By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for Wii Petition.

LordTheNightKnight said: 

First of all, there have been internet petitions that worked. Elder Scrolls IV was ported to Japan, thanks to a petition, and Bioshock got a collector's edition due to one, although those were western developers, to Capcom remains to be seen here.

Second, I do think that if RE5 gets a port on the Wii (likely from sales of the current Wii RE games), Capcom may as well port RE4 to the 360, just so fans can experience that game.

Third, Capcom does support the DS. The Ace Attorney series has been a Nintendo handheld exclusive from the beginning. It's what people will buy that determines their support. Resident Evil DS did only moderately well, while Monster Hunter 1 & 2 are the two million-selling PSP games in Japan, so they do have reason to support the PSP as well. 

Well, I hope the petition works, but I'm not cashing my chips on it.

I'm surprised they haven't ported RE4 to more consoles, honestly.

Monster Hunter may have sold over a million on the PSP in Japan, but they'd be well over 3-4 million had they been released on the DS instead. The userbase difference is just too large. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
tombi123 said:
@Lord

well there is just a temptation to make a half-arsed port for very little cost which would still sell loads. I would prefer a completely new game which is definitely going to be top quality.

I don't think you realize almost no port costs a lot of money in the first place. Aside from being done after the fact, a port is the same principle as a multiplatform game. Multiplatform games are known to cost a mere ten to fifteen percent of the original game. Until someone tells us otherwise, we can assume ports cost about that much, since everything is already done, aside from coding on the new system.

Basically, the ports of RE4 cost a fraction of what RE4 did at first, and those are still considered quality ports (aside from the PC version, but that wasn't done by Capcom). They aren't perfect, but cutting a few corners is not half-assing it.

A simple port doesn't cost much (RE4, Okami), RE5 would not be a simple port (which I've gone over many times).

Smash_Brother said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

First of all, there have been internet petitions that worked. Elder Scrolls IV was ported to Japan, thanks to a petition, and Bioshock got a collector's edition due to one, although those were western developers, to Capcom remains to be seen here.

Second, I do think that if RE5 gets a port on the Wii (likely from sales of the current Wii RE games), Capcom may as well port RE4 to the 360, just so fans can experience that game.

Third, Capcom does support the DS. The Ace Attorney series has been a Nintendo handheld exclusive from the beginning. It's what people will buy that determines their support. Resident Evil DS did only moderately well, while Monster Hunter 1 & 2 are the two million-selling PSP games in Japan, so they do have reason to support the PSP as well.

Well, I hope the petition works, but I'm not cashing my chips on it.

I'm surprised they haven't ported RE4 to more consoles, honestly.

Monster Hunter may have sold over a million on the PSP in Japan, but they'd be well over 3-4 million had they been released on the DS instead. The userbase difference is just too large.

Those games were ports of PS2 games, so making portable versions of them simply made more sense on the PSP.

twesterm said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
tombi123 said:
@Lord

well there is just a temptation to make a half-arsed port for very little cost which would still sell loads. I would prefer a completely new game which is definitely going to be top quality.

I don't think you realize almost no port costs a lot of money in the first place. Aside from being done after the fact, a port is the same principle as a multiplatform game. Multiplatform games are known to cost a mere ten to fifteen percent of the original game. Until someone tells us otherwise, we can assume ports cost about that much, since everything is already done, aside from coding on the new system.

Basically, the ports of RE4 cost a fraction of what RE4 did at first, and those are still considered quality ports (aside from the PC version, but that wasn't done by Capcom). They aren't perfect, but cutting a few corners is not half-assing it.

A simple port doesn't cost much (RE4, Okami), RE5 would not be a simple port (which I've gone over many times).

No, you didn't. You gave a laundry list of things, but merely claimed they would be expensive and time consuming. That's all you did. You just insisted they will be expensive and time consuming. Insisting is not proof.

The fact is that when ports are discussed, almost no one says they will be as expensive as an original game on the system getting the port. Unless the rules have changed, your word is NOT proof this will be any different.

If it is, someone from Capcom will have to tell us, not someone claiming they work in a gaming studio, which you still haven't told me what it is, even though I asked. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

twesterm said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
tombi123 said:
@Lord

No, you didn't. You gave a laundry list of things, but merely claimed they would be expensive and time consuming. That's all you did. You just insisted they will be expensive and time consuming. Insisting is not proof.

