By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokemon Black/White Thread

Kamal said:
lestatdark said:
Kamal said:

What is EV training?

I really want to get white next week but I really want to have a ground, water and grass typed team was wandering out of this generation which are really good picks for that.

EV training is rising the Effort Values of individual stats. EV's are hidden numbers that go from 0-255 in each individual stat, and the higher the amount of EV's on any stat increases the amount of points you get per level up. 4 EV's in any stat equals 1 extra point in that stat when you hit level 100. 

For example, with 255 EV's on SP.Atk, my Alakazam on HeartGold was gaining 7/8 points in that stat, per level, after level 62.

Oh I see.

What about the second query?

Sorry, missed that one.

Well, there's Seismitoad (final evolution of Tympole), which is a Ground/Water (part of my Black team). In comparison, he's much stronger than Quagsire was, and excluding Samurott (last evolution of Oshawott), he's the strongest Water-type pokemon.

Excadrill (final evolution of Drilbur), a Ground/Steel pokemon, is a very strong and fast sweeper, and with Hone Claws, you can get his attack power to insane levels and near-perfect accuracy. The only drawback is that it has the lowest defense for a Steel type pokemon, but his HP makes up for it.

Leavanny (final evolution of Sewaddle), is one of the best grass pokemon in the game (if not the best). It can destroy Serperior and pretty much any other pure Grass type, given it's very high attack stat and it's Bug/Grass typing. Plus, it's very fast and even though it has 4x weakness to Flying and Fire, it has super effective STAB moves against a lot of types (Dark, Psychic, Ground, Water, Rock, Grass), so you can't go wrong with it.

Krokodile (final evolution of Sandile), it's a Dark/Ground pokemon, who functions as an attack sweeper, which is like the attacker counterpart of Zoroark. It's fast enough to outspeed almost all of it's counterpart types and has a very high attack stat, but you can also use it to set up Torments, Taunts, Thiefs, you name it. Also, it learns Outrage. 

These are the ones I would recommend out of experience.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:

How long does Pokerus last? 

My Emboar caught it while fighting in the 6th gym, and now my entire team has Pokerus XD.

The hell is Pokerus???

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

lestatdark said:

My Emboar caught it while fighting in the 6th gym, and now my entire team has Pokerus XD.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokérus

an infected pokemon can infect others for two days, after that it will still gain the effects of the virus but is no longer contagious. although i think if you put it in the PC boxes the time isn't counted

Conegamer said:
lestatdark said:

The hell is Pokerus???

Pokerus is a rare condition that can happen to any pokemon in your party. While under the effects of Pokerus, you gain double the amount of EV's you would normally earn. Every pokemon in your party will be infected after a couple of battles if any of them catches it.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Conegamer said:
lestatdark said:

The hell is Pokerus???

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokerus

Pretty cool actually lol. 

Around the Network
DrZoidberg said:
lestatdark said:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokérus

an infected pokemon can infect others for two days, after that it will still gain the effects of the virus but is no longer contagious. although i think if you put it in the PC boxes the time isn't counted

Thanks man, I've already put a Litwick with Pokerus on my box to transfer it to White.

I'm going on a massive EV hunt with my Dragon team, once I send Reshiram to White

Current PC Build

Fraxure (level 39) plus Expert Belt plus Rock Tomb = Ice Gym destruction xD.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:

How do you go about EV training?  Can you give me the ins and outs?  I've been playing since the first game, but my startegy only extends as far as knowing types like sweepers etc. and using moves, natures and types lol.  Never bothered with this EV business, but maybe you can put it plainly...

NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:

How do you go about EV training?  Can you give me the ins and outs?  I've been playing since the first game, but my startegy only extends as far as knowing types like sweepers etc. and using moves, natures and types lol.  Never bothered with this EV business, but maybe you can put it plainly...

Well, it's pretty much what I explained before. Each stat has it's own individual Effort Value; whenever you defeat a pokemon, they give some EV's, depending on the stat they're most proficient on (for example, Gastly gives 1 EV on Sp.Atk, Psyduck gives 1 EV on Sp. Def, etc). 

EV's go from 0 to 255. For every extra 4 EV points that you have on any individual stat, you'll have an extra point on that stat when you hit level 100.

This gen, EV training is a bit different than in previous gens. In revious gens, when you'd hit level 100, whatever stats and EV's that you had at that time, would be the permanent stats for that pokemon. This gen, even if you hit level 100, you can continue to gain EV's because stats will be recalculated for the amount of EV's after each battle ends. 

This happened with my Axew. When I was levelling him up, at level 33 he had 80 HP. During the middle of his exp bar, I saw his HP switch to 81 due to EV recalculations.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:

Well, it's pretty much what I explained before. Each stat has it's own individual Effort Value; whenever you defeat a pokemon, they give some EV's, depending on the stat they're most proficient on (for example, Gastly gives 1 EV on Sp.Atk, Psyduck gives 1 EV on Sp. Def, etc). 

EV's go from 0 to 255. For every extra 4 EV points that you have on any individual stat, you'll have an extra point on that stat when you hit level 100.

This gen, EV training is a bit different than in previous gens. In revious gens, when you'd hit level 100, whatever stats and EV's that you had at that time, would be the permanent stats for that pokemon. This gen, even if you hit level 100, you can continue to gain EV's because stats will be recalculated for the amount of EV's after each battle ends. 

This happened with my Axew. When I was levelling him up, at level 33 he had 80 HP. During the middle of his exp bar, I saw his HP switch to 81 due to EV recalculations.

So this can be a tedious process somewhat, due to having to run away from pokemon proficient in the other 4 stats?  Might be worth it, based on some of the insane stat raising I've been told about.