the USSR.

There are degrees to democracy.  In America any male or female over the age of 18 that has not committed a felony can vote.  Compare that to the 100 million members of the Chinese Communist Party that vote.  It is much less democratic, but its still a lot better than only having one person vote, which is the way it is in North Korea.

Hence, similar in name only, but not in policy or direction.  China actually has more in common with South Korea than North Korea, and has much more to gain from a friendship with South Korea.

MDMAniac said:
ManusJustus said:

Thats great news.

Divide et Impera!!!

This only confirms what I already said a hundred of times, this damages only the idiots who open all days threads how China will be North Korea's ally if their was a war etc;...

ManusJustus said:

China is a semi-democratic communist state ...

In what way is China semi-democratic? My girlfriend is Chinese, I've been there, I know quite a few Chinese people and I never heard of any democracy there.

Incidentally I also disagree that China's regime is communist, in fact they're more capitalist than the US or any EU country in almost every significant way.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957