By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC Pokemon Black/White Thread

NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:
NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:

Fraxure (level 39) plus Expert Belt plus Rock Tomb = Ice Gym destruction xD.

How do you go about EV training?  Can you give me the ins and outs?  I've been playing since the first game, but my startegy only extends as far as knowing types like sweepers etc. and using moves, natures and types lol.  Never bothered with this EV business, but maybe you can put it plainly...

Well, it's pretty much what I explained before. Each stat has it's own individual Effort Value; whenever you defeat a pokemon, they give some EV's, depending on the stat they're most proficient on (for example, Gastly gives 1 EV on Sp.Atk, Psyduck gives 1 EV on Sp. Def, etc). 

EV's go from 0 to 255. For every extra 4 EV points that you have on any individual stat, you'll have an extra point on that stat when you hit level 100.

This gen, EV training is a bit different than in previous gens. In revious gens, when you'd hit level 100, whatever stats and EV's that you had at that time, would be the permanent stats for that pokemon. This gen, even if you hit level 100, you can continue to gain EV's because stats will be recalculated for the amount of EV's after each battle ends. 

This happened with my Axew. When I was levelling him up, at level 33 he had 80 HP. During the middle of his exp bar, I saw his HP switch to 81 due to EV recalculations.

So this can be a tedious process somewhat, due to having to run away from pokemon proficient in the other 4 stats?  Might be worth it, based on some of the insane stat raising I've been told about. 

Yeah it is a very tedious process, but in this gen, given the continuity of earning EV's even when your levels are maxed, you can speed the process by battling multi EV pokemon or those who give 3 EV's on any individual stat (Pokerus also helps, by giving 2X the amount of EV's).

Yeah, the stats increase is insane. In Heart Gold, my Sp.Atk EV trained Alakazam was gaining 7 to 8 points per level in that stat.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:

that's awfully bold of you rolling with a dragon (weak to ice) into an ice gym, props to  you for training him well

just got my axew, looking forward to having him dominate as well

DrZoidberg said:
lestatdark said:

that's awfully bold of you rolling with a dragon (weak to ice) into an ice gym, props to  you for training him well

just got my axew, looking forward to having him dominate as well

It did take me quite a few lemonades, especially on the Gym leader battle, because I had to set up Dragon Dance for speed against the Cryogonal (the biggest threat for Fraxure), other than that it wasn't that hard, especially since I got lucky with Rock Tomb almost never missing.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

just caught Cobalion!!

actually got off pretty easy, paralyzed it and only took 2 ultra balls

I bought White, but it'll take me like five more days to finish Fire Emblem

Just from scanning the guide, it sounds like a good Dark type would steamroll half the Elite IV

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Just from scanning the guide, it sounds like a good Dark type would steamroll half the Elite IV

You're right, but Chandelure is much harder to defeat than you'd think. I thought that Zoroark would easily beat him, but his insanely high Sp.Atk made short work of him >_<.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Mr Khan said:

You're right, but Chandelure is much harder to defeat than you'd think. I thought that Zoroark would easily beat him, but his insanely high Sp.Atk made short work of him >_<.

I'm so going to have a chandelure on my team, he looks soooo freakin' cool.  I gotta say, I haven't even started playing yet, and I'm warming up to a good number of these designs.....this makes me happy.  I haven't *really* liked a new group since Gen 2 really...

NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:
Mr Khan said:

I'm so going to have a chandelure on my team, he looks soooo freakin' cool.  I gotta say, I haven't even started playing yet, and I'm warming up to a good number of these designs.....this makes me happy.  I haven't *really* liked a new group since Gen 2 really...

I only knew how cool was Chandelure much later in the game, otherwise I would have had him on my White team as well. There's a good selection of psychic, ghost and dark pokemon in the new games, shame that it's lacking in other types, like Fire, Water and Flying.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
NYANKS said:
lestatdark said:
Mr Khan said:

I only knew how cool was Chandelure much later in the game, otherwise I would have had him on my White team as well. There's a good selection of psychic, ghost and dark pokemon in the new games, shame that it's lacking in other types, like Fire, Water and Flying.

Flying I don't mind, they always have  a lot.  Water is really that bad?  And fire, I think this might be because they are so good lol, they always do this.

I'm beginning to wonder why I never used Axew/Fraxure/Haxorus on my White team. OHKO to every pokemon in the last gym is pretty damn amazing, not even Vanillish  could do that. Also, it's pretty cool when your pokemon gains more Atk than HP points per level (2-3 HP to 3-4 Atk)

Also Dual Chop >>> Dragon Claw.

Current PC Build