The fact is that when ports are discussed, almost no one says they will be as expensive as an original game on the system getting the port. Unless the rules have changed, your word is NOT proof this will be any different.

If it is, someone from Capcom will have to tell us, not someone claiming they work in a gaming studio, which you still haven't told me what it is, even though I asked.

Well I was under the impression that the laundry list was the proof unless you're telling me that the Wii can handle a game made for the 360 and PS3 and meant to push its limits. If not, then everything would need to be done and a full team would be needed.

Simple ports are inexpensive because they don't require anywhere near a full team. Even if the port takes time, it's still not expensive because it doesn't need a full team. Because everything in RE5 would have to be reconsidered and looked at all over again, it would need a full team. A full team for what we can only hope would be a quality title means expensive.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Those games were ports of PS2 games, so making portable versions of them simply made more sense on the PSP.

Ah, I see. That makes sense then. As for the port, the GC having massively superior graphics didn't stop Capcom from porting RE4 to the PS2 (even though it looked terrible). I'd take a port with shoddy graphics and Wiimote-driven gameplay, personally. I LOVED RE4 Wii's new control scheme and I couldn't imagine returning to analogue stick aiming.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Smash_Brother said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Ah, I see. That makes sense then. As for the port, the GC having massively superior graphics didn't stop Capcom from porting RE4 to the PS2 (even though it looked terrible). I'd take a port with shoddy graphics and Wiimote-driven gameplay, personally. I LOVED RE4 Wii's new control scheme and I couldn't imagine returning to analogue stick aiming.

The thing is though, while the GC was in fact more powerful than the PS2 they were still not that far apart.  The PS2 could push an insane amount of poly's and the GC did great on textures.  This is pretty close to the whole idea that while the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, they're both in the same league.

When going from a PS3/360 game to the Wii, then you have problems.  These two systems are in totally different leagues (power wise) and bouncing from one to the other is a bigger deal.

twesterm said:

Well I was under the impression that the laundry list was the proof unless

You don't know the degree that would have to be done, so they are not proof.

you're telling me that the Wii can handle a game made for the 360 and PS3

It wouldn't be that game. It would be the parts unrelated to the code, adapted to the Wii's code. Duh.

and meant to push its limits.

Where did Capcom say RE5 would push either system to their limits? They may have, but link or it didn't happen.

If not, then everything would need to be done and a full team would be needed.

Not necessarily. If that is the ONLY applicable condition that a full team would not be needed, then it would need a full team, but you are just implying that is the only condition, not actually proving it.

Simple ports are inexpensive because they don't require anywhere near a full team.

No. RE4 on the PS2 did have a full team. Okami on the Wii is having a full team from Ready at Dawn. So assuming RE5 on the Wii has a full team, that is not proof it will be expensive, as other ports have a full team, and are not expensive.

Even if the port takes time, it's still not expensive because it doesn't need a full team. Because everything in RE5 would have to be reconsidered and looked at all over again,

WHERE'S THE PROOF THEY WILL HAVE TO BE? Don't relist the items, tell me WHY those items will have to be done that way.

it would need a full team. A full team for what we can only hope would be a quality title means expensive.

Wrong. As I stated, ports have had full teams, and cost barely any more than ports without. So your claim is built on a faulty premise.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

the wii could definitely handle this game. the graphics would be taken out but the gameply experience with the wiimote and nunchuck would get even grandma's shooting zombies. this game could sell better on wii than the others with advertising. (look how re4 wii sold 1 million on a 16 million userbase compared to ps2's 2 million on a 100 million userbase?)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
daactualfact said:
the wii could definitely handle this game. the graphics would be taken out but the gameply experience with the wiimote and nunchuck would get even grandma's shooting zombies. this game could sell better on wii than the others with advertising. (look how re4 wii sold 1 million on a 16 million userbase compared to ps2's 2 million on a 100 million userbase?)

I do agree money would be the primary reason a port would happen. It just remains to be seen if Capcom sees that.

BTW, twestern still has not answered my question about what game developer he is supposed to be working with. 

My my, some people are so desperate for the 360/PS3 to keep their games. This is the Wii's generation, if you want mainstream games with HD graphics, wait till the Wii2 comes out with them next gen or play on the PC.

You thought you had it all sorted out by playing the Wii for innovative novelty titles while the serious games will be save for the 360/PS3, now this proposal or RE5 on the Wii threatens that compromise you've made in your attempt to make sense of this generation of disruption.

Face it, you're not going to be able to have your cake and eat it too this generation.