By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokemon Black/White Thread

Version exclusives have been added!

Now to get someone to sticky this...

Around the Network

By the way, I've been lurking around Smogon (the Competitive Pokemon community) and from what I've been hearing, these Pokemon are to be feared this coming generation:

This guy has monstrous Attack, excellent dual typing (Ground/Steel), and has access to an ability that will make it one of the most over used Pokemon: Sand Throw. This ability doubles its already great speed (88) when in a sandstorm. So basically, this guy has 135 Attack and incredible speed... scary!

Now this guy has an even more monstrous Attack stat than the guy above him (140 attack!!!). He's pretty much Machamp with better stats (although Machamp still has No Guard, so he still has a role to play). But what really makes him scary is Drain Punch. Imagine how much HP he'll recover when he hits you with that attack (60 power... but with that 140 attack... it'll do major damage). Killing him wont be easy.

At first this little cuddly guy doesn't look that great... but then you notice his ability: Mischevious Heart. This makes it so that non-damaging attacks have priority. Pretty much, this guy laughs at Pokemon that have huge Speed stats, because he'll just Stun Spore them before they can even react. This guy is meant to troll guys like Mr. Mole up there... heck, he can even troll Deoxys-S and Ninjask.

Water types have been known for their bulky-ness. This guy is no exception. Heck, he even has THREE immunities (Normal, Fighting, and Water due to his ability) and great devensive stats (especially special defense). And the fact that his Special Attack isn't abysmal should help it take damage and DO damage. Boiling Water can also help him cripple enemy attackers.

This is the defensive king of this generation. Nice defensive typing (fire's the only thing that can really hurt him), fantastic defense on both sides... and great attack! Who cares if his speed is abysmal? His job is to take attacks like a champ and deal damage back. Every defensive/stall team needs to at least consider having this guy on their team.

This guy isn't just scary because of its INSANE 145 Special Attack, but because of its dreamworld ability: Shadow Tag. This guy can be one of the best revenge killers in the game. Sure, its speed isn't the best, but the fact that any Pokemon cannot escape Shandera... well that's a scary thought. Not even the toughest Special Defenders want to be in the ring with Shandera.

I think Game-Freak had a little too much fun this generation with the attackers. This guy has 147 attack... 147! That's ridiculous! And with 97 Speed, it has a great chance of hitting first. No one, no one... wants to be hit by this guy. Just imagine... STAB 120 Outrage by this guy... scary...

The "Pseudo-Legendary" of Gen 5, Shazandora has great typing for an attack (Dark/Dragon). Plus, its the only dragon type to really be more of an Special Attacker, so it has a unique place in competitive battles. It also helps that this guy's attack list goes on and on... so you'll never be sure what this dragon will hit you with next. Plus, this thing just looks plain ol' nasty!

Okay, so this guy's typing is awful. With Bug/Fire... half this guy's HP is gone from one Stealth Rock. Still, this guy has butterfly dance... a ridiculous Stat boosting move. If you let this guy set up with Butterfly dance, it's all over.

With great attacking typing (Rock/Fighting) and great stats, this guy is going to be the favorite of the three "elemental legendaries".

Bloody hell, those are serious killer statistics. I got my eye on that cuddly one up there.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

As far as competitive play goes I think these are also worth mentioning.

Kojondo is a pretty popular lead, if only to Fake-Out and then U-turn.  Also, Its High Jump Kick does more than Close Combat/Superpower/insert popular fighting type move here.  Basically, your Anti-lead.

Zoroark is a pretty good special attacker but Illusion is why its getting quite a bit of use.  The surprise Night Burst is pretty damaging.

Kerudio is pretty much the special equalivent to Terrakion.  Also it's probably the best user of Mystery Blade out there.

Pixel Art can be fun.

man, really not trying to look at the pics (wont play it till it comes out in the EU, dont want to spoil it)

do the new Pokemon Versions finally have like real "Sidequests"?

and did they change anything with the breeding, with the EVs and DV's?

Around the Network

I better start training again.

crazy excited for this, come on US release!!

Okay, so while I'm getting to work on this, let's not forget that there's only ONE MONTH TO GO! Let's get this hype train back on track. ^_^

So let's start out with the question of the week!

Can you list your favorite mainline Pokemon games?

For me it probably goes something like this:

1. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal & Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (GBC & DS)

• Pokemon Gold/Silver still has the best single player experience in the series, and with the current battle system implementations from Diamond/Pearl in HeartGold/SoulSilver, the game is the best from both worlds. Superb game. And lets not forget that this was the game that introduced Dark types, my favorite type in the game (still love you Water types though!)

2. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow & FireRed/LeafGreen (GB & GBA)

• Pokemon Red/Blue is the Pokemon game that means the most to me as a gamer, and it always will be. Still, it had a fantastic adventure and the original 151 Pokemon are as amazing as ever. FireRed/LeafGreen were nice updates as well.

3. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (DS)

• This was the Pokemon game that got me into competitive battling, and I had a blast playing it. While some of the new Pokemon felt a little tacked on, many of the new evolutions to older Pokemon (like Weavile and Leafeon) rank as some of my favorite Pokemon ever. The battle system is the best yet.

4. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (GBA)

• While not a bad game in any sense of the phrase, Ruby/Sapphire felt the most forgettable to me. The new Pokemon felt uninspired as well (at least Altaria is awesome!). Still, the addition of abilites was a great new feature that really made the Pokemon unique from one another.

*goes back to work*

I am not sure if I should buy Pokémon Black/White, I've moved on from that! Try and convince me Smeags!!! 

You know what sucked big time about both R/B/Y and G/S/C?

They sucked, late game.  They were a blast to play until you beat the Elite Four/Red respectively.

If anything, I felt that R/S/E and D/P/Pt were better after the Elite Four/Red.  Rematches you didn't need phone calls for, Battle Tower that gave you stuff for success, Berry growing(well I liked it), Secret Bases/Underground, I seldom ever so I need to make a new playthrough in either generation.

Pixel Art can be fun